• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Another Vitasea cigar review

BrownDevil

BOTL
Got a Montecristo robusto EL 2004 from our buddy last week and decided to give it a shot tonight.

As per my sig line, I've been in search for the Monte Robusto EL 2001 (my favorite), but he told me he only had the EL 04s. I have searched a bit for these and thus far haven't found out if they even make one of these for 04. If anyone has any info either way I'd love to hear about it.

First, just like everyone else I was a little thrown by the packaging this arrived in, but in my case the stick made it to me unharmed, and just by it's appearance, the construction was great, triple cap was great, bands and size were right on. After some rest in the humi I fired it up. Pre-light aroma was right on, and the initial draw and burn were also top notch.

Flavor was pretty decent with a little spice, but definately not as great as the 01. If there is an actual 04 EL, and this was one of them, it was a little disappointing. I'm not in any way calling it a fake, but it isn't something I'd spend any money on. Towards the end of the smoke the burn went to hell and the flavor never changed from beginning to end. No complexity at all :(

Many thanks Vitasea for the sample! Should you ever come up on an 01 EL, I'd love to give you another try :thumbs:

Robert

they need to age a bit as they were boxed in o5,though i've found them enjoyable.your right the construction is flawless.
its amazing since i arrived on this board mar 6 05 i have generated 6 topics with a total of 233 replies and 5,687 views...............what did you guys do for fun before me????........lol :)

To my knowledge the Monte Robosto LE was produced only in '01. For them to have any other dated LE bands on them would most certainly mean to me that they are counterfeits. FYI, I have seen counterfeit Monte robo LE's over the past year or so that are easily discerned by the fact that they have the new Monte band designs. I have been assured by sources that should know that there are no genuine robo LE's extant and in circulation with the new style bands.

If these were boxed in '05, and taste young, that would further my suspicion about their legitimacy.

YelloCello said:
To my knowledge the Monte Robosto LE was produced only in '01. For them to have any other dated LE bands on them would most certainly mean to me that they are counterfeits. FYI, I have seen counterfeit Monte robo LE's over the past year or so that are easily discerned by the fact that they have the new Monte band designs. I have been assured by sources that should know that there are no genuine robo LE's extant and in circulation with the new style bands.

If these were boxed in '05, and taste young, that would further my suspicion about their legitimacy.
[snapback]173714[/snapback]​

i read on the internet somewhere recently that described them to a t. "available only in canada.this is a full flavored cigar with a dark reddish-brown wrapper grown specigically for this cigar" these were i sure made in 04 and boxed in 05.
most boxed 05 are not yet in the dealers hands. What i'm also sure of is no one in cuba would make 20 boxes especially for me of a cigar that does not exist?????

Hmmm...

Did find a passing referance to such an animal, a 4.75x52 "Robusto":

mon_rob.gif

Definitely beyond the scope of my knowledge. You have quotes around the descriptive phrase you included. Can you provide a reference or URL to the source?

YelloCello said:
Hmmm...

Did find a passing referance to such an animal, a 4.75x52 "Robusto":

mon_rob.gif

Definitely beyond the scope of my knowledge. You have quotes around the descriptive phrase you included. Can you provide a reference or URL to the source?
[snapback]173731[/snapback]​

They were produced in 2000 with the EL band.. The EL band in 2000 did NOT have any numbers on it as did the subsequent EL releases.

In 2001 the EL band did have Edicion Limitada 2001 written on it; the official Montecristo EL released in 01 was the Double Corona EL. However, there are some legitimate Montecristo EL's from 2001 that are floating around.

The only EL that was officially produced for both 2000 and 20001 was the Hoyo de Monterrey Particular. Though some samples of the Partags pyramide have the 2001 label on it, they fall into the same category as the Montecristo Robusto EL.

Nothing for 2002....

In 2003, the Montecristo C was released...

As for the Montecristo Robusto Edicion Limitada 2004... highly highly suspicious... I've got some fake Monte Robusto EL 2003's in glass tubo sitting on my desk... They are authentically fake!!

vitasea said:
What i'm also sure of is no one in cuba would make 20 boxes especially for me of a cigar that does not exist?????

