• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any Difference to you guys? Tubos or Box

I usually get the Tubos just because I prefer them. But I enjoy both and don't see a difference in quality. But considering the Tubos may be pricier you could save some tubes are reuse them if they're in good enough condition. The Tubos are great for gifts, as mentioned above, and for simply protecting and preserving the cigar.

Sorry to bump and old thread (wasn't sure if I should bump this one or start a different one)...

I was just wondering about the difference between tubo and non-tubo as far as shipping is concerned. Does the tubo add a significant amount of increased protection to make them worth the extra money? (My question is with reference to Mag46 if that makes a difference.)

Depending on the actual cost difference, I think it could be worth it. Each cigar sealed, so the humidity swings may not be as bad during shipping. And if they take longer than normal to reach you for whatever reason, they would be better protected. The tube also means better protection for the cigar itself depending on how you store them once you get them (ie: out of the box in a singles drawer).

Another factor is the convenience. I like to have a few tubos on and in case I'm running out somewhere I may be able to have a smoke. It's a lot easier to throw a tubo in my shirt pocket in case I get the chance as opposed to bringing my traveldor.

Depending on the actual cost difference, I think it could be worth it. Each cigar sealed, so the humidity swings may not be as bad during shipping. And if they take longer than normal to reach you for whatever reason, they would be better protected. The tube also means better protection for the cigar itself depending on how you store them once you get them (ie: out of the box in a singles drawer).

Another factor is the convenience. I like to have a few tubos on and in case I'm running out somewhere I may be able to have a smoke. It's a lot easier to throw a tubo in my shirt pocket in case I get the chance as opposed to bringing my traveldor.

100% And I have a few tubos I use to take a cigar with me, when I'm going out for a walk, in case I feel like lighting up. If I decide not to smoke I just take it back out no worse for the wear and put it back in my humidor.

Thanks guys. The price difference is about 15% and the only real concern I have is with the initial shipping - once they are delivered storage really isn't an issue. Tubes might be nice for carrying them around but that's not much of an issue. Also these smokes won't be called upon until February/ March of next year.

If it's a cigar I really like, I buy them both ways...but hang onto the tube to reload it when I travel out for the day. I have a wedding this weekend and I'll load a few Partagas Series P #2s to go. When not in use, I store the empty tubes...slightly opened, in my humidor to keep the cedar correctly humidified.

You convinced me. Plus if I am going to be giving out any cigars, it's going to be these so I decided to go for it and see for my self.

I have noticed slight differences between the tubos and boxed. The tubos variety usually has a more bitter/spice flavor? I don't know, I just notice a difference. So I prefer the box.

With Cubans they don't seem to make much difference. I've had some special Dominican tubos, though. (i.e Davidoff, Cuesta Rey, and Montecristo)

I've been always under the impression, short term, there's not much difference in keeping them in either format. However, over the long term, possibly beyond five years, as long as the tube is kept closed, the Cigar matures much more... erm... rounded. "Wine in a bottle effect" perhaps...

Min Ron Nee used almost the exact words in his Encyclopedia. He also stated something to the fact that cigars aged in tubes taste better than non tubed cigars at the at the ages of 30-40years. The slower you age a cigar the better it will taste. Tubes, cello will slow down the aging process, while a naked cigar will age much faster.

I don't have and prob will never have 1st hand knowledge, so I'll take his word on it. :)

Tubos all the way. I have an assortment of Siglo I's and Partagas SERIE D No.4 tubos - I like having them.

Plus, they are pretty

3f014795.jpg

Personally I like both. I have more experience with Upmann tubos. Like others said I did have some mold problems but essentially it's the same stick. When I am buying for myself I go with the box and I will grab a few packs of tubos for gifts and like others said sometimes its nice to just grab a tubo and throw it in your pocket and not worry about damage. When I am gifted tubos I will usually take them out and put them in the humi and save the tubo just in case

Tubos all the way. I have an assortment of Siglo I's and Partagas SERIE D No.4 tubos - I like having them.

Plus, they are pretty

3f014795.jpg

But I must say that I do like the PSD4 tubos better than the box

I have 2 boxes of H. Upmann Monarchs from the late '90's. 1 w tubes and 1 w/out. I do not find one really better than the other but I can definetly tell a difference between them.