• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anti-Smoking Nazis at Work

Shadow

That's DON Shadow to you!
Went to my local shop this morning and I was informed by the owner that while I was out of town on vacation the Berkeley County Health Department, who had been working on indoor smoking regulations for the county, has decided to tightened up on the regs that they had proposed during the public hearing two months ago.The health department instead of allowing resturants to have a seperate smoking area, changed it to no smoking areas at all. This did not include bars that did not serve food.On top of that the department in the original regs had exempted tobacco shops. They have now included tobacco shops as having to be smoke free by September 15, 2001!The changes were made with no further public hearings and have been signed off by the county prosecutor. Fines start at &#36250 and go up to &#361000 for each violation. The county sanitarians from the health department will have the power to issue citations.My local owner is fighting the regs as best he can. He has started a petition drive and is going before the County Commission next week to plead his case. He contacted the RTDA but they were not much help.I don't know how this will end up, but I will keep you informed. Don't think this can't happen where you live. If it can happen in WV it can happen anywhere.

You've got to be kidding me! Hmmm... most visitors in a tobacco shop maybe, um, smoke? One good thing about living in the south where growing tobacco is a way of life, you don't have laws like that. We've got our share of smoke-free environemnts like malls and grocery stores but you still get asked "smoking or non" in restraunts. Not too many allow smoking cigars though unless at the bar.

Do you live in California or something? I thought we only had the nazi's here in California.I remember the good old days when the host/est would ask "Smoking or non?". I always took which ever was available first, but I would prefer non-smoking only because I didn't wish to smell cigarette smoke as I ate. But it should still be up to the restaurant. If you don't like the smell of smoke, don't go there. These anti-tobacco nazi's need to direct their attention to issues which need more attention, such as drug use, kids who "sniff" paints/glues/sprays, NOT adult's who have the right to smoke. Is it just me, or are there more anti-smoking campaigns against kids smoking than there are against kids drinking liqour/alcohol? Personally, I feel it's more important to campaign against minor's drinking. Heck, kids only effect their own body when smoking, but when they drink (and drive if old enough), they effect all the people around them as well. Seems to me the nazi's should concentrate on anti-drinking campaigns for mis-guided kids... But then I guess we would see bills trying to be passed such as "no drinking in public places as it will influence kids to drink and become alcholics". :)Rod

I could believe this happening in Maryland just across the Potomac River from where I live. That state goes out of its way to mimic California, but West Virginia? This has really bummed me out tonight. As long as I have been smoking I have never walked into a tobacco shop and not been able to smoke. :angry:

Oh my that is way to close to home, Ohio that is!!!!!!! :eek:
Ok boys every one pile into the pick-up were heading for the border, We gatta stop those nasty West Virinians
from crossing and corrupting our tabacco shops and weman!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

And I thought Hawaii was a very conservative state. Well, we are, but we still ain't that bad.

Saying you can't smoke in a tobacco shop is like saying you can't pee in a public restroom... Make sense? Didn't think so.

Man!! What the #### is happening to America??? If this keeps up Im gonna have to go find a free country!!

Sam, your suggestion has already been taken care of. Letter and e-mail has been sent to Mr. Shanken.

welcom to the peoples republic of america as soon as your finnished with your reeducation you will be a good obeidiant productive comrad hear is your shock coller and personal monitoring camera

Here's a link to the county policy if anyone is interested:http://www.bchealthdept.org/smoking.htmlThe more I think about this the madder I get. I'm writing a letter to the head of the health department now to voice my objection to this policy. I've had to stop and start over several times to clean up the letter so it doesn't sound like I'm a raving lunatic.I had no idea there were so many ways to call a person a pinhead!

Got stuck watching the movie Demolition Man (starred Rocky) a few nights ago and I remember the scene where it was explained what all was illegal in the year 2041 or something. Smoking, alcohol, red meat, caffeine, and spicy foods. If this is where we are headed then there is no use in living. :angry:

We should be ok here. All of the mine feilds and gun turrets have been set at the border and we are about to take away all sources of communication! :)
You'll never get my smokes copper! Ya never, thats the ticket! :cool:

In exchange for my singing barbershop with the guys, the Mrs. and I go out dancin' and shootin' pool once a week.  Our favorite honky-tonk had a headliner that we didn't want to see so we went down the road to another joint.   I was greeted at the register with a sign "No cigars".... Sheeez, you can smoke smelly cigarettes, dip snuff and spit on the carpeting but not smoke a fine hand rolled cigar.   We left and went to a sports bar.If even the bars and/or dance halls are getting into it, I'm staying home.(Edited by Horse at 5:21 pm on Aug. 31, 2001)

Hey Bill, we need to get this taken care of soon, I will be in town the 2nd week of November and you know I cant be in Eddie's shop without smoking one. Have they actually been enforcing it? I really can't see them haveing the manpower to make it stick.

Sam, the same thing happened near shadow a couple of years ago but the employee didn't have a gun, he just took the one that the crook had out of their hands and held them for the cops. They fired him for not following company policy not to resist. This is a crock of ****, I would have kicked his ass too, besides takeing the gun away. JMNSHO

Yeah Yogi, he's suing the company for the firing and it looks like he is going to win.Update:The owner of the local shop met with the county commissioners concerning the change in the policy. The commissioners agree that there should be an exemption for tobacco shops in the policy and has asked the health dept. to consider the change. Meanwhile one of the health dept. employees who is one of the persons responsible for the policy shows up at the shop for an "health inspection". This guy has been in business for over nine years and never has anyone from the health dept. stepped through his door until he asks for an exemption. Hmmmmm, seems to me like a little harassment going on.