• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

And so the experiment begins.....

Lumberg

Opus Lover
I have acquired both 65 and 70% climmax beads so I have embarked on an experiment. I have put several sticks of which I have duplicates into tupperdors at each humidity.

Some of the selection includes Opus X, WOAM, Don Asa, Mr. Bs, Montecristo ISOMs, and Prdrons among others. I can post a full list if anyone wants.

The idea is to let the cigars stabilize for about a month adn then start smokin' em and taking notes!

Sounds interesting. Let us know how this goes. So far I seem to prefer them closer to 65% than to 70%.

I'd be interested in the results of your experiment.

For those that like to skip to the last few pages of a book to read the ending :sneaky: .............. The cigars stored at 65 will smoke better! :) Class dismissed! LOL :D

I agree on the lower humidity. I'm finding that my stoges smoke better when RH is <70%. I try to keep my humidor in the 67% range, but I don't get too freaked if it varies by a point or two.

Kenny said it all. I can almost guarantee you will like the 65% better. I've been doing my own little experiment keeping a small humi at 60% and so far so VERY good :D I may have to beg Vern to make me a batch of 60% beads :0

Forgive me if this sounds stupid, but if cigars stored at a lower humidity smoke better, why do so many people store their cigars at 70%?

Well...you have what's refered to as the "70/70" theory...and sense that information is well known...that is the information most people get. Where that originated from beats the hell outta me. So if you asked anyone aside from us internet cigar communtiy "psychos"...you'll get the above answer...that's probably why so many people shoot for 70. :)

Go to england.

They store it at 65 over there. Just some dumbass over here who wanted to be different

I keep my DOM's at 70 and my ISOM @ 65-67

works for me

Lumberg said:
Forgive me if this sounds stupid, but if cigars stored at a lower humidity smoke better, why do so many people store their cigars at 70%?
I don't know of very many people that have been smoking cigars for any amount of time who stores their cigars at 70%. I have experienced a lot of people who like to keep their domestics around 67-68 and their habanos around 65. My cabinet hangs around 64, sometimes a little higher and sometimes a little lower. (swings between 62-66 but mostly hangs at 64) All I can tell you is that since I switched from the 68-70 range down to the lower humidity my smokes have smoked flawlessly. I can not recall the last time I had a runner or had to deal with constantly relighting a cigar. And no, the cigars do not "dry out" in the low 60's.

Sometimes you have to go with what you know and not what you read. Continue with your test..... let them sit for at least one month, two would be better. You'll soon be selling your 70% beads....LOL! ;)

I was reading an article that got way too complicated way too fast for me. It basically said that what is really important is the volume of moisture actually in the air (Ithink thats what it said) and that volume will vary based on room temperature. 70% only applies at exactly 70 degrees. Very little temperature change is going to make a big difference in humidity required to maintain the same volume of moisture. They had a table and everything. My house is too cold for me at 70 I like 72.

I really need to find the link so somebody smarter can read it and explain it to me.

The important thing is what works for you and your cigars. Lots of factors will go in to the correct level for you and if it works for you don't let anyone give you **** about it no matter what it is, it works for you.

Some want long term storage and don't want to loose the oils that contribute so much of the flavor. Some want to smoke right a way and want no burn issues at all. Some want to promote bloom and live for cigars with bloom on them. Some smoke box pressed or other types of cigars that don't deal with higher percentages as well as others might. Some people have problems with a dry climate or house and need the extra margin of safety a higher percentage gives them. Some feel higher percentage keeps the smoking cooler for a while at the expense of more burn issues. The list goes on and on and on.

I'm not going to say anyone is wrong. If it works for you then go for it. If your having problems then think through what the problem is and if a different humidity might help solve it. If so then try it and see. They're your smokes, smoke em the way you want.

England and Europe has a tradition of dryer cigars. They used to ship them over much dryer then we like them because it cut down on weight so they could ship more at a time in each ship and the costs would thus be reduced. I think this would make for a hot little brush fire if taken to too much of an extreme, but to each his own.

