• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any thoughts on the Holy Lance maduro

Thanks guys. I have decided to hold off till there is more information available on them. :)

This is the exact reason why it is hard to find reviews. Everyone is afraid to buy something and smoke it. Its a cigar after all and you have nothing to show for it once its been put to flames. Other than a memory. And we smoke cigars all the time. Why don't you buy one and do a review for the community? I wouldn't be afraid to smoke and review it. :p

Thanks guys. I have decided to hold off till there is more information available on them. :)

This is the exact reason why it is hard to find reviews. Everyone is afraid to buy something and smoke it. Its a cigar after all and you have nothing to show for it once its been put to flames. Other than a memory. And we smoke cigars all the time. Why don't you buy one and do a review for the community? I wouldn't be afraid to smoke and review it. :p

I would love to but as I stated earlier it was 10 sticks for $90 or nothing. I don't want to drop that kind of cash on a stick I really know nothing about. :(

Ok, so I'm not accusing you of anything, just explaining how your actions are being interpreted by me and I'm sure others.

Two days on the board.
Asking for info on a cigar.
Not happy with the answers given.
complained about only being able to buy a lot at $X.
Made no comment about the offer to split that lot.
Claim to want details on construction and burn.
Claim to have had the same cigar with a different wrapper.

Have you had issues with cigars of the same make and model perform differently with a wrapper change?

What is it you're really asking? From my perspective, it would appear you might simply be asking for a cigar.

I understand appearances can be deceiving, just letting you know how its appearing.

Ok, so I'm not accusing you of anything, just explaining how your actions are being interpreted by me and I'm sure others.

Two days on the board.
Asking for info on a cigar.
Not happy with the answers given.
complained about only being able to buy a lot at $X.
Made no comment about the offer to split that lot.
Claim to want details on construction and burn.
Claim to have had the same cigar with a different wrapper.

Have you had issues with cigars of the same make and model perform differently with a wrapper change?

What is it you're really asking? From my perspective, it would appear you might simply be asking for a cigar.

I understand appearances can be deceiving, just letting you know how its appearing.

Yes I have had issues with cigars of the same make and different wrappers on more than 1 occasion. As for the split I am not willing to put out $45 on a stick that has no real feedback. I am in no way asking for a stick. If you looked you would see I don't have my address in my profile. Now we can just drop it. A HL maduro is not worth getting a headache over.

Yes I have had issues with cigars of the same make and different wrappers on more than 1 occasion. As for the split I am not willing to put out $45 on a stick that has no real feedback. I am in no way asking for a stick. If you looked you would see I don't have my address in my profile. Now we can just drop it. A HL maduro is not worth getting a headache over.

I'm having a hard time buying this. You said you have been enjoying ISOM for 5 years now and have been lurking CP for the last few months. Then you would know by now that we are going to ask questions when something like this happens. I get the fact you do not want to spend money on a cigar you know nothing about. Yet, what you stated in your Introduction post contradicts the statement of you not wanting to spend money on a cigar you know nothing about. As ISOM's are well known for their unreliable Quality Control. So as you will see, I just have a hard time believing this statement. Plus the added bonus that cigars are hand rolled generally and can have flaws in them. Whether known or not.

Secondly, you don't need your address in your profile to mooch. Example what me like the following:

I see this thread and look at your profile. Ok...no address. I may look at your Introduction thread for a name. Scored...I then do the following in a PM.

Hey RIck,

I have a Holy Lancero Maduro you can try so you don't need to spend $90 on unknowingly. Can I get your address please? I will get this out tomorrow.

Look forward to your response. etc, etc, etc.

But anyways...what I wonder about is who is willing to sell you the Holy Lancero Maduro as a all or nothing deal. I know any Cigar shop I've been in and a regular of, they would be willing to sell singles. So I don't see this as an option. Then that leads to either you know someone in person that is willing to sell them to you as a all or nothing deal or someone has posted this as a sale on a different cigar forum. Stuff isn't adding up in my mind. You join Oct 15th, 2010 and then start this thread on Oct 16th, 2010. Like mentioned before, your reactions to several posts does add more questions. I am curious as why this person that has 10 will only sell them as is or no deal. Many in the cigar world tend to buy 5'ers so that shouldn't be an issue. Can you explain more about why this is either you buy them all or you don't buy them at all?

