• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Another storage/freezing question

Jared Nomack

Vintage Human
Sorry, guys, I know this is old hat for most of you. But I would be grateful for a wee bit of your wisdom here.

I want to put a small humidor in my Office Office (not home). The building is not heated or cooled (much) on weekends, and the HVAC goes off at night at some point and on various holidays. I can control it in my suite when I'm there, but in fairness to the owner (a nice guy who likes dogs and cigars) I can't just leave the AC on all summer just to protect my cigars.

The space will get pretty toasty at times as the summer develops.

I've read that if you freeze your cigars (assuming a proper process for doing so), it's "not an issue". That the only concern re high temps is Them Beatle Thangs. Is that really true? I would be putting cigars in a seasoned wooden humidor with Bovedas, they could easily get up to 80F. I can put a TEC unit in there, instead, but that's a bit more expense and takes up more room.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I know, I've done The Google, but I trust you guys a lot more than anywhere else.

TIA,

mark

Ha, thanks Bill. I have one of those. I agree, it works great and the price is decent. I may just get another one for the Office Office.

So, do I take it your thinking is, the idea that "freeze them and there is no issue" is not really right?

Ha, thanks Bill. I have one of those. I agree, it works great and the price is decent. I may just get another one for the Office Office.

So, do I take it your thinking is, the idea that "freeze them and there is no issue" is not really right?
The problem will be beetles and mold... You can freeze then to kill live beetles, but that would not kill the larvae and eggs (unless you can get below zero with your freezer) but you will still have the mold issue.

Got it. Thanks, Bill, your help is much appreciated. I guess I'll be getting another Audew. Looks like they bigger one may be available again...

m

A wine-a-dor was going to be my suggestion, and Bill's link covers that. How much is that thing on the US site? It just shows as "sold out" for me.

A wine-a-dor was going to be my suggestion, and Bill's link covers that. How much is that thing on the US site? It just shows as "sold out" for me.
The one bill posted is $198 currently on Amazon. I have the larger model which is rated for 300 cigars which I think is a better deal at $269 and they currently have a coupon for $15 off

Audew Cigar Cooler Humidor Spanish Cedar Wood 300 Capacity https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VVN4VJ7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_C9EJV8MEDVAD253R1VPY

I got mine (the 150 model) with some kind of promotional coupon last year, for around $100 (shipped). Would buy another for that in a heartbeat. Audew used to have direct sales and coupons were easy to find, then these things became kinda scarce. I now have one of the 300's on pre-order. I'll probably take this one to the Office Office when the 300 arrives. (Note, the temp reading is off, it's about 67F in there right now (acc to two Govees, a Cigar Oasis and a cheapo), but it cools nicely.)

20210417_133253 (2).jpg

I got mine (the 150 model) with some kind of promotional coupon last year, for around $100 (shipped). Would buy another for that in a heartbeat. Audew used to have direct sales and coupons were easy to find, then these things became kinda scarce. I now have one of the 300's on pre-order. I'll probably take this one to the Office Office when the 300 arrives. (Note, the temp reading is off, it's about 67F in there right now (acc to two Govees, a Cigar Oasis and a cheapo), but it cools nicely.)

View attachment 41429
How many sticks does it actually hold?

The problem will be beetles and mold... You can freeze then to kill live beetles, but that would not kill the larvae and eggs (unless you can get below zero with your freezer) but you will still have the mold issue.
CigSid, I thought freezing also wipes out the larvae and eggs, that once frozen that particular frozen "batch" was forever good (unless invaded from outside sources.

Any info would be great as I recently had an issue and did the freeze thing.

CigSid, I thought freezing also wipes out the larvae and eggs, that once frozen that particular frozen "batch" was forever good (unless invaded from outside sources.

Any info would be great as I recently had an issue and did the freeze thing.
You are correct, providing you use a deep freezer, or one that can get below zero. After @ 3 days, the larvae will crack, and kill both eggs and adults.

Freezing will kill the beetles but not the eggs. I remember reading that you need an industrial freezer that can get temps way below zero in order for the eggs to crack. Also any extended period of time over 80F (say more than 8 hours) will get them to hatch. John