• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any Irish lovers out there?

loaded up on the Irish thanks to AVB's reference to Royalmilewhiskies.com. 2 bottles of Green Spot, i Kilbeggan, 1 Millars Special Reserve. Hope it doesn't take too long!!

Added Jameson 1708 12yo, Knob Creek, and Diplamatico Rum to the collection today, looking hard for Sazarac

Only Irish beer. Murphy's Irish Stout or bust!

Not very versed in either Scotch or Irish, but know that I really only care to mess with single malt in either category.

As far as Irish whiskey, I've tried a couple. The only one I remember was Knappogue Castle. Long time ago, but I remember smoothness. Perhaps one dimensional for a Scotch lover, but worth a try if you can find it in a bar and not have to shell out $$$$ for a whole bottle.

Knappogue Castle (1994) is by far my favorite single malt. Its quite smooth and easy to sip. I found its better neat than with ice. There is an internet store that has it on sale for little over $20 a bottle. Liquor Spirits

If you are lucky enough to find a bottle of Knappogue 1951 and have ~$800 to blow, then go for it!

"The Knappogue Castle 1951 is the oldest and rarest Irish whiskey available in the world. It is a traditional Irish whiskey made from malted and unmalted barley.
This whiskey was triple distilled in 1951 in copper pot stills and carefully aged for 36 years in sherry casks. At the peak of its maturation, it was bottled in 1987 under the Knappogue Castle label."

Clicky Here

Ok I just picked up a bottle of the Black Bush and I have the Tamdhu on order as we speak. Now onto the more pressing question....

How should one drink it?

Straight, on ice, mixed?

Should I store it in a cabinet or in the freezer?

I know sad questions but I am new to this and my only experience with the hard stuff was with mixed drinks at bars.

Thanks,

Brad

I can't speak with any authority about the correct way to drink Irish but there isn't a real wrong way to drink scotch except mixing it with coke.

Neat, over ice or with a bit of distilled water are all perfectly acceptable for scotch.

Too drink any Irish Whiskey, you just pour it in a glass. No ice. No water. Absolutely nothing. Just sip it straight. Now if you are Irish, you just shoot it instead of sipping. :laugh:

But you can drink it any way you want that pleases your senses since each way changes the said liquor in question.

Maybe you guys can clear up an Irish question for me. I was told growing up that Jamesons was the Catholic whiskey and Bushmills was the Protestant whiskey. Is there any truth to that? I know they are made different places and that could be what people meant.

On a side note, I've always wanted to try the Jamesons 1780, but have never picked up a bottle. I assume the difference between it and plain old Jamesons is distinct enough to warrent the extra $$$.

Big fan of Red Breast, tried a bunch of others but none come close IMO. I have been wanting to try Green Spot for ages, I am on that order AVB! :)

Also just tried Knockeen Hills Poteeen, gonna order some Bunratty's soon.

On a side note, I've always wanted to try the Jamesons 1780, but have never picked up a bottle. I assume the difference between it and plain old Jamesons is distinct enough to warrent the extra $$$.

I think it is, but I like both. Its like scotch that it gets better with age.