• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any vodka drinkers out there?

Give me a good Dirty Martini and a cigar. The martini had to be Ketal One or Grey Goose and a ton of olive juice no vermouth straight up three olives in a chilled glass. I think that the colder the vodka is the better it is. Putting it in the freezer a couple of hours before you are going to use makes a difference. I also found I like Level vodka when i am mixing with tonic or bloody marys. But the best bloody mary vodka is Absolut Pepper if you want to add some extra spice. Ok now I want a drink!! :D

Give me a good Dirty Martini and a cigar. The martini had to be Ketal One or Grey Goose and a ton of olive juice no vermouth straight up three olives in a chilled glass. I think that the colder the vodka is the better it is. Putting it in the freezer a couple of hours before you are going to use makes a difference. I also found I like Level vodka when i am mixing with tonic or bloody marys. But the best bloody mary vodka is Absolut Pepper if you want to add some extra spice. Ok now I want a drink!! :D

Add to that putting the Martini glass in the freezer also. And, give it a try with garlic stuffed olives. I am not much of a Dirty Martini fan, but they are great in a straight up Vodka Martini.

edit: spelling

russian standard
vox
zyr
ciroc

those are my favs as well. i just wish we could get some of the homeland russian stuff here easier. it is silly good.

I love me some vodka, but prefer to shoot it straight.

My best friend is from Russia and he usually brings home a couple bottles on his yearly trips. Its funny how much vodka changes over there, one year it tastes great, then the company sells out and its no good.

When buying vodka here in the states I go for Fris, Kettle One, and Sky. Stoli is the devil, absolut tasts like cough syrup, and grey goose is way over priced. Fris is great for taking shots and is nice and cheap. Kettle one and Sky are great mixers.

My buddy and I like to start the night off drinking beer after a nice meal while sitting by the pool with some stogies. Once dinner settles we bust out the vodka to take shots. He taught me a traditional way they drink in Russia.

You need 1 lemon, 1 onion, some rye bread and some pickles.

Cut the onion into bite sized pieces and once you have a decent amount squeeze the lemon over them. After you take your shot eat a piece of the onion, it helps the shot settle. Then have a pickle, and smell the rye bread (you can eat it as well). Once you can no longer smell the rye in the bread, you have had too much to drink and should stop. Sounds weird but they all complement each other well and it makes a nice snack while your drinking.

love vodka gimlets...with roses lime juice...i prefer a grain vodka versus a potato vodka...i like grey goose a lot....my brother lives in jarnac france not too far from the grey goose distillery...this is also in the middle of the cognac region so needless to say i drink some nice xo cognac while i am there....cheers David

Fris vodka is my favorite. It's relatively new, and pretty inexpensive. Note the use of inexpensive, not cheap. I would highly reccommend this to anyone who enjoys vodka and happens to see it.

A few years ago while I was stationed in Alaska a buddy of mine who was a C-130 bubba did an exchange thing with a group of Russian aircrew guys. He was there for two weeks and he said those boys can DRINK !! Anyway he brought back a case of vodka that was absolutely unbelievable, it was silky smooth and had a very subtle sweetness to it. When sipped straight up it had no bite at all, as smooth as drinking water. I have been looking for it and never have been able to find it again, the bottle had a frosted look to it with Cyrillic writing on the bottle, NO IDEA what the name was.

I am going to shoot some of those guys an e mail when I get back to work and see if I can find out what it was, and if it is even available here. I would love to get a few bottles. I know he said it was dirt cheap over there. It was by far the best I have ever tasted.

I am searching some online liquer sales pages now.

I had a Russian neighbor and DRINK is an understatement!! Had us over for his B-day and relatives came from around the country. They were drinking shots of Absolute. I sat down and immediately had a shot placed in front of me. I was respectful and killed it. It was immediately refilled!?! So, after about 5 more of these they pour me another. As I looked at it and the couple across the table, the lady says "You don't have to drink all of it". He picks his up, knocks it back, lokks at me and says, "That is right.... If you are a woman!" I drank a lot of Absolute that night.

For me, Smirnoff works as an everyday since I mix it with either tonic or unsweetened tea (icepick).

I like Belvedere for Martini's. Splash of Vermouth, drizzle of olive brine.

If you like olives you MUST try Mrs Scarlett's. I get 'drunken hot bullets' they are stuffed with jalapenos and garlic cloves!

IMO, best premium vodka out there is Jewel of Russia. For a slightly cheaper bottle, Precis is the best, followed by Ciroq.

Also,
Belvedere
Thor's Hammer
Blue Glacier
Glacier
Chopin

You might like this story I posted.

My buddy and I like to start the night off drinking beer after a nice meal while sitting by the pool with some stogies. Once dinner settles we bust out the vodka to take shots. He taught me a traditional way they drink in Russia.

You need 1 lemon, 1 onion, some rye bread and some pickles.

Cut the onion into bite sized pieces and once you have a decent amount squeeze the lemon over them. After you take your shot eat a piece of the onion, it helps the shot settle. Then have a pickle, and smell the rye bread (you can eat it as well). Once you can no longer smell the rye in the bread, you have had too much to drink and should stop. Sounds weird but they all complement each other well and it makes a nice snack while your drinking.

That's very insightful AVB, I shared that with my friend and he said you are 100% correct. I was always wondering why he was looking for fish when he came over.... :thumbs:

I was suprised how much more I was able to drink when I drank with him the first time. I thought it was the company until we started hanging out more and he insisted on eating at certain times before drinking. I'm able to keep pretty good pace with him when we drink but that man can pack it away. I find myself having to obstain from a shot every now and then as he can go non stop.

Here is a pic from our vodka drinking about 2 years ago. A bunch of us met online gaming and have become like family. I had 17 guys (1 gal) over at my house for a weekend of drinking in 05, had the best time ever.
IMG_0224.jpg

Amen brother. Me and vodka have a love hate relationship. I love it, and everyone else hates me with it. I can drink vodka shots like water, it's terrible. Personally my favorite "top shelf" has always been Belvedere. If I'm making cheap mix drinks, then it's Smirnoff all the way. I'm not a Ciroc or Grey Goose fan. The few times I tried them I did not like the after taste. Also, I do not like combing cigars and vodka. The vodka always over powers the cigar, IMO.

My favorite vodka drink is a screwdriver, but it's gotta have plup. :thumbs:

Try putting a habanero or 2 in a bottle and leaving them in there for a week. Take them out and leave the bottle in the freezer. Serve cold and it plays some wild tricks with your mouth.

I'm having one of my staples at the moment...the gimlet. Of course russians would just laugh at me...but it wouldn't be the first time lol. Unfortunately, finances only allow for some Three Olives, but beggars can't be choosers...and I'm mixing anyways!

A lot of nice suggestions on here I can't wait to try! :)

I try to stick to Russian or Polish for authenticity's sake.

A friend of mine swears by Kutskova for that reason. He also claims that vodka isn't really vodka unless it is made from grain. However, I have come to really like Blue Ice vodka, which is made here in Idaho from potatoes.

My favorites:
Blue Ice
Kutskova
Ketel One
Three Olives

But I am relatively new to trying vodkas. Have fun finding your favorite!

*edit to add:

One drink I have recently come to really like is the Vesper, but I use:
3 parts Bardenay Gin
1 part Blue Ice Vodka
1/2 part Lillet
Shaken, chilled neat, w/ a lemon twist.

Bond knew what he was talking about. :thumbs:

I am not much of a Vodka drinker but out of the few I've tried my favorites would have to be Idol and Choppin. Very Smooth.