• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any refrigerator repair guys out there?

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
I am having an issue at my cabin and I "think" I know what's happening but I need an expert to tell me for sure.

This has been a cold winter and I have used my cabin a good bit. When I get there it is somewhere between 20 and 30 degrees in the cabin and everything in my freezer is thawed. The refrigerator works like a champ in the summer and once I have heated the cabin.

I'm assuming that the defrost timer is coming on and then the defrost thermostat is looking for a temperature above 32 in order to shut off and since it is below that temperature in the cabin, the defrost cycle never shuts off.

Keep in mind......It's an older fridge, and it's in a hunting camp.....but it works perfectly except when the cabin is really cold.

1. Can I rig a way to disable the defrost thermostat in the winter, and enable it the rest of the year?
2. If I took the defrost timer out completelywould it still work.....just never call for defrosting?

It's great to have a resource for damn near anything! :thumbs:

You're killin' me.
laugh.gif
You got more problems with your camp than anyone I know. It's a fuggin' camp. Why are you runnin' your fridge when you aren't there. Unplup the fuggin' thing. Only run it when you're there.

Doc.

You're killin' me. You got more problems with your camp than anyone I know. It's a fuggin' camp. Why are you runnin' your fridge when you aren't there. Unplup the fuggin' thing. Only run it when you're there.

Doc.

You must not know anyone with a huntin camp. There is always problems with huntin camps.

I go down at least 4 to 6 times during the winter and there is not a chance in hell I would empty and refill the fridge every time.

I have this problem often in my garage. Most, if not all, refrigerators w/freezers, freeze in the freezer and let the air travel down to the refrigerator compartment. The thermostat for the fridge is often in the frige.
Therefore, if your fridge is constantly below 32 the fridge doesn't not see a need to cool. This means no freezing air in the freezer department and things tend to thaw.

You may need to move items into a dorm style freezer and run it during the winter. It shouldn't be much more drain on your electric bill because your fridge is dormant most likely anyways. Might have little to do with the defroster. I am not an expert but this is what my Refrigerator repairman (step father) tells me.

Hope this is of some help.

OK, fuggin' know-it-all flatlander.
rolleyes.gif

Doc.

Hey now. In these parts (the mountanous terrain of Wisconsin) we reserve flatlander insults for those from Illinois.

Hey now. In these parts (the mountanous terrain of Wisconsin) we reserve flatlander insults for those from Illinois.

One of my buddies from home (Pa.) calls me an Ohision.....pronounced Oh-hee-zhuhn

rolleyes.gif

Doc.

Have you been talking to John? :D

Wisco's right Jeff. I have the same problem in my garage during the coldest months of winter. I only keep bread in there during those months and meat, ice cream, etc. in the deep freezer. The temp sensor that kicks in the compressor, and keeps the freezer at the right temp gets fooled by the outside ambient temp, so everything thaws.

Find the temp sensor and rig a light bulb up next to it just to give Doc something else to bust your balls about.

You're killin' me.
laugh.gif
You got more problems with your camp than anyone I know. It's a fuggin' camp. Why are you runnin' your fridge when you aren't there. Unplup the fuggin' thing. Only run it when you're there.

Doc.

Heck, if he's there in the winter...just turn off the fridge and put the chit outside!

:sign:

rolleyes.gif

Doc.

Have you been talking to John? :D

Wisco's right Jeff. I have the same problem in my garage during the coldest months of winter. I only keep bread in there during those months and meat, ice cream, etc. in the deep freezer. The temp sensor that kicks in the compressor, and keeps the freezer at the right temp gets fooled by the outside ambient temp, so everything thaws.

Find the temp sensor and rig a light bulb up next to it just to give Doc something else to bust your balls about.

You're killin' me.
laugh.gif

Doc.

Heck, if he's there in the winter...just turn off the fridge and put the chit outside!

:sign:
John:

I'm pretty convinced that this explanation (Every six hours or so, the timer turns on the heating coil. The heating coil is wrapped among the freezer coils. The heater melts the ice off the coils. When all of the ice is gone, the temperature sensor senses the temperature rising above 32 degrees F (0 degrees C) and turns off the heater. ) found HERE is what's going on. What I need is someone to tell me how to disable the defrost timer during the extreme cold months so it won't happen.

Gary, what the coyotes don't eat the hillbilly neighbors will drink!

Just cut the red wire....make SURE you don't touch the blue one though.

Just cut the red wire....make SURE you don't touch the blue one though.

Bro! This could be the opportunity we've been lookin for! Grab your wire cutters and get your butt up here! :D