• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any Soccer Fans?

jaradthescot

From here on out to be referred to only as football. If so, what teams? What are your favourite players, past or present. Do you still play? I did a search and couldn't find anything football related so figured I'd give it a go and see if there are other fans.

Do you know why so many American kids play scoccer?

So they don't have to watch it.
I do root for the Azzurri during the World Cup since the US gererally sucks.

Doc.

I grew up playing, which was unusual in Minnesota in the early '70s, and was fortunate to watch the NASL during it's heyday with the Minnesota Kicks taking on the New York Cosmos with Pele, Chinaglia, Beckenbauer, etc. At that age any reason to tailgate was a good reason to go, and we watched a lot of good soccer, too.

(Check avatar)

Sounders FC 09 FTW!!!!!

PL team is Chelsea, and I watch most national TV MLS games.

I'm 5'7 350 right now, and starting a huge diet this week so I can get back down to playing weight.....

I follow the Premier League quite a bit. Favorite teams are Southampton, Newcastle, and ManU in that order. Since there hasn't been much to be happy about with either Southampton or Newcastle, I've been following ManU quite a bit over the last couple of years.

Quite pleased with the response so far, I feared I was the only one. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool huge Celtic fan. I don't really follow the PL (I prefer the Primera Liga if I'm not watching Scottish football), but I enjoy watching Arsenal when they're on their game (but who doesn't?). Don't forget the best players in the NASL, George Best and of course the great one, Jinky Jimmy Johnstone himself!

Gregor, the Vitale Mob, what position do you play (when you play)?

Quite pleased with the response so far, I feared I was the only one. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool huge Celtic fan. I don't really follow the PL (I prefer the Primera Liga if I'm not watching Scottish football), but I enjoy watching Arsenal when they're on their game (but who doesn't?). Don't forget the best players in the NASL, George Best and of course the great one, Jinky Jimmy Johnstone himself!

Arsenal is bullocks!

I will let you have Celtic. I follow the EPL. So the only Scottish football I get to see is in the European Cup (well not really / only '92 and '96) or World Cup (couple of times in the 80's and 90's). :whistling:

I follow LFC in the EPL.

England is where my heart is in the World venue.

When we had a full side, I played Center Mid, had to be in the action. We were lucky to have 11 on game day though, and we still played better than .500 against much larger towns/squads.

I went to a private school in the early 60's and the Athletic Director was a German. We started playing football in '62 and I remember being on the bus for 1-2 hours going to another school that had a team we could play. I was pretty much out of the sport by '68 when we moved.

We had a family from South America move in to town and the dad started teaching us at the park across our street. The next year he started our city program. I think I was around 8 years old at the time.

Also a big fan of Fulham because of all the Americans they had on the team. Last year, in one game they started four Americans: Bocanegro, McBride, Dempsey, and Keller with Johnson on the bench. Unfortunately, McBride and Bocanegra have left the team during this off season.

OK, I'm in. When I get a chance, I prefer to watch an Arsenal match. I've even been known to watch a MLS game or two. But my love of the beautiful game has to be watching my daughter play. She plays Under 10 for one of only a handful of Girls Only clubs in the USA. In her short time in the sport, she has learned the ins and outs of the game, and now plays very very smart futbol. She attended a couple of camps this summer, including the University of Louisville last week, where she was awarded the Camper of the Week for her age bracket, by the Lady Cardinals.

I currently hit the pitch with her twice a week just before her practices, and work on skills that she found to be troublesome the previous week during the games. After practice, I work with a couple of girls in the area of Goalkeeping, the position that I played most from very young till the end of High School.

I have a 3v3 tourney coming up August 9th, and have played a little indoor recently.

I guess I like the game a bit. :whistling:

I typically play a striker role. I had the brains of a #10 implanted a while ago though, and can move around the center decently in a pinch. (Or could when I was at weight.... lol.)

I played for 10 years (generally defense and midfield) in several over 30 leagues, great game. Also coached my daughter's and son's teams a bit. I used to get to a few of the MLS games in Dallas when I lived in the area.

I generally don't watch much, except for World Cup.

Ken

In St. Louis, all kids used to grow up playing soccer, if you went to Catholic grade school. I played from Kindergarten through college. Now I coach my children's teams. While I am not really a soccer fan, I do enjoy watching games and when the World Cup is being played I certainly follow that. I like Bayern Munchen or Schalke. The Bavarians are friendly people and Schalke is near where I used to work and overall Schalke has been getting a bit better.

In St. Louis, all kids used to grow up playing soccer, if you went to Catholic grade school. I played from Kindergarten through college. Now I coach my children's teams. While I am not really a soccer fan, I do enjoy watching games and when the World Cup is being played I certainly follow that. I like Bayern Munchen or Schalke. The Bavarians are friendly people and Schalke is near where I used to work and overall Schalke has been getting a bit better.

I grew up playing in St. Louis in the Florissant area. Played for St. Angela Merici, a local catholic school, and then Florissant United, where we often played at Busch St. Louis Soccer Park. If you've ever had the opportunity to step on the pitch of Busch Park, you'll understand why St. Louis is a soccer town.

I remember watch Slobo and the Steamers indoor, and later the St. Louis Storm, whom I had a couple friends playing for.

I don't follow soccer.

But I do follow football :whistling:

Liverpool are also my team, though I live about 5 hours drive from them - which is an eternity for our small island.

Not sure why the chap above thinks it's boring to watch - baseball is an absolute incredible bore to me, I don't know how you guys put up with it - but each to their own!

Same with American football tbh, but I like basketball - both of which are rarely played over here too.

The good thing about football, unlike baseball and american football, is that they're international sports - we like a good kick about with other nations, even though we invented it, most of them kick our arses.

Huge world cup soccer fan and a Huge Chicago Fire Fan.
Also follow alot of the Mexican league futbol leagues.

Club America, San Luis, Cruz Azul, Morelia

I never played any at all...I lettered in (American) football, wrestling, and volleyball in high school and played a bit in college, but never played it.

I love world cup matches and watch premier league stuff on cable all the time.
I support

Chelsea in the premier league...

and Chivas in mexico...

I love to watch Arsenal when I can, but that is only becuase they have what could be considered a dream team on the field.