• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone using DVR software?

Swissy

Livin' the retired life!
Anyone using their computer as a TiVo style DVR machine? I see lots of software out there to manage recordings and channel listings- which do you use and why? I decided to use all the old spare parts I've accumulated and set up a windows based recorder to record crap on TV.

thanks gang!

SnapStream Beyond TV 3 is only $70 but you'll need to have a tuner card already. PC Mag recommended. If you leave the server on you can even program and play via the web. :thumbs:

I use Sage TV (www.sage.tv). I've got it set up on multiple computers around the house. I really like the "intelligent recording" functionality, which acts like a TIVO does and figures out what you like & don't like, and automatically records it for you.

If you go this route, be aware, you'll never have enough disk space again. I've got over a terabyte, and I could definitely use more. ;)

If you are willing to learn some very basic linux, mythTV is really the way to go... Much better product than TiVo even.

rknicker said:
If you are willing to learn some very basic linux, mythTV is really the way to go... Much better product than TiVo even.
[snapback]230002[/snapback]​

I agree, MYTH is a good one. FreeVo is also a good one but kind of a bear to config.

-gp

I have a Compro PVR card that works pretty good. I picked it up at Newegg for around $50

compro info

It will turn the computer on and record shows and then power down if you set it to or you can hit a button on the remote and record that Girls Gone Wild commercial.

I would give it 9 out of 10 based on ease of use, quality, and price.

No. I bought a separate unit from cyberhome, $70 Can at Walmart. Records anything, and has a timer (i record on DVD+RW). I have also ordered a SIMA CT-200 to record from other sources (of course to back up my old DVD's). I guess the VCR is pretty much useless nowadays.. time for it to retire to the closet with the 8-track player.

Ed