• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone using WinXP Pro x64?

Swissy

Livin' the retired life!
Is anyone using Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition? If you are, is it worth it? How are programs running in it (both 64 and 32 versions)... faster, slower, same?

how about games? any problems?

As I'm sitting here waiting for my new parts to be delievered (on truck for delivery!!) I thought I'd look into it some.
thanks!

Well to be honest if you have a 64 pin chip coming, running regular windows simply defeats the purpose of having the chip. Win XP 64 pro has been out for 3 years now and is standard on all home pc's the run the 64 pin chips. I don’t think you'll have any problems running it.

Swissy said:
Is anyone using Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition? If you are, is it worth it? How are programs running in it (both 64 and 32 versions)... faster, slower, same?

As I'm sitting here waiting for my new parts to be delievered (on truck for delivery!!) I thought I'd look into it some.
thanks!
[snapback]295409[/snapback]​
Don't do it. Just stick with XP Pro 32 bit. Much more stable. I use it at work and, think 64 bit isn't worth it right now. As of right now it is only trial, so you only get like 30 days (I think) at least that is how it is here.

Mrepp said:
Well to be honest if you have a 64 pin chip coming, running regular windows simply defeats the purpose of having the chip. Win XP 64 pro has been out for 3 years now and is standard on all home pc's the run the 64 pin chips. I don’t think you'll have any problems running it.
[snapback]295413[/snapback]​
Most vendors are still giveing you XP Home or sometimes Pro 32 bit for a high end system. I haven't seen a computer from a vendow ship with 64.

ukyfan said:
Swissy said:

thanks!
[snapback]295409[/snapback]​
Don't do it. Just stick with XP Pro 32 bit. Much more stable. I use it at work and, think 64 bit isn't worth it right now. As of right now it is only trial, so you only get like 30 days (I think) at least that is how it is here.
[snapback]295415[/snapback]​

The more I look into it, this seems to be the normal reply... seems there are lockups and 'weird problems', to quote one site, than with the normal 32bit version. There's even a 64bit version of Far Cry (my fav game) and the framerates are worse than the 32 version! :0

I'll keep looking into it, but I might as well stick with the version I have already...

64 bit is nothing but smoke and mirrors as its implemented ATM, stick with 32bit XP pro and you'll be good. :)

I love far cry as well :thumbs:

Most normal users would never even use the features that 64 bit procs. have anyway. I have a 64 bit proc in my home computer but that is just because it runs a hell of a lot faster than Intel chips at a fraction of the price.

ukyfan said:
Most normal users would never even use the features that 64 bit procs. have anyway. I have a 64 bit proc in my home computer but that is just because it runs a hell of a lot faster than Intel chips at a fraction of the price.
[snapback]295440[/snapback]​

John Carmack of id said in a recent interview that he hasn't even completely figured out how to program for 64bit yet and he thinks its going to be at least 8 to 10 years before we start seeing games that take full advantage of both 64bit code and the dual core CPUs.

Wurm said:
ukyfan said:
[snapback]295440[/snapback]​

John Carmack of id said in a recent interview that he hasn't even completely figured out how to program for 64bit yet and he thinks its going to be at least 8 to 10 years before we start seeing games that take full advantage of both 64bit code and the dual core CPUs.
[snapback]295445[/snapback]​
I agree, but when you see dual core games come out.... Watch The F#$K Out! :thumbs:

Kinda what I thought... just waiting to get my new stuff up and running (where the HELL is that FedEx guy... he better not have delivered to the wrong house AGAIN!)

went dual core AMD as the price is a HELL of a lot better and they kick the CRAP outta Intel in gaming. And since this will be my game/lan party computer... :whistling: And once I get the water cooling going in a month or so, I'll be able to overclock the crap outta it reliably! :cool:

PS... Far Cry ROCKS! 9/10 on my scale... woulda got 10/10 had they incorporated Co-Op multiplay :angry: I won't buy non-coop games anymore...

Swissy said:
went dual core AMD as the price is a HELL of a lot better and they kick the CRAP outta Intel in gaming.
[snapback]295449[/snapback]​
That is just how I feel! :thumbs:
When I got mine, I don't think AMD had the Dual Cores out yet. :angry2:

Swissy said:
Kinda what I thought... just waiting to get my new stuff up and running (where the HELL is that FedEx guy... he better not have delivered to the wrong house AGAIN!)

went dual core AMD as the price is a HELL of a lot better and they kick the CRAP outta Intel in gaming. And since this will be my game/lan party computer... :whistling: And once I get the water cooling going in a month or so, I'll be able to overclock the crap outta it reliably! :cool:

PS... Far Cry ROCKS! 9/10 on my scale... woulda got 10/10 had they incorporated Co-Op multiplay :angry: I won't buy non-coop games anymore...
[snapback]295449[/snapback]​

You like co-op? Pick up Serious Sam 2 if you don't have it already... that game kicks ass.

