• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any vodka drinkers out there?

I have a bottle of Putinka Russian vodka. Anybody ever try it?

I had it during my last trip. One of the better vodkas I ran across in Moscow but it was also consumed like the Russians do it and not like here in the US. See my post on how to drink vodka.

I have a bottle of Putinka Russian vodka. Anybody ever try it?

I love a glass of vodka with splash of tonic & lime.
Belvedere all the way though, by far my favorite vodka

however if i'm drinking Red Bull & vodka I could care less what brand.

I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to Vodka, I prefer Belvedere straight up. Never mix anything with my Vodka's, just put them in the freezer, then drink straight up (neat). My sister bought me some Players Club Caramel, but I can't even drink the stuff. I drank it when she was here, but it nearly made me gag, couldn't tell her though, heh.

Absolut, for the price, actually wasn't too bad. I'm anxious to try U'Luvka Vodka though, have heard very good things about it.

I have always been a fan of Pravda as my premium vodka. The bottle looks a little try-hard, but the juice is fantastic.

I went through a vodka martini phase about 2 years ago. I've tried almost all the better vodkas out there and can't really taste much difference between them except for Chopin, which I can pick out of a line up every time.

I tend to drink more Belvedere than the others so I guess it's my favorite, although if someone filled a Belvedere bottle with Skyy I doubt I could tell the difference.

There is a French vodka called Ciroc that is distilled from grapes. I couldn't taste the difference but maybe you can. Some of you may remember a few years ago 60 Minutes or one of those news shows gathered a panel of so called experts together that claimed Grey Goose was their vodka of choice. During the blind taste test pretty much all of them picked a much cheaper vodka as their favorite. It seems like it was Smirnoff's. Lol

My vodka martini recipe is simple.

Pour 3-4 oz of your favorite vodka in a shaker over ice. Pour just enough vermouth into your martini glass to cover the surface when swirled, then dump out the remainer that doesn't stick to the sides. After shaking the shaker cup for about 30 seconds strain and pour the chilled vodka into the glass and top with 2 olives. SALUTE!

Ok, so I tryed this tonight after putting the kids to bed. Never been a big martini drinker...that is to say I doubt I tryed one until tonight. So I was enjoying a decent smoke, nothing fancy, and this drink....got about half way through and as I am thinking to myself, the cigar is actually going well with the drink, my damn ash falls off and lands right in it! Apparantly, it looking tasty enough to go for a swim or something.

Either that, or its a bad omen. Anyone know? lol

I tried some vodka called Russian Standard at my friends place. This was very different from vodkas I had tried before (Finlandia, Absolute, Smirnoff, SKY). It tasted very clean, not much of an alcohol flavor. I believe this is the kind of vodka Russians drink as shots along with a meal. Could be really dangerous when mixed, doesn't interfere much in the overall flavor. I liked it though, too bad you can't get it in Finland.

Turns out I was wrong, Tito's is actually distilled 6 times. I love it because it's excellent by itself, but cheap enough to be used in mixed drinks. It's the only vodka I ever buy anymore.

edit typo

I try to stick to Russian or Polish for authenticity's sake.

I like Russian Standard. I've heard good things about Ruskova even though it is inexpensive.

Anyone here try Jewel of Russia? $42 for 1L.

TampaSupremo

A few years ago while I was stationed in Alaska a buddy of mine who was a C-130 bubba did an exchange thing with a group of Russian aircrew guys. He was there for two weeks and he said those boys can DRINK !! Anyway he brought back a case of vodka that was absolutely unbelievable, it was silky smooth and had a very subtle sweetness to it. When sipped straight up it had no bite at all, as smooth as drinking water. I have been looking for it and never have been able to find it again, the bottle had a frosted look to it with Cyrillic writing on the bottle, NO IDEA what the name was.

I am going to shoot some of those guys an e mail when I get back to work and see if I can find out what it was, and if it is even available here. I would love to get a few bottles. I know he said it was dirt cheap over there. It was by far the best I have ever tasted.

I am searching some online liquer sales pages now.

Anyway he brought back a case of vodka that was absolutely unbelievable, it was silky smooth and had a very subtle sweetness to it. When sipped straight up it had no bite at all, as smooth as drinking water.

That sounds exactly like some moonshine I tried back in January. Real smooth, no bite and just a hint of sweetness. Real dangerous stuff, it tasted too good and went down too easy. :D

I enjoy Stoli over ice with soda water and a slice of lemon and for sure a fine full flavored stick, say a Padron 1926 #9. Immmmm

My vodka martini recipe is simple.

Pour 3-4 oz of your favorite vodka in a shaker over ice. Pour just enough vermouth into your martini glass to cover the surface when swirled, then dump out the remainer that doesn't stick to the sides. After shaking the shaker cup for about 30 seconds strain and pour the chilled vodka into the glass and top with 2 olives. SALUTE!

Thats the best way IMO although I like 3 olives. :blush:

Has anybody tried Precis Vodka? http://www.precisvodka.com/

I had a bottle a while back (5 or so years) and it was great. Never got around to getting another bottle. Dont see it around very often.

*snip* the bottle had a frosted look to it with Cyrillic writing on the bottle, NO IDEA what the name was. *snip*

Like this?:
ilstr-original.jpg

Russian Standard. A 1.75ml bottle at my usual spot is $28.99, but they have been known to overprice their wares.

-TampaSupremo

Personally I don't see why anyone likes Skyy vodka. If you can find it, try Effen Vodka.

Well I finally got around to getting a fifth of this, and I must say, it is as advertised. I was very impressed. Its funny, when I brought it home the wife turned her nose up to it until a made her a bloody mary with it, and it was all good.

I've yet to make a martini with it, but I find it excellent for use in my gimlets and its smooth enough that I don't need to overcompensate with the lime juice in those. And I think its a tiny bit cheaper than my normal "3 olives" brand. :)

I'm more of a brown liquor guy (and gin) but I've enjoyed Rain vodka over ice as well as Luksusowa, some Polish potato vodka a buddy of mine turned me on to. It's pretty reasonably priced (~$28 per 1.75L) and I like it more than the familiar vodkas.

Like this?:

TS,

Thanks for the info there, but no. That was not it. I did pick up a bottle of the Russian Standard the very next day. It was good but not even close to the stuff I had. Man I really wish I taken note at the time. It was unreal.

see ya

Mike

I am happy to see that many folks here have mentioned Russian Standard. I traveled to Russia twice and each time the Russian folks I met and worked with would swear that Russian Standard is the finest vodka in the world. I asked every one and every answer was Russian Standard. I tried it there with them and it was amazingly good. (Yes, at dinners they do put a small glass at the top of the plate)l

I am a brown liquor guy but that Russian Standard is scary good. Some one else said that it had no bite and was free of any off flavors...that is right. If you mix it with anything it is dangerous but it is THAT good.

Russian Standard makes an even further distilled variety sold in the US as Imperia. It is distilled something like 11 times and then filtered through quartz. It is truly a fine liquor.

As far as the cheaper ones go, I go with Svedka. It works for me but I rarely drink vodka unless it is quality stuff...or unless I am in Russia.