• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anejo's and Tar

BlindedByScience

Proud Father of a Kearney, NE LEO
Thanks to some ample storage, my Anejo stash has several years on it. My pelt cooled Staebell runs 65F / 63% steady as a rock.

I've been smoking some Anejo's lately, and to a man, they've all had tar problems...!! Crap...!! I'll smoke an inch or two, and chop 1/16" off the end to clear the goop and resurrect the draw.....smoke another inch or two, and chop another 1/16" off the end to clear the goop and resurrect the draw....and so it goes. One year old, five year old, they all seem to be in the same boat...!! Holy crap, you do NOT want to touch your tounge to that tar mess as it'll wreck your taste for quite a while.

Suggestions?

I also had some tar problem with Anejo. I don't know if there are any correlation, but it seems, at least for me, a larger cut area to draw helps to alleviate the problem.

Don't smoke Anejos.;) Are you punching them? Never fails to happen when I use a punch.

Doc.

Had that happen to an old Opus I smoked recently as well as most anejos. Cutting or punching hasn't seemed to change the results. That is some nasty stuff when you get it on your tongue!

Have you tried attaching a plastic filter? It helps keep the tar off your tongue.

I've noticed a significant amount of tar on 2007 +, while only occasionally on the 2006s I have.

I don't think it has anything to do with how you're storing them. ???

Not to take this thing too far off topic, but I've noticed a pretty steady decline in the quality of Fuente products over the past 3 or 4 years. In fact, I've noticed quality issues across the board in most Cubans and quite a few non-Cuban cigars (Padron being the only one that I can recall staying consistently good throughout the years).

Meh, maybe it's just me.

Well, I purchased all my Anjeos within the last year, and I don't recall the problem; but I maybe smoke one a month. One the other hand, yours have age. Maybe with mine they went into a cost cutting mode and reduced the tar input? :0

Smoked a 2002 Anejo 46 a week or two ago, lots of tar. I've noticed that a larger snip seems to help. I also have always wondered if weather conditions play a role in tar development, I've smoked the same cigar and one day no problems, other days lots of tar. It seemed like on days with a higher level of humidity, I had more tar problems. I don't know, just something I've noticed.

The only tar problems I have had are with fuente products. For me I noticed the smaller the cut the more tar build up I seem to have. Not near the frequency you seem to be have though Tom.

If you find a fix please do let us know.

I've been fortunate enough not have that problem with the Anejo's I've smoked, but I seem to remember someone starting a thread here a couple of years ago regarding the same problem with a Shark. It may have been another forum, but I can't remember. The OP of that thread had pictures of the cigar with a large amount of tar literally seeping out where the cigar had been clipped. It was rather disgusting, to say the least.

Don't smoke Anejos.;) Are you punching them? Never fails to happen when I use a punch.

Doc.
Doc, I use my Xikar and chop their butts off, generously. When I step out for an Anejo, I know I'll be "chopping the log" so I always use my cutter.....

I had 2 DC lanceros back to back that had tar oozing from them. Called Casa Fuente and they called me a liar lol!!! Never had any Fuente product that had tar issues before.

Smoked a 2002 Anejo 46 a week or two ago, lots of tar. I've noticed that a larger snip seems to help. I also have always wondered if weather conditions play a role in tar development, I've smoked the same cigar and one day no problems, other days lots of tar. It seemed like on days with a higher level of humidity, I had more tar problems. I don't know, just something I've noticed.
That's really interesting....now I wonder if the ambient temps make a difference? It's been cold around here; not like some of you guys have to deal with, but in the 40's to be sure.

This may be a long term research project.....it'll be interesing to see if I have the same issues when it warms up......or until I have my own cigar room, maybe, someday......:p

Sorry to hear that, Tom. I've had a few Anejo tar issues, but they've been few and far between.

I hope you get it figured out.

Have you tried attaching a plastic filter? It helps keep the tar off your tongue.
....figured I'd just start jacking them into the intake on the shop vac and power horking the exhaust....:p

Thanks for the helpful suggestions, Matt.......:laugh:

Anecdotal, but the only smoke I've had with tar issues with was a Montesino (made by Fuente). I was smoking it outside (40-50*) on Thanksgiving. Had too much nasty tar oozing from it to even try and re-cut. Odd because I've smoked those before (inside) and never had a tar issue.

Anecdotal, but the only smoke I've had with tar issues with was a Montesino (made by Fuente). I was smoking it outside (40-50*) on Thanksgiving. Had too much nasty tar oozing from it to even try and re-cut. Odd because I've smoked those before (inside) and never had a tar issue.
2nd interesting post, John. My engineer brain is beginning to wonder if ambient temps have a great deal to do with it.

Clearly, some field research is in order.

I think I'll solicit my neighbor and head to the local, heated, cigar lounge for a test smoke.......:thumbs:

Keep the comments and suggestions coming, guys......B.B.S.

Tom, I've been smoking the hell out of my Anejo stash and have not had any tar problems.

I've still got a few from 2005 that we did our first box split.

I punch everything that is not a torpedo. Smoked a few on the golf course in November with temps in the mid 40s and no problems.

Very interesting situation we have here.

Tom, I've been smoking the hell out of my Anejo stash and have not had any tar problems.

I've still got a few from 2005 that we did our first box split.

I punch everything that is not a torpedo. Smoked a few on the golf course in November with temps in the mid 40s and no problems.

Very interesting situation we have here.
Lou, my friend, when it comes to Anejos, I rely on your opinion as one of the experts......:thumbs: For the record, Lou and I did the first box split I ever did on CP over some Anejo 49's, almost five (six?) years ago.....:cool:

My neighbor and I are going to run to the cigar lounge in a bit. I happen to have a precious few of those 2005 49's left, so I'll take a couple and smoke them.....and let you and the forums know if the tar monster hits us. The whole ambient temperature thing has me very interested.

"Film at eleven..."...as they say....:p

Keep it coming, guys - B.B.S.

Doc.

I was going to say the same exact thing!

I started out using a punch 10 years ago. I got sick and tired of the nasty tar build up that is more common with punched cigars. I went and purchased a Xi2 and haven't had any tar problems since.