• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone ever been robbed?

Sorry to hear about this Alan. Best wishes to you and your family!

Wow. Just read this. So sorry to hear of your family's violation. My apartment was robbed when I was first out on my own. Neighbors front, back, and sides didn't see a thing in broad daylight. Yeah.

Sounds like the insurance company will take care of you though so at least that's one less thing to worry about.

Wilkey

Uggg....sorry to hear it Alan. Take comfort in the fact that what's most important wasn't harmed.

Sorry to hear about your loss bro and I too am glad no one was hurt. People and pets are harder to replace then the stuff is.

Maybe they will catch 'em and the police will give you a few minutes alone with 'em before booking. :D Thinking of that got me through the first few nights when they stole my ride. Hope it gives you as much comfort as it gave me.

Fish

That's terrible news. Glad everyone is ok but I know that violated feeling is tough. Good luck to you.

Our neighbor's house had their FRONT DOOR kicked in last month around noon when she ran out to the post office. She was gone for about 10 minutes but this was long enough for the bastards to make a mess and take the electronics. They were caught a week later while doing the same thing in the next town over.

Since that time I've had my home inspected by the local police to tell me some simple things I could do to help deter the same from happening to us.

Window sash locks, a length of 2x4 to block the sliding door (as well as c ouple of long screws partially installed in the upper track to prevent lifting it), some better deadbolts, and replacing the bulbs in those motion detecting lights I installed a few years back.

Most law enforcement agencies offer free inspections like this. I strongly suggest everyone take them up on it.

Damn Alan sorry to hear about this. I would have thought folks up in that part of the state would be less of jerks then down here in the cities. I am glad you and yours are all safe atleast. Yea thats Minnesota 35 degrees and we get excited about smoking one outside this time of the year.

Thanks again for all of the well wishes. The alarm guy is coming out tomorrow to advise us on a system. I'm not sure if it would stop someone, but maybe it would get a quick response from the sheriff. The neighbors aren't close enough to hear much, especially when houses are buttoned up for the winter. They didn't hear them busting through the double paned french door and I'm sure that was pretty damn loud.

I got a call from the lead investigator a little while ago. They caught a guy selling one of my wife's rings at a local pawn shop, but they don't think he was involved. I guess he traded some drugs for it. :(

To all those who have PMed me, the cigars aren't that important. The humidor was the first really nice humidor I purchased, though, and I had hoped to give it to my boy when he was old enough. That was what made it my "special" humidor. I'm bummed about losing the cigars (many of them were gifted from generous BOTL here), but the humidor was my main concern. I'm sure there are some very premium blunts being passed around as we speak somewhere in this craphole of a town.

Window sash locks, a length of 2x4 to block the sliding door (as well as c ouple of long screws partially installed in the upper track to prevent lifting it), some better deadbolts, and replacing the bulbs in those motion detecting lights I installed a few years back.

Most law enforcement agencies offer free inspections like this. I strongly suggest everyone take them up on it.

All really good information concerning the doors, LONG screws work very well, alarm systems are good too, but that depends on your agency and if you're dealing with city of county areas. In the cities, people are astounded to see our response times, around 5 minutes.

LilBastage, I am very sorry for your loss sir. Like everyone else has said here, the sheer violation of it is the hardest part. I am sorry for the loss of your humidor, and I hope that in time this experience will heal. Sometimes there are things in life that just happen, the deteriation of our society is prevalent, but it's good knowing you have fellow BOTLs to help you out in any way possible.

Hopefully the guy with your wife's ring was arrested for being in possession of stolen property....

Man am I sorry to hear that. Thank God nobody was hurt. Keep an eye on that jewelry though Alan. For sure they're going to try to pawn it, and Minnesota is very strict when it comes to pawning jewelry. If you have any numbers to identify the jewelry, be sure to report them. There's probably more you could do to be proactive on the pawning front, but I'm not sure what that is. Might be worth looking into.

Take care man. Let us know when you're down this way.

I know this sounds a bit niave, but I wouldn't have thought this would happen in the midwest. I wish you and your family the best.

God, that's awful, really sorry to hear about this. It's really terrible they would stoop so low as to take some of your little boy's toys. I hope they catch the assholes who did it. And I especially hope you and your family are coping o.k. after this.

-mark

I too am sorry to hear about this...

It really doesn't matter where you live anymore. I have family up north in the middle of nowhere that have been robbed. I live in Bloomington (pretty good city) and have had my car broken into, my garage broken into, my car get towed because of false information (had to pay $375 to get it back), 3 car audio amps get stollen, been scammed tons of times, etc. All these things weren't covered by insurance or wasen't worth the claim, I have lost thousands.

Just recently (this month) I bought a stand up freezer from someone on craigslist. The person sold it to me knowing that it had a freon leak but told me everything was fine. When I went to pick it up from their house they had it unplugged, that made me think but they "seemed" trusting so I bought it. I called 4 times, wrote 3 emails, finally the guy calls me back and said "you're not getting anything back" and hangs up. I am so mad, I know where he lives too but I am not the type of person to do anything about it. Sucky thing is that I sold some of my personal things so I could save and buy this freezer that my wife wanted, now we have no working freezer, down $250, and have to pay to recycle this thing! The leak is in the condensor lines that are conveniently located in the walls of ths unit and are un-accessible...just freakin' perfect!

Having your house broken into must feel horrible, way too personal of a space to be ransacked. Take care, glad insurance is taking care of you and the family and pups weren't hurt.

Alan,

When I first started dating the wonderful woman who was to become my wife, she was robbed. The worst part is the violation, and the years of recovery, asking yourself if you locked the front door. THe house was a shambles, and her housemate came home while they were still in the house. They had rigged the garage door opener to not open but the noise gave them a warning to scoot. They dropped my wife's jewelry on their way out, so they didn't get much, but it reminds you that your castle has low walls and a shallow moat.

Good luck putting everything back together; my prayers go out to you.

Sean

WOW...sucks to hear. Others are right, its the feeling thats hard to shake. Woke up a couple of years ago and got ready to go to work. Walked outside and the car was gone. Glad you and your family is safe though.

Good luck dealing with insurance, hope they treat you well.

I posted this over on the other thread.

"Be careful. They very well might come back in two weeks or so to get the replacement stuff. Happened to me a long time ago and to a friend just last year. "

Terry

Sorry to hear Alan, it just plain sucks. Hopefully everything will turn out alright for you.