I think Steve may be referring to absolute moisture. From my understanding relative humidity is much more important then absolute moisture. As long as your sticks stay in the 60-70% range for extended periods of time they should be fine. However I agree strongly with Steve's remarks regarding to each his own. If you like your sticks more wet then dry fine! Who cares what others prefer? Not I ;) I suspect I like my sticks drier then most. But that's just me :p

Im constantly trying to adjust the relative humidity in my humidor. It seems its either to low 62 or to high 74. Alot is prob. my own fault as I cant seem to stay out of it very much . I know the cigars themself dont change as much as the air around them . My question is am I damageing my cigars trying to get the RH to where I want it. IE shrink expanding , how much is to much??? ???

Oh yes my humidor is alittle over half full.

Randyb1 said:
Im constantly trying to adjust the relative humidity in my humidor. It seems its either to low 62 or to high 74. Alot is prob. my own fault as I cant seem to stay out of it very much . I know the cigars themself dont change as much as the air around them . My question is am I damageing my cigars trying to get the RH to where I want it. IE shrink expanding , how much is to much??? ???

Oh yes my humidor is alittle over half full.
No offense but you should start a post with your own questions so that this thread doesn't go in different directions than the topic. :)

gibu:

from cigarnexus:

Totally DISREGARD any table or advice explaining that the ideal humidity for storing your cigars changes depending on the temperature. This is a myth that sadly has been published in some otherwise respectable publications. It is based on the principles of absolute moisture content and not relative humidity. 70% relative humidity is 70% relative humidity regardless of the temperature hence the term "relative."

Another excerpt:

Do not be anal retentive about the RH humidity. Any number between 64% and 72% is fine, truth is every cigar smokes different. Some will be best at 68%, while other less tightly rolled cigars will burn better at 72%. Some people like their cigars even drier and try to keep them closer to 60%. Ignore what everyone tells you about 70/70 and experiment with slightly drier and wetter humidities until you find what you like best. Personally, I prefer 65%-67% RH as the ideal relative humidity.

and another:

Cigars are hygroscopic in nature. In lay terms, this means that they will over time dry out when in a dry climate or absorb moisture in a humid one. And they will continue to do so until their own moisture content matches that of the ambient climate around them.

A damp cigar will not burn properly. Not only will it be difficult to keep lit, but also difficult to draw on. The smoke may become too dense leaving the smoker with a sour taste and a rank aroma. Also, over moist cigars will commonly split their wrappers.

A dry cigar will burn too hot. Without the proper level of moisture, the combustion temperature of your cigar will be too high and the smoke will be hot and acrid against your palate. The smoke may become overly aggressive and you will lose many of the subtle nuances of flavor that a properly humidified cigar would of given you. Also, dry cigars will lead eventually to the early evaporation of their essential oils and reduce their overall flavor and aroma.

Typically for the most enjoyable smoking, a cigar should contain approximately 12 -14% of its total weight in moisture. This corresponds to 60 - 70% relative humidity. Relative Humidity (RH) is a measurement of the amount of moisture in the atmosphere compared with that of complete saturation regardless of the temperature.

The primary criteria in the proper storage of cigars is to achieve a stable and ideal relative humidity within this 60% - 70% RH range. The secondary, but also important requirements are to store them at temperatures below 75 degrees Fahrenheit and in a darkened environment. Doing these three simple things will allow your cigars to not only be stored well, but also age well resulting in cigars that will draw easily, burn steadily, and share their optimum flavor and nuances with your palate.

The full article:

http://www.cigarnexus.com/counsel/cigarstorage/index.html

This needs to be pinned in this forum.

Good find Lumberg.

What he said. + Do what you want if it works for you.

:thumbs:

I always keep mine around 62-64%. They seem to clip and burn better for me.

Whatever makes your boat float...... :D

Lumberg said:
This needs to be pinned in this forum.
That's ridiculous...then we can't have this discussion every month. :lookup: