• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any Ghost Recon fans here?

Swissy

Livin' the retired life!
Anyone here a Ghost Recon fan? If you have to ask what it is, then you're not! :laugh:

While to console version has been out for a bit, the PC version started shipping today! Been playing the demo over and over for the last week and OH..MY..GOD...! I cannot wait for my copy to get here. And the PC version is entirely different from the console.

They seemed to have stayed fairly true to 'the Ghosts' but the game is much more immersive, detailed and a TON more eye-candy. Not to mention the AI is pretty decent, at least on the bad guys.

Finally, after many years of residing on my system, I can retire the original GR. It is the ONE game that has stayed on ever since I bought it.

Yes... I'm a gamer... Yes, I waste countless hours on the computer...

used to be, played the first and second release when they came out. been a Battlefield2 whore lately.

BF2 is good, but I just like the mission play... taking a base over and over... and over again gets old to me. I like to have a defined objective and move on. That and I no longer buy any game that does not support co-op online play! I don't do the deathmatch thingy anymore, and even tho there are co-op mods for BF2 I'm tired of developers not supporting the entire group of interested gamers- especially when the original BF had GREAT co-op support.

You should give GRAW a look... demo weighs in at 551mb, and it is full featured, but only a portion of a mission. I am 2000% glad I pre-ordered this one.

on that review, i will demo it. you may see me in the ranks, we shall see. the base thing does get a little old, i agree. but the ranking stuff is cool (gunny sgt now) and i am a helo junky. always wanted to be a pilot, so that is prolly why it apeals so much. i will give GR a shot though. the first 2 were pretty amazing as far as immersion and realism.

Ah, the choppers. My nephew is VERY good at piloting them. We'd go up together, he'd pilot and I'd gun with the minigun in the door. We'd take out WAY more guys that would get us. He's a whiz in a chopper, but we settled on the big one as I sucked at the gunner slot in the attack chopper! The minigun was pretty hard to miss with! :laugh: I even have a few MiG's to my name...

In GR:AW, I'm starting to notice the 'little' things that are really getting me excited for the main game. Like being able to do feet first or head first slides for cover after running. Just don't hit your head too hard! I did it and it hurt my guy a little. And, sneaking across a courtyard, from cover to cover, all the while (unbeknownst to me) I was being tracked by a guy on a heavy machine gun emplacement I had missed seeing. But he never fired- until he had a very good, clear shot at me in the open. Ouch... And the enemy AI zigs and zags, and reverses direction, all the while seeking cover. Being able to hold a zoom, keep leaning while moving, realsitic grenade blasts, and more.

As far as immersion... if you thought GR 1 and 2 were pretty good... you'll LOVE #3!

Ahh yes... I see a few more sleepless nights of gaming coming soon!

EDIT to add immersion comments

the wife is gonna hate this....
thank goodness for america's next top model and american idol...i play games while she watches, so i get 4 hrs a week in of gaming.
the minigun is pretty hard to miss anything, that rate of fire and spray make all the diff. i love flying the F/A 18 and the A/H-1 Marine Super Cobra

Got GRAW on 360 the week it came out, and i can't get over how amazing it is. Probably in my top three 360 games I have, being just under Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Fight Night Round 3 (or maybe PGR 3).

Ah, the choppers. My nephew is VERY good at piloting them. We'd go up together, he'd pilot and I'd gun with the minigun in the door. We'd take out WAY more guys that would get us. He's a whiz in a chopper, but we settled on the big one as I sucked at the gunner slot in the attack chopper! The minigun was pretty hard to miss with! :laugh: I even have a few MiG's to my name...

In GR:AW, I'm starting to notice the 'little' things that are really getting me excited for the main game. Like being able to do feet first or head first slides for cover after running. Just don't hit your head too hard! I did it and it hurt my guy a little. And, sneaking across a courtyard, from cover to cover, all the while (unbeknownst to me) I was being tracked by a guy on a heavy machine gun emplacement I had missed seeing. But he never fired- until he had a very good, clear shot at me in the open. Ouch... And the enemy AI zigs and zags, and reverses direction, all the while seeking cover. Being able to hold a zoom, keep leaning while moving, realsitic grenade blasts, and more.

As far as immersion... if you thought GR 1 and 2 were pretty good... you'll LOVE #3!

Ahh yes... I see a few more sleepless nights of gaming coming soon!

EDIT to add immersion comments

My #4 son and I did the same gig. I'm the pilot, he the gunner. we also like to fly fixed wing, me pilot, he the aweps. I'm going to have to get GR, I suppose. Another frigging game that will tell me my video card sucks.

Anyone here a Ghost Recon fan? If you have to ask what it is, then you're not! :laugh:

While to console version has been out for a bit, the PC version started shipping today! Been playing the demo over and over for the last week and OH..MY..GOD...! I cannot wait for my copy to get here. And the PC version is entirely different from the console.

They seemed to have stayed fairly true to 'the Ghosts' but the game is much more immersive, detailed and a TON more eye-candy. Not to mention the AI is pretty decent, at least on the bad guys.

Finally, after many years of residing on my system, I can retire the original GR. It is the ONE game that has stayed on ever since I bought it.

Yes... I'm a gamer... Yes, I waste countless hours on the computer...
I am WOW fan. The play experience is great. If you like a cheep good quality game try America's Army. It is totallly free and is actually produced and maintained by the United States Government.

jim, just played the demo...i am impressed. gonna have to grab it when it goes gold. looking foward to some squad combat. thanks for the heads up, game rocks!

Rob,
go to UBIsoft.com - you can order the game with free 2nd day FedEx shipping. Supposedly it's gone gold already- ship date was to be May 2rd!!

We'll have to start up a CigarPass squad night! :laugh:

Rob,
go to UBIsoft.com - you can order the game with free 2nd day FedEx shipping. Supposedly it's gone gold already- ship date was to be May 2rd!!

We'll have to start up a CigarPass squad night! :laugh:
ya, i'm in for that...clan name <CP> or <BOTL>

hmmm... it has potential!!!

on another note- my copy of GR:AW shipped!! I'll be up LATE this weekend - WooHoo!! Good lord... between this and SWAT4, my wife'll be in high whine :laugh:

I plan on getting it but Oblivion and an older game Fallout Tactics are taking all my gaming time up ATM.

hey Guys,
you may or may not like GR:AW... there are some issues. Nothing disastrous, but pretty limiting at times. mainly in Co-Op play the guy hosting the game is the team leader... if he dies the mission is OVER. PERIOD. That sucks... there are some other things, but that's the biggee.

now... on to the fun stuff! I have been playing it, and here's a video I made of a fast mission. Didn't try too hard to get too far- a friend wanted to see it in action before he buys. The video is compressed down a little, but still shows the game somewhat. It's about 106mb so be warned! but cool enough- sounds, explosions, and the lame-a***d team AI... :angry2: my biggest gripe! they walk right into a firefight... no crouching, no cover- just John Wayne'ing it!
Swissy Takes One For The Team

sorry for the Windows WMV file, but the raw video was AVI and 3.5gb... all I have for video is M$'s MovieMaker and it only saves in WMV (go figure) - plus this is half my screen resolution...

next I'll make a movie for Swat4, probably the best team co-op game out right now.