• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Another Slippery Slope...

engspot

Covered in Paint
I decided I would like to learn to brew my own beer and have been reading up on what to do. I went to the local shop and picked up a 5 gallon glass carboy equipment kit. It comes with a secondary, cleaning supplies and the bottling equipment. I also found a nice outdoor propane burner and a 9 gallon stainless steel pot. Once I get a wort chiller I should be all set.

They had an extract kit for a barrel aged stout, so I think I'll give it a whirl!
http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/1025%20Whisky%20Barrel%20Stout.pdf

With any luck I can get the first batch going and have it ready for St. Patrick's Day.

I've also seen a number of people grow their own hops, so I ordered a bunch of rhizomes to try and grow along my fence. I'm pretty excited about this new hobby and the chance to smoke a few cigars while boiling some water!

Sweet. Your first brews wnt be great like commercial brews, but it will be YOUR breww. Within no time you friends will be asking stealing your brew......lol

Good luck, and ask questions along the way. There are a few brew masters within our crowd, and other who do not mind at all helping you along the way.

its a great addicting hobby

I suggest you make your own immersion chiller to start out. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy 50' of copper tubing, 2 hose clamps, a female hose end and some tubing....put it all together and voila...It will suffice until you get real serious, in fact I use mine regularly today.

I was going to purchase a large plastic tub to load with ice-water and get a wort chiller with some Visa gift cards I have coming from mail-in rebates. I want something with a garden hose attachment since I plan on doing most of the cooking outside. I would go the copper tubing route, but I'm not the best at fabricating water-tight fittings...I know this from experience and don't want to have to manage leaks and drips.

I know there are some homebrewers in the crowd here and there will probably be some questions in the beginning. I'm also fortunate in that the analytical chemist at work is an avid brewer and the best brew supply shop is only about 10 minutes from my house.

I'm looking forward to enjoying what I can make. I told the wife I would try to make a wheat beer for her, so my first 2 batches are on the docket.