• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anybody ever hear/listen to an Audio by Van Alstine Ultravalve Tube Am

System synergy is just an audiophlake term for my amplifier can deal with the electrical demands of my loud speakers.

Doc

Devil Doc said:
System synergy is just an audiophlake term for my amplifier can deal with the electrical demands of my loud speakers.

Doc
Hah! A lot to be said for that. 

I did quite a bit of Van Alstine related reading over the weekend. I was vacillating over his Hybrid preamp and the T9. Pretty sure I'm going T9 with phono riaa. 
I'm going to hook it up to my Solid State He-Man Leach Amp while I save up for the Ultravalve. Talked to Frank about biasing the Ultravalve, and it is a piece of cake as well as very safe. His philosophy on tube design, choosing tubes that will be compatible with that philosophy, and the idea that with proper engineering, we shouldn't need vintage tubes or tube rolling to get good sound is so practical and refreshing.

True enough, but my T-8+ sound pretty good with NOS RCA Silver Top 6CG7's recommended by Dick Olsher.

Doc

Not sure what either of you said, but it sounds interesting :sign:

bfreebern said:
Not sure what either of you said, but it sounds interesting :sign:
Well, you know they're both a generation or so above us Brandon, so you can't expect to understand that antiquated terminology.

Yea, you two actually ever seen a tube?

Doc

Devil Doc said:
Yea, you two actually ever seen a tube?

Doc

Not in person, just pictures.  I've always wanted to hear something on a tube.

Devil Doc said:
True enough, but my T-8+ sound pretty good with NOS RCA Silver Top 6CG7's recommended by Dick Olsher.

Doc
Damn it, Doc...

:laugh:

OK. so it turns out I met a guy on base who has a T9. He brought it over and we hooked it to the Leach Amp feeding into my Thiel loudspeakers. It did flesh out the stage to larger in both width and depth. I thought it did a fine job portraying the music, but found the System's upper midrange and treble still a bit too bright. This preamp is brutally honest. Maybe too honest for the rest of the components in the system. One of his friends had a Audio Electronic Supply, by Cary, "Constellation" Preamp. We installed that, and I would say it was comparable to the AVA in performance, with a bit more coloration, warming the upper mids and highs. In this case, that was a very good thing. Both are musical. Neither pleased me as much as my old Counterpoint.  :(

A few days later, the fellow who had the Constellation gives me a call, giving me a lead on a company clearing them out at $750.00 for a $1500.00 preamp that I can live with. I should have it mid week! Now to finish saving up for the Amp.

My valve amplifiers say "Marshall" on the front.

I think I'm in the wrong thread.  

Damn it...

kann said:
My valve amplifiers say "Marshall" on the front.

I think I'm in the wrong thread.  

Damn it...
Not really, anybody who appreciates the performance of Tubes is always welcome... ;)

I never really got totally away from tubes, although have triamped and run the subs with Bridged Crown SS amps for a number of years.

Ran GM70s driven by 75th's on the midranges for the last 8 or ten years. As I have continued to lose higher frequencies in recent years the lushness of the GM70  75th mids began to get on my nerves.

I have sold the midrange amps and replaced them with a First Watt, S2 at 10 watts per channel, static inductor Transistor, only a single gain stage. The curves on it are almost identical to Single Ended Triodes.

Really like the sound. Still not all solid state, am running the top pair of drivers with 2A3's in a parafeed design driven by 76's. :)

MadMonk said:
I use JRiver for my desktop / near field / computer rig as well, Personal User. I think it sounds better than Itunes
BTW, upgraded to latest version of Jriver and it sounds better. Does screw up your playlists and libraries when you do so.