For a price, they'll even rent out their grandmothers to you for an hour... Throw down the cash, and they'll make 50 boxes for you; any way you want it.

the 2000 Montie EL was the 'Robusto'. Size: 4 7/8in. x 50rg.

from the little I have heard of these, after 4 years they should be def. more than one-dimensional. Tho if it was indeed from '04, could see that observation as the reviews I have seen from those who smoked them right away had them as rather one-sided.

That said, don't know of them being re-rolled in '04.
[tho of course there are many with more on this than I, who would know for sure.]

morenoloco said:
vitasea said:
What i'm also sure of is no one in cuba would make 20 boxes especially for me of a cigar that does not exist?????

For a price, they'll even rent out their grandmothers to you for an hour... Throw down the cash, and they'll make 50 boxes for you; any way you want it.
[snapback]173860[/snapback]​

I do remember a certain German by the name of Christopher having a bunch of boxes of a discontinued cigar made for him .... something with 'gold' in it maybe?

;)

Doug, the problem with these two Canadian sites listings are twofold. #1, the cigars they list are NOT from 2004/2005. They show the original release Montecristo EL robusto. Made in 1999, boxed in 2000. #2, at least one of those sites you list is not an official Habanos SA dealer and if they aren't official, there's no way they are getting special edition cigars made for them "legally".

From what I can tell, there is no record of any being made in 2004 or at least they are not on the Habanos SA vendor order sheets, which are new each year. Even if they were specifically for the Canadian market, they would still be on the listing. Now, this is not to say that some weren't made officially for a collector or dealer. The problem with this though is that Habanos SA has a minimum number they will make in this case. So, if they indeed were making them, there should be someone out there in the collecting world that knows about them and I have yet to hear about it. Doesn't mean they aren't legit, just that as of yet, the news has not spread of them being in the market.

Matt, you amaze me with damn near every post.

Matt R said:
Doug, the problem with these two Canadian sites listings are twofold. #1, the cigars they list are NOT from 2004/2005. They show the original release Montecristo EL robusto. Made in 1999, boxed in 2000. #2, at least one of those sites you list is not an official Habanos SA dealer and if they aren't official, there's no way they are getting special edition cigars made for them "legally".

From what I can tell, there is no record of any being made in 2004 or at least they are not on the Habanos SA vendor order sheets, which are new each year. Even if they were specifically for the Canadian market, they would still be on the listing. Now, this is not to say that some weren't made officially for a collector or dealer. The problem with this though is that Habanos SA has a minimum number they will make in this case. So, if they indeed were making them, there should be someone out there in the collecting world that knows about them and I have yet to hear about it. Doesn't mean they aren't legit, just that as of yet, the news has not spread of them being in the market.
[snapback]173940[/snapback]​

i called both one was out and the other sent theirs to pittsburgh for distrubtion
a real mystery???? have you smoked the one i sent you??

Matt R said:

[snapback]173940[/snapback]​
Another point about Canada - it is illegal to sell Cuban Punch cigars in Canada. Find an authorized retailer and see if they carry Punch - they don't. My guess is the sites mentioned from Canada actually ship out of Florida and they get their cigars from people like Vit.

A Monte EL just for Canada and I, nor any of my associates have heard about it. And to top it off, some guy sailing in a little boat has some and is giving them away.

This gets better and better.

vitasea said:
i called both one was out and the other sent theirs to pittsburgh for distrubtion
So a Canadian retailer is sending embargoed products to the US for return shipping back to Canada.

This is no longer funny, its f'kin ridiculous.

jordon said:
vitasea said:
So a Canadian retailer is sending embargoed products to the US for return shipping back to Canada.

[snapback]173957[/snapback]​

no i'm sure to ship to their US customers
a lot canadian, and europe web sites set a distributer in the US to avoid custom problems.

jordon said:
vitasea said:

[snapback]173957[/snapback]​

Trust me, it happens.....

jordon said:
Another point about Canada - it is illegal to sell Cuban Punch cigars in Canada. Find an authorized retailer and see if they carry Punch - they don't.
[snapback]173951[/snapback]​

I know of a couple, but they are not brick and mortars, online only (e-mail). It may be that they are not getting them through regular distribution. The vitolas are very limited, though they seem to always have them on hand.