And if you need and help with the water cooling set-up let me know, my rig has been H2O :cool: for over 2 years now.

I use a Mac G5 dual 1.8 Ghz with 2 gigs RAM and dual 21" monitors.

Since I know you wanted to know that :)

mhortsch said:
I use a Mac G5 dual 1.8 Ghz with 2 gigs RAM and dual 21" monitors.

Since I know you wanted to know that :)
[snapback]295455[/snapback]​

lol

AMD 3700+ @ 4200+ with 2.5 gigs of DDR 500 and dual 19" monitors

Since I know you wanted to know that as well. ;)

ukyfan said:
That is just how I feel! :thumbs:
When I got mine, I don't think AMD had the Dual Cores out yet. :angry2:
[snapback]295452[/snapback]​

man, if your MB will support it with a BIOS update, I'd upgrade... they're dirt cheap nowadays! I got my 4400+ for $450, and that's a heck of a lot cheaper compared to the comparable Intel chip... and wiat a few more weeks and they'll be even cheaper now that the FX-60 is out. Almost went that route (FX-55) but figured the X2 would be more beneficial for the photoshop/video edting stuff. Can't ALL be games I guess.

Wurm said:
You like co-op? Pick up Serious Sam 2 if you don't have it already... that game kicks ass.

And if you need and help with the water cooling set-up let me know, my rig has been H2O :cool: for over 2 years now.
[snapback]295453[/snapback]​

I've seen it, just haven't gotten it. I actually prefer things like Call OF Duty (no Co-Op!! :angry: ) so my latest is an older game that had an expansion released which added co-op... Hidden And Dangerous 2. WWII, Nazis, tanks, jeeps, what more can a guy ask for!! :laugh: My fav frag is running over an entire platoon of Nazis in a jeep at a high rate of speed :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

EDIT: oh yeah, who did you go thru for your cooling stuff?? I'm talking with DangerDen as they have components specific for my MB and such... it takes some different and unusual parts to do

Swissy said:
ukyfan said:
That is just how I feel!  :thumbs:
When I got mine, I don't think AMD had the Dual Cores out yet.  :angry2:
[snapback]295452[/snapback]​

man, if your MB will support it with a BIOS update, I'd upgrade... they're dirt cheap nowadays! I got my 4400+ for $450, and that's a heck of a lot cheaper compared to the comparable Intel chip... and wiat a few more weeks and they'll be even cheaper now that the FX-60 is out. Almost went that route (FX-55) but figured the X2 would be more beneficial for the photoshop/video edting stuff. Can't ALL be games I guess.

Wurm said:

[snapback]295453[/snapback]​

I've seen it, just haven't gotten it. I actually prefer things like Call OF Duty (no Co-Op!! :angry: ) so my latest is an older game that had an expansion released which added co-op... Hidden And Dangerous 2. WWII, Nazis, tanks, jeeps, what more can a guy ask for!! :laugh: My fav frag is running over an entire platoon of Nazis in a jeep at a high rate of speed :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
[snapback]295461[/snapback]​

RTCW > H&D IMO... got to love the SS babes in black leather :D

*edit* My rig is Innovatek cooled, pure euro-trash h2o baby, I got to meet the owner of the company doing an interview for Sharky Extreme (where I am one of the gaming moderators) and he hooked me up with a 500 €uro system for free :thumbs:

My CPU / Northbridge and HDD are all watercooled, my 6800GT has a N6 Artic cooler on it so I decided to leave it on air since I upgrade my graphic cards more often than anything else. In fact I just ordered this card for my PC and am going to slide my 6800GT into my daughters rig since shes a gamer too.

evga e-GeForce 7800 GS CO Superclock™

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?...09-AX&family=22

Can't wait to give it a spin.

Thanks... I'll look into that.

here's an interesting article I read... great info on the different speeds of chips. I liked it as it covered my favorite type of game... flight sims :thumbs:

http://www.simhq.com/_technology/technology_055a.html

Amazing that a dual core AMD at $500 will outrun an Intel at $900+ in every catagory, game-wise.