Most place I have seen are selling them for a little over 9 dollars plus shipping. IMHO, you're getting a pretty good deal. Say you buy them and you try one and aren't to sure about them. So you let them sit for a while and try one in a couple months. If you still don't like them and you continue to be a contributing member in good standing at CP, I'm sure you would have no trouble selling them for what you paid for them.

Smoke what you like, like what you smoke. If you just aren't sure, don't spend the money on them. There is no harm in that.

Normally I'm as skeptical as anyone, and ready to throw the bullshit flag if needed. I honestly don't get the mooch vibe that you guys are getting. In all honesty, Matt is the only one who has any real feedback on the HL maduro. If an individual was offering me and all or nothing deal on some cigars that I had not tried, I would be hesitant as well. Dunno, maybe my bullshit radar is just off right now.

If you're that worried about spending $90 and not liking the cigar, why not just spend $9-$10 at a B&M and just try one? You've gotten no answers, there are no reviews, etc, etc, and you're going to buy these on someone elses recommendation? What's to say that what you like and what someone else like is the same thing?

If you're that worried about spending $90 and not liking the cigar, why not just spend $9-$10 at a B&M and just try one? You've gotten no answers, there are no reviews, etc, etc, and you're going to buy these on someone elses recommendation? What's to say that what you like and what someone else like is the same thing?

That is what I am going to do. At some point one of the B&M,s will get some and I will try one and if I like it I will grab a 5er or two. :)

Most place I have seen are selling them for a little over 9 dollars plus shipping. IMHO, you're getting a pretty good deal. Say you buy them and you try one and aren't to sure about them. So you let them sit for a while and try one in a couple months. If you still don't like them and you continue to be a contributing member in good standing at CP, I'm sure you would have no trouble selling them for what you paid for them.

Really it isn't a big deal. I was mostly wondering if anyone on the board really liked them. The $90 for 10 sticks was not a bad deal at all. I just want to be careful how I spend my cigar budget cash. Jonesy idea is the way I am going to go. :)

I'm having a hard time buying this. You said you have been enjoying ISOM for 5 years now and have been lurking CP for the last few months. Then you would know by now that we are going to ask questions when something like this happens. I get the fact you do not want to spend money on a cigar you know nothing about. Yet, what you stated in your Introduction post contradicts the statement of you not wanting to spend money on a cigar you know nothing about. As ISOM's are well known for their unreliable Quality Control. So as you will see, I just have a hard time believing this statement. Plus the added bonus that cigars are hand rolled generally and can have flaws in them. Whether known or not.

Secondly, you don't need your address in your profile to mooch. Example what me like the following:

I see this thread and look at your profile. Ok...no address. I may look at your Introduction thread for a name. Scored...I then do the following in a PM.

Hey RIck,

I have a Holy Lancero Maduro you can try so you don't need to spend $90 on unknowingly. Can I get your address please? I will get this out tomorrow.

Look forward to your response. etc, etc, etc.

But anyways...what I wonder about is who is willing to sell you the Holy Lancero Maduro as a all or nothing deal. I know any Cigar shop I've been in and a regular of, they would be willing to sell singles. So I don't see this as an option. Then that leads to either you know someone in person that is willing to sell them to you as a all or nothing deal or someone has posted this as a sale on a different cigar forum. Stuff isn't adding up in my mind. You join Oct 15th, 2010 and then start this thread on Oct 16th, 2010. Like mentioned before, your reactions to several posts does add more questions. I am curious as why this person that has 10 will only sell them as is or no deal. Many in the cigar world tend to buy 5'ers so that shouldn't be an issue. Can you explain more about why this is either you buy them all or you don't buy them at all?

I am not really sure how to respond to this. You have been here for a while and I don't want to show any disrespect. The deal I am being offered is from a person I know from a B&M I smoke at. He purchased a box of them online somewhere. They have not shown up yet in the B&M,s that I go to. I asked him because he metioned he got some. He said the regular line of HL were much better. I do have some regular HL and really like them. I asked him if he would like to sell one. He responded by saying he is letting them rest but would sell me 10 of them to recoup some of his cash. I was just looking for other opinions before I pulled the trigger. I am passing on the offer.

I do enjoy alot of ISOM cigars but not all of them. I can't stand most of the R&J or ERDM lines and alot of Cohiba's don't do much for me either. I got into this hobby through my brother who is obsessed with it. I got to try alot of different cigars both ISOM and NC from him. I have made alot of decisions on what to buy from cigars he has blessed me with. He and and family has moved in the last year so I don't get to see him. The other way I make decisions on cigars is by by buying singles from a B&M. If I like them I will buy more. If I really like them I will go online and buy a box because I can get a much better price.

I have been smoking cigars for a fair amount of time now. I have 300+ cigars in my humidors. I know that may not compare to some of the stashes other people have, hell it does not come close to what my brother has. I also don't have the amount of free cash to spend like he does. The cigars I have I know I like because I have tried them before buying boxes. I am not looking for any handouts from strangers. I will admit I will sponge some free sticks I have not tried from my brother but he is the only one I would do that with. I hope I have done a fair job at explaining where I am coming from when I asked that question on the HL maduro. I should have explained the situation better in my opening post. I have bought HTF cigars on a impulse. I have been burnt by the Dracs and the Tat Black tubos. I have been really happy with the Frank and so far the Face cigars. This Monster series is about the only cigar I will buy blindly. :)

As I said, I was just pointing out how it looked, not necessarily how it was. Your attitude and explanation go well together.

Give Uptown Isy / Norcalmark / Keystone raider/ a shout. He can likely hook you up with a couple of these and a few of something you trust.

As I said, I was just pointing out how it looked, not necessarily how it was. Your attitude and explanation go well together.

Give Uptown Isy / Norcalmark / Keystone raider/ a shout. He can likely hook you up with a couple of these and a few of something you trust.

Thank you very much for the heads up. :)

Thank you. I have seen the Crooked Burn review but not the other. The Crooked Burn review was good but the second review was not that good. A couple of the comments made on the second review were not that good also. I am slightly leery of Crooked Burn reviews as they always seem to be good. :)

I am not really sure how to respond to this. You have been here for a while and I don't want to show any disrespect. The deal I am being offered is from a person I know from a B&M I smoke at. He purchased a box of them online somewhere. They have not shown up yet in the B&M,s that I go to. I asked him because he metioned he got some. He said the regular line of HL were much better. I do have some regular HL and really like them. I asked him if he would like to sell one. He responded by saying he is letting them rest but would sell me 10 of them to recoup some of his cash. I was just looking for other opinions before I pulled the trigger. I am passing on the offer.

This explains it much better. I would pass on his offer since a real BOTL/SOTL would allow you to buy one to try. Since the others was going to rest. Stick around CP long enough to see how BOTL/SOTL do things for each other. :thumbs:

lol this thread sure is a bunch of blah blah blah for a question that was answered effectively in the first few replies

lol this thread sure is a bunch of blah blah blah for a question that was answered effectively in the first few replies

If I had explained the situation better it probably would have ended sooner. My bad!

Additionally MASSmoke, buying multiples of one cigar to determine if you will like them is typically a good play. The reason being, especially when they are from the same lot, you will be able to taste how the cigar will develop over time. Smoking it fresh, then say...one every few months...and even years later. Sometimes I find smoking cigars at different ages will result in a completely different experience for the same cigar. Thus, when buying to "try" I usually buy at least up to 5 of them (if possible and for the more readily available stogies) in order to get a long term judgment as to if I will like them.

:thumbs:

Very wise advice.
I like the hl maduros. The smoke is not quite as chewey as the originals but great flavors and a decent value

Today while visiting my local B&M I picked up a HL maduro paying $13.50, low and behold I was'nt even looking for the smoke. While looking around the HL maduro caught my attention and BAM I purchased it, sight on seen, no reviews notta!!!! This is the fun part of the journy of finding smokes you enjoy, even if it may involve putting a little cash out to obtain a few. If it turns out you didnt enjoy it I am sure you could find a buyer.