• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any Climbers?

Jamie76

Hi everyone...

Just wondering if there are any climbers out there. I plan on completing my first climb in 2012 on Lobuche Peak in Nepal. From what I understand, it's technically straightforward. Since this is my first climb I'll be doing a lot of training prior to and during the climb. At just over 20,000 ft. it seems rather daunting at this point.

Hi everyone...

Just wondering if there are any climbers out there. I plan on completing my first climb in 2012 on Lobuche Peak in Nepal. From what I understand, it's technically straightforward. Since this is my first climb I'll be doing a lot of training prior to and during the climb. At just over 20,000 ft. it seems rather daunting at this point.

I don't personally climb, but my brother is an avid climber. I'm happy to look at all his pictures while listening to his stories :cool:

I love the movies.

Can you recall the first scene of Vertical Limit?
Touching the Void

I climbed in a gym a few times -- but technical ropes --no

I also love daydreaming of epic adventure. But hiking to basecamp would be enough.

At least till I got there.

I was never a "climber" per se as in travelling the globe in search of peaks to summit, but I served for a few years with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department on one of their Mountain Search and Rescue teams. We did a lot of technical rescues in the San Gabriel and Sierra Nevada mountain ranges. Basicaly going in when the climbers got in trouble and bringing them out, hopefully alive.

Good luck on your first attempt!!

Just keep in mind; no matter how hard you think you need to train, it won't be enough. ;)

I was never a "climber" per se as in travelling the globe in search of peaks to summit, but I served for a few years with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department on one of their Mountain Search and Rescue teams. We did a lot of technical rescues in the San Gabriel and Sierra Nevada mountain ranges. Basicaly going in when the climbers got in trouble and bringing them out, hopefully alive.

Good luck on your first attempt!!

Just keep in mind; no matter how hard you think you need to train, it won't be enough. ;)

Yes, especially with altitude. Even with all the training, some people's bodies just won't adapt to the altitude regardless of acclimatizing. That is my main worry. People have been known to get acute mountain sickness at Everest base camp which is at around 17,500 feet.

The highest I've been is 14,200' but the paved highway took me all the way to 14,000' !! :D

Good luck on your climb!