• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone mechanically inclined?

Bwahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahhaahaahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahah!

Sorry to hear that, Tim. I hope you're able to find a reasonably priced LS1.

Is it a v8 Camaro? $3000 sounds awfully high for the v6 version.

No, its the V6 3.8L... dealership just got back to me... $2500 for the engine. $1200 for labour and parts... $3800 total. New out of the box.

:-(

They are looking for a used engine now.

If you have to throw in an engine anyway then throw the biggest thing that can fit and you can afford

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edit: shoot forget the afford part

Sorry to hear about your car. I was bummed when I found out it was $300 to replace the power steering pump & reservoir in our Jeep today. I'm not complaining now.

Hope they find a reasonable replacement for you. Good luck!

BR

Call around the salvage yards. 3.8 is an engine that's been used in a ton of vehicles.

Throwing a rod at 45K sucks. Whoever had it before you must have beat the ever living hell out of that car. Might want to look at everything else before investing thousands of $$$'s in the car just to find the transmission fails, the differential fails, etc.

Yea, that 3.8 was in almost every GM car from 1962 until the 200x's. One of the best V6's ever developed. You'd be a punk to replace it with another 3.8 though; go V8 bro!

Honestly there is quite a bit of work to be done from a v6 to v8 conversion,
I had a sinking feeling when i first seen your post about it being a thrown rod didn't want to post bad luck in the thread.

If you want to keep your current car i personally would do my best about getting a rebuilt v6 for it.
For those saying he should drop a lsx in it there's quite a bit of work involved and if hes not mechanically inclined alot of cash also.

Just a few things needed if switched.

Transmission as its different from v6 to v8
Engine Cradle also with LSX engine mounts as it sits lower.
Radiator, Additional steam line on it.
Fuel pump assembly as the v6 does not have the volume required nor does it have a regulator mounted in the tank like a lsx.
Gauge Cluster must be changed.
Wiring Harness and Coolant/A/C lines.
A fun one is having to change out the gas pedal because the 3.8's use a electronic sender, so a mechanical pedal must be swapped.
Suspension and steering rack.
Along with a stronger rear end etc.

Sounds like you have a car you really love regardless of whats powering it get your baby back on the road with either a good used engine or a nice rebuilt one somewhere.

Ty is right... but what the hell...

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/crate_engines/chevy_sbc.shtml

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Tim,

Perhaps you should consider having them check the whole drive train. This way, you might have less surprises? I don't know for sure if that is a viable sort of thing to do, as I am not a car person. I just want to get from point "a" to point "b".

I don't know what you paid for the car, but if you consider a car payment, and compare it to how long the Camaro will last, after repairs, it may turn out that you will have the repair bills paid off long before you paid off another car loan? Just a thought. Best of luck with this. If it makes you feel any better, I am paying about 30K in medical bills right now, so it could be worse, bro. Keep your head up.

I also agree with keeping the car stock. The extra work, fuel costs, and possibly insurance differance will make it much more painful.

Yea, that 3.8 was in almost every GM car from 1962 until the 200x's. One of the best V6's ever developed. You'd be a punk to replace it with another 3.8 though; go V8 bro!

Not as easy and cheap of a task as you might think with ECM controlled cars.

Here's a link to a crate motor supplier. You might find something here.
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/Chevy-Small-Block-Engines-C510.aspx

Thanks everyone for your wishes. So far the repair bill is $4100 getting my brothers dealership rates. Could have been a lot worse, but I am getting labour at $65/hr instead of the going $119 /hr.

Looks like Ill be having the car towed home today or tomorrow to sit in my garage for a few years until I can afford to repair it.

:-(

Try another local mechanic. Dealerships are a retarded ripoff.

Try another local mechanic. Dealerships are a retarded ripoff.

Agreed, stealerships will always try to get the most they can out of you. I use to have a z28 I blew the motor after 2 months(it was the 350T.P.I) found a guy on craigslist selling... I cant remember if it was a jimmy but it had the same motor for $800 he had crashed the car. Good thing was motor and tranny where fine after the crash so me and my buddy did the swap no problem.