• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Amature help

eegeland

Hi all,

I have smoked about 50 cigars to date and would like some advice if possible. I find I like a cigar with a strong chewing tabacco (leaf) taste. I hesitate to be as vague as "flavor" but that is what I am looking for.

I tend to taste a lot of "licking an ashtray" flavor in most (La Flor, La Gloria, some Rockys). Discovered I dont like CT wrappers as they taste too much like dirt to me (Macanudo Hampton). I also have found mild cigars dont offer much flavor at all and very strong ones (CAO LX2) seem to strong to enjoy any flavor. I do like Cohiba red dots and CAO Brazilla & Criollo for reference. But still looking for that mouth full of flavor.

Any suggestions? I do have list of likes and dislikes if that would help.

Thanks
Rick

I never had a cigar that tasted like Redman. Maybe you should dip your cigars in molases.
ohmy.gif

Doc.

Mmmmm mouth full of flavor!

Get yourself a davidoff millennium blend or an opus.

Hi all,

I have smoked about 50 cigars to date and would like some advice if possible. I find I like a cigar with a strong chewing tabacco (leaf) taste. I hesitate to be as vague as "flavor" but that is what I am looking for.

I tend to taste a lot of "licking an ashtray" flavor in most (La Flor, La Gloria, some Rockys). Discovered I dont like CT wrappers as they taste too much like dirt to me (Macanudo Hampton). I also have found mild cigars dont offer much flavor at all and very strong ones (CAO LX2) seem to strong to enjoy any flavor. I do like Cohiba red dots and CAO Brazilla & Criollo for reference. But still looking for that mouth full of flavor.

Thanks
Rick

PM souldog. He'll gladly give you that "mouth full of flavor" you are searching for. At least that's what he did for jfields. :whistling:

First off, please post an into in the intro forum. It's considered bad form to not do so.

To your question, if I'm reading you right, seems like you're more interested in medium bodied cigars? One of my favorites is LFD which you mentioned you thought tasted like an ashtray. Off the top of my head I would recommend Don Pepin Blue Label, and maybe even a Padron. Lots of guys here like Tatuaje (also La Riqueza, Cabiguan, and whatever else I'm leaving out).

I'll let the others give some better recommendations.

Hi all,

Thanks
Rick

PM souldog. He'll gladly give you that "mouth full of flavor" you are searching for. At least that's what he did for jfields. :whistling:

I hate you.

My favorite mediums are the Oliva O series. Both the natural and maduro.

Liga Privada T-52
Cabaiguan Guapo Maduro
El Triunfador Lancero
Arturo Fuente Anejo

I am on numerous motorcycle racing forums. Glad to see smart ass is a forum disease and not just limited to racers :D

I know everyone's taste is different, making a question like this difficult. So thanks for all the recomendations! Based on your choices, it seems the first thing I need to do is put down the Thompson cigar catalog. I think their samplers may have... wait for it... left a bad taste in my mouth.

I am on numerous motorcycle racing forums. Glad to see smart ass is a forum disease and not just limited to racers :D

I know everyone's taste is different, making a question like this difficult. So thanks for all the recomendations! Based on your choices, it seems the first thing I need to do is put down the Thompson cigar catalog. I think their samplers may have... wait for it... left a bad taste in my mouth.

Honestly you should check out the newbie sampler thread in B/S/T and crosspost the stuff from your first post there. Someone can probably set you up a fairly diverse sampler including some stuff you won't find in an altadis or thompson catalog.

Mag cigars are icky! Let some of the FOGs help you out in the Newbie sampler trade. :)

1. Burn that catalog!!

2. Check the newbie sampler trade. You will not be disappointed.

3. Also don't worry about those Sneed and Souldog asshats. They have a long time bromance and have tried to keep it in the closet but their gayness oozes into everything they do.:sign:

I never had a cigar that tasted like Redman.

Doc.

It's funny you should say that Doc....I got in some free Siglo Maduros from Altadis last week and the first thing I thought of when I fired one up was "damn, this reminds me of Redman"

There you go eegeland, your cigar that tastes like chewing tobacco. Hell, if you pm me your addy, I'll send you the two I have left.

:0 Sonuva...........

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'll 2nd the throw out Thompsons cigar catalog. Some of my go to med-full flavor cigars would include Don Pepin Series JJ Maduro, Joya de Nicaragua Antanos , Graycliff Double Espresso (if I can find them on special), and CAO Italias.

La Riqueza #4. My favorite. Cant go wrong with Padron Maddies either.

Brian

I never had a cigar that tasted like Redman.

Doc.

It's funny you should say that Doc....I got in some free Siglo Maduros from Altadis last week and the first thing I thought of when I fired one up was "damn, this reminds me of Redman"

There you go eegeland, your cigar that tastes like chewing tobacco. Hell, if you pm me your addy, I'll send you the two I have left.

Cool, Ill send ya a Oliva Serie V in return if you want. Top 5 CA pick for 2009 but didnt bowl me over. I might go back on my redman request once my palat gets a little more experience but for now thats what I THINK i want.Ill PM you.

:0 Sonuva...........

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sampler trade... what a fantastic idea. I checked it out. Will jump in as soon as I get my PC back with my spreadsheet-O-cigars so I can explain what I like and dont like a little more specifically (using wifes lap top now). I asked and recieved! Awesome forum gents, thanks!!! :thumbs:

First of all - how is that nobody busted Rick's chops for the topic spelling error? I've not been hanging out in this forum as much lately - but really? Have things changed around here *that* much? Seriously - now that browsers point out spelling errors, there's really no excuse.

Ok - on with the show.

I'm thinking yes - burn the Thompson catalog...kindling is their purpose. I'm also thinking Mark's suggestion of the Joya de Nicaragua Antaño 1970 fits the flavor profile for which Rick is searching. Furthermore, the Alec Bradley Maxx might also fit the bill.

First of all - how is that nobody busted Rick's chops for the topic spelling error? I've not been hanging out in this forum as much lately - but really? Have things changed around here *that* much? Seriously - now that browsers point out spelling errors, there's really no excuse.

It was a spelling error, not a blatant misuse of the shift key or the English language. Yea, we still point out if someone posts something with no caps, punctuation, or frequent spelling errors, but to "bust somebody's chops" for a single spelling error is pretty damn petty in my opinion. I would hope we'd be above something like that, much less pointing it out the way you just did.

Edit for spelling. :rolleyes: