• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any Love for the Ashton Aged Maduros?

redraider

Whoa Thats Cold
I absolutely love Anejos. Because of this I was wondering if the Ashton Aged Maduro could compare at all to the Anejo. I understand it is a different wrapper and filler, but I wonder if they are close. It looks like I am heading to the B&M tomorrow to find out my self!! Just wondering what you guys thought that have smoked both of them. I have been eyeballing the AAM Pyramid.

Thanks
DE

Both great cigars and both great recommendations, but they are in different ball parks. Ashton's Maduro is one of those Maduro wraps that is very smooth and easy going, which of course is nothing like the big bold flavors of the Anejo. Within Fuente blends you can really only compare Anejo to Opus I suppose, though everyone would have an opinion to that and a truly well deserved one as all our palates are different.

Yet, even with differing palates, the Ashton Classic Maduro and Anejo will not be close to the same smoke in any other way then they are both great cigars. The Ashton is a very over looked good cigar, much like it's cameroon wrapped brother the Heritage (a medium body creamy awesome cigar).

Enjoy.

Much care,

M

Can't add much more than the above. They are both great smokes in their own unique way. I like cigars to be on the mild side as I like them creamy. Ashton Aged Maduros are just that. Mild and great.

Ashton aged maduros are nice smokes. Haven't had one in quite some time.

Both great cigars and both great recommendations, but they are in different ball parks. Ashton's Maduro is one of those Maduro wraps that is very smooth and easy going, which of course is nothing like the big bold flavors of the Anejo. Within Fuente blends you can really only compare Anejo to Opus I suppose, though everyone would have an opinion to that and a truly well deserved one as all our palates are different.

Yet, even with differing palates, the Ashton Classic Maduro and Anejo will not be close to the same smoke in any other way then they are both great cigars. The Ashton is a very over looked good cigar, much like it's cameroon wrapped brother the Heritage (a medium body creamy awesome cigar).

Enjoy.

Much care,

M

Thanks Anthem...I am going to pick up one today and give it a shot. I like the idea of the AAM being a little milder. The Aged Maduro is sure alot easier to find than the Anejos...
Thanks
DE

You are most welcome. I find a very solid line in Ashton, and I hope you find your huckelberry somewhere there too. Also to note, La Flor Dominicana Ligero lines may be comparable to Anjeo in the full body spice and spice feild.

The Ashton's are a good smoke but nothing like the Anejo's. Plus the price point for the Ashton's are a little pricey for the smoke IMHO. If you havent had one I would suggest getting one!!!

Try the Ashton VSG. All Ashtons are fine
cigars, but the VSG is a cut above, IMHO.

Construction, burn, appearance and flavor
profile of all Ashton lines is excellent.

I had A VSG Tres Mystique last week, which
reminded just how good Ashtons are. But,
I'm a Fuente 'ho' anyway. Always have a
selection on hand.

Chemyst :cool:

Try the Ashton VSG. All Ashtons are fine
cigars, but the VSG is a cut above, IMHO.

Construction, burn, appearance and flavor
profile of all Ashton lines is excellent.

I had A VSG Tres Mystique last week, which
reminded just how good Ashtons are. But,
I'm a Fuente 'ho' anyway. Always have a
selection on hand.

You inspired me..I am smoking a brisket today and was looking for a smoke to have with a cold beer as I sat outside and watched the fire. I forgot I had one VSG that I have had for a few months. I am midway through it right now, it is FANTASTIC! I might have just found a new favorite. I travel alot and stop in cigar shops all the time. I always buy a handful of singles. Everytime I go into the humidor it is a crapshoot to what I find. I also found 2 Padron 40th Maduros I forgot I had :laugh: Those will definitely be smoked this week. I am sure that I am not the only one that finds suprises in their humidor now and again!! :D

At this point, there isn't a lot to add, other than that I've never smoked an Ashton that wasn't pretty damn good. The VSGs especially are excellent, and I'm pretty sure that every cigar I've smoked from this line (and that's more than a few) I have taken down to the nub. They are incredibly consistent and every one stays great until I can't hold onto it. Other than VSG, the other Ashtons (Classic, Heritage, and AAM) are all what I would call mild or mild-medium cigars, all are very tasty, and all are somewhat pricey but worth it for when you're in the mood.

I'm in the same boat as Marco on this one. I haven't had a Ashton maduro in a very long time. They was always a great smoke for their price. The only issue I ever had with them was the burn. I had to do a lot of touch ups but that never distracted me from enjoying them. And like it was said...you can't compare the Ashton maduro to the Anejo. I haven't really found a cigar that I can compare to an Anejo. Except maybe it you took a Hemingway Maduro and crossed it with some of the Opus X blend. Thats my opinion on that comparison.

But there is plenty of other great smokes that get over looked a lot. Now if you want a cigar that takes on say some Opus qualities. Get some LFD's like the DL Chisel and age it for a year or so. They mellow out and you can pick up on some raspberry characteristics off that cigar with a few years on it. I was pretty shocked to find that out when I aged some and let my best friend smoke one and I smoked the other. I let others try it so they could see for themselves what time does for that cigar. :thumbs:

If you want a cigar just like an Anejo, I would suggest you keep a watch before Christmas this year. I found more than usual available this past year and still have 2 boxes unopened and aging. It may be the bad economy but there appeared to be a lot more out there. Good luck, they can't be beat IMHO.

If you want a cigar just like an Anejo, I would suggest you keep a watch before Christmas this year. I found more than usual available this past year and still have 2 boxes unopened and aging. It may be the bad economy but there appeared to be a lot more out there. Good luck, they can't be beat IMHO.

I noticed the same thing. Same for OpusX, as well.
IMHO, it's the economy.

I'm in the same boat as Marco on this one. I haven't had a Ashton maduro in a very long time. They was always a great smoke for their price. The only issue I ever had with them was the burn. I had to do a lot of touch ups but that never distracted me from enjoying them. And like it was said...you can't compare the Ashton maduro to the Anejo. I haven't really found a cigar that I can compare to an Anejo. Except maybe it you took a Hemingway Maduro and crossed it with some of the Opus X blend. Thats my opinion on that comparison.

But there is plenty of other great smokes that get over looked a lot. Now if you want a cigar that takes on say some Opus qualities. Get some LFD's like the DL Chisel and age it for a year or so. They mellow out and you can pick up on some raspberry characteristics off that cigar with a few years on it. I was pretty shocked to find that out when I aged some and let my best friend smoke one and I smoked the other. I let others try it so they could see for themselves what time does for that cigar. :thumbs:

Loren, I really couldn't agree more. As far as Anejos go, with some age I find that they have the thickness and subtle mellowness of the Hemingway maddies but still retain the spice often exhibited in an Opus.

As far as Opus qualities in an LFD, I personally find the Coronados to be the most resembling. A nice "flowery" type taste that still packs a punch with quite a bit of pepper and spice. Though we all know, it's still not an Opus.

:thumbs:

Finally got a chance to smoke an Ashton Aged Maduro..Damn good cigar. Very different from an Anejo. You guys where exactly right.

I really liked it. I am not sure if I liked it better than the VSG but still great. I just picked up a couple of Maduro Untold Stories...They are next in line on my maduro binge, just need to find enough time to smoke the big bastards.

DE

Finally got a chance to smoke an Ashton Aged Maduro..Damn good cigar. Very different from an Anejo. You guys where exactly right.

I really liked it. I am not sure if I liked it better than the VSG but still great. I just picked up a couple of Maduro Untold Stories...They are next in line on my maduro binge, just need to find enough time to smoke the big bastards.

DE

Dain, if you think the Untold Stories are a treat, try aging some and seeing what they are like a few years down the road.....my, oh my do they mellow out and get even tastier. Best Hemingway Maduro I ever smoked was a WOAM from 2003 that had bright golden-yellow cellophane:love:. The trick is staying disciplined when they start getting a little older. :whistling:

As far as the VSG goes, if you like lighter smokes, try the Ashton Majesty, it's got the typical white Ashton Classic band on it, but is a different blend, having the VSG filler and binder with the traditional Ashton Classic Connecticut wrapper. At first sight, it looks like it's just another Vitola, but it's been confirmed multiple times, and even from our Ashton rep. Jared (and other Ashton reps.) that it's a completely different beast. :thumbs:

Hey gents, do not forget that Fuente release their good stuff around Father's day too, not just X-Mas.

While I have never had a Ashton Aged Maduro I bet they are great. I have not had an Ashton cigar I did not like rp

Ashton Heritage and Maduro - are bit expensive. You can do better and cheaper.

In the end you are paying for the name.