• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anejo variance

Gator

My 1st Anejo was a Shark, wasn't impressed at all. My 2nd was a 46, and i absolutely loved it, bought a box of 46's and 55's. Can't say i'm impressed w/ the 55, but only smoked 1 so far, and smoked my 2nd 46 the other night, loved it.

Why such a variance in the taste, i thought it was all the same bled of tobacco? Do ya'll experience the same? I guess it could be the age, i dunno.

I haven't experienced much of a variance like you say. I do have a favorite, but it isn't because of the taste profile, it's because of the length gauge preferrence.

I like all but the 77, and that is because I like the cedar smell on the anejois, and i feel it adds a level to the profile. My favorite is the 55 only because I like that size of cigar. I find all but the 77 tase very much the same.

:cool: Well it is all in your palette. I am a huge lover of the #55 but I am OK with the #46. The #46's that I have had are a lot more harsh and bitter. They are still good just not in my wheel house. This year I added some #50's and those are very tasty.
As far as variety, of course size matters to taste even when the blend is the same. If not why have so many? :whistling:
There are many smokes that I prefer the smaller gages like the Opus,R&J, CAO Brazil and most ISOM's. I love the large gages in VSG, Don Carlos, DC Maximus and LGC. These are just examples.
You also need to understand that even if the blends are the same the percentages of binder to filler will also differ from vitola to vitola.
These are just my opinions. I just hope they help. :thumbs:
Darren

To me, the Anejore :love: , Age makes all the difference in these cigars. I do not like fresh ones at all and every year you add to them adds more flavor dimensions and refinement. Right now I will not even bother smoking one that is fresher than the '05 batch. But I do love all the sizes.

Yeah, i might have been comparing different aged cigars, all i've got have been acquired in trades, and i haven't smoked any out of the 2 boxes i got a few weeks ago. How do you tell the age, i didn't see any dates on the box, but if i just got them i guess it's safe to assume they're from 06?

Yeah, i might have been comparing different aged cigars, all i've got have been acquired in trades, and i haven't smoked any out of the 2 boxes i got a few weeks ago. How do you tell the age, i didn't see any dates on the box, but if i just got them i guess it's safe to assume they're from 06?

From what I understand, you can not tell the vintage/ age by any markings on the box. You should assume that the cigars are from the latest batch unless the seller says otherwise.

I'm fondest of the #48's, and least fond of the 55's. Even though they use the same tobacco's to produce each cigar in the series, they use different ammounts of wrapper, binder, and filler for each vitola. I think that these differences account for the difference in flavour profile amongst the various sizes.

I bought some last november, and tried one, and thought "What's the big deal?", they weren't that good to me. When I went back to that shop in February, they still had some, so I bought a few more, and smoked one of my orignal batch. It was quite good, and it had that taste that promised much more with aging. So, it could very well be that you smoked a young one, or one in the 'sick' period.

Not only do anejos vary, so do perceptions.

Doc.

I dunno, have never smoked an Anejo. Send em to me and I will let you know what I think. :whistling:

The #1 factor is age. These sticks get much better with a year or two on them/

#2 is wrapper/filler ratio. A factor in any cigar line. Thinner ring gauges - more wrapper influence.

#3 all hand-made products vary. Cigars even more than most.