• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Are limited/Specialty cigars worth the price of admission?

MichaelB

I wanted to get everyone's opinion on limited or specialty cigars like Tatuaje Monster series, Alec Bradley Fine & Rare, etc. Cigars that come out in very limited numbers and usually a higher price. My question is do you get hung up on the scarcity of these cigars? I will admit I am usually a sucker for limited cigars because I enjoy not only the taste of cigars but the collection of them. As soon as the Fine & Rare hit the shelves I'm in full search mode to buy a box. Now I think they are a great cigar but are they worth $16.50 a stick? I'm not sure, but I find myself buying them with total disregard to their price. So who else out their enjoys the hunt and the collection of these limited edition sticks? and what cigars do you find yourself searching for?

In a word, NO! Plus most folks that end up paying more than $15 for a cigar end up saving them for a special occasion. Cigars are for smoking, not for collecting like baseball cards.

tone-ny said:
In a word, NO! Plus most folks that end up paying more than $15 for a cigar end up saving them for a special occasion. Cigars are for smoking, not for collecting like baseball cards.
I tend to agree with that, although I dont think there's anything wrong with collecting cigars (or anything else that takes your fancy). But a limited edition anything is just a marketing ploy to persuade us that we should be spending more on a product that, in many cases, is no better, and in some cases, not really limited in its availability at all.

When I buy cigars, I buy them because I want to smoke them, and when I've done that, I'll buy some more.

In the early days, I was excited by the chase.  Now, I know what I like and that's what I smoke.  I wouldn't buy a box of anything that I hadn't already tried and truly enjoyed. 

I'll confuse it a little bit.  Some (not all) cigars are expensive because of how labor intensive it is to create an amazing smoke.  Some are expensive for I don't know what reason, other than maybe namesake.  A wonderful smoke can take years to produce, frequently turning the fermenting tobacco leafs.  I have some expensive limited edition cigars that I am storing because I want to enjoy them again later in life.  I don't see the need to be gluttonous when you find a great smoke.  Save it for another rotation at another time.  But don't save it forever like tone-ny says.  IMHO some limited edition cigar smoking is necessary to fully experience the culture.

p.s. I should also clarify that I cant really comment on the prices you quoted (ie $16.50 each), because I routinely pay $20-$25 each. Not because I want to, but because thats how much they generally cost here in the UK, so from a US point of view, I dont really know if $16.50 is an outrageous price or not. When I'm in the US, I usually pay around $11-12 per cigar for the brand I usually like, which is probably expensive for the US, but for me, its a bargain. So my comment above was more about the collection side of things, rather than the price.

Our sales tax here is 20%, income tax runs at 40%, and luxury items like cigars attract extra taxes all of their own.

(Im not sure if that makes sense, but I didnt know how else to explain it) :D

MidAtlantic said:
p.s. I should also clarify that I cant really comment on the prices you quoted (ie $16.50 each), because I routinely pay $20-$25 each. Not because I want to, but because thats how much they generally cost here in the UK, so from a US point of view, I dont really know if $16.50 is an outrageous price or not. When I'm in the US, I usually pay around $11-12 per cigar for the brand I usually like, which is probably expensive for the US, but for me, its a bargain. So my comment above was more about the collection side of things, rather than the price.

Our sales tax here is 20%, income tax runs at 40%, and luxury items like cigars attract extra taxes all of their own.

(Im not sure if that makes sense, but I didnt know how else to explain it) :D
I think the price isn't as important as topic. I just put it in there because that's what I pay. I should clarify that I do like the collection of cigars in order to age them and I only buy what I like in boxes. I really do like Fine & Rare's but I wonder if some of it is due to their scarcity.

The scarcity is usually marketing rather than a true scarcity, as others have said. There are plenty of easily available, great smokes out there to buy instead of chasing "limited" smokes.

If you like 'em, though.. smoke what you like. :)

You know something, I think that at the end of the day, you should do whatever makes you happy. As long as it doesnt get you into trouble, just do what feels right for you. I know thats a very 'on the fence' kind of reply but if you have the money, and if you want limited editions, just go for it.

I must also say that after a couple of glasses of rather nice cabernet, my responses arent making a lot of sense. I'll shut up now :D

stevehawk said:
In the early days, I was excited by the chase.  Now, I know what I like and that's what I smoke.  I wouldn't buy a box of anything that I hadn't already tried and truly enjoyed. 

Steve nailed it.  If you enjoy the chase, by all means, have fun.  For me, after a few years of killing myself to find the latest / greatest / coolest / hardest to find smokes, I just got tired of the nonsense.  I can name a dozen boxes of fantastic smokes that I can buy with a phone call, no chase required.  There are some sticks I buy that are $25.00 smokes, but I recently just found a box of sticks I like for about $3.25 each.  Price matters, and it doesn't matter at the same time.

Some of the comments about the price of the "hard to find" smokes are also right on.  Are they expensive because they are using some ultra rare tobacco rolled by an awesome roller, or are they expensive because the manufacturer artificially limited the production....so they could jack up the price.  That's a valid question.....but at the end of the day, if you dig them, buy them...!!

Is it worth the price?  That will always be relative.  But I will generally agree with Anthony regarding his post.  Buy and age yourself.  I'm happy that I've been around the hobby long enough to have purchased cigars that are closing in on ten years old.  

Buy and smoke what you like!!!

MichaelB said:
I wanted to get everyone's opinion on limited or specialty cigars like Tatuaje Monster series, Alec Bradley Fine & Rare, etc. Cigars that come out in very limited numbers and usually a higher price. My question is do you get hung up on the scarcity of these cigars? I will admit I am usually a sucker for limited cigars because I enjoy not only the taste of cigars but the collection of them. As soon as the Fine & Rare hit the shelves I'm in full search mode to buy a box. Now I think they are a great cigar but are they worth $16.50 a stick? I'm not sure, but I find myself buying them with total disregard to their price. So who else out their enjoys the hunt and the collection of these limited edition sticks? and what cigars do you find yourself searching for?
If you like them, buy them.

Don't forget, some of those limited don't cut the mustard! ;)

A lot of "limited" stuff these days, just means they didn't have enough tobacco to put into full production. Slap "limited," "exclusive," or "rare" on it...profit.

And as Gary said...some of them suck.

A limited edition from a reputable cigar maker---someone whose regular lines are already known for the quality and tastiness---is generally worth it. If it's someone like Alec Bradley, on the other hand . . .  :laugh:

I've had pretty good experiences generally.  And some absolutely stellar ones, as well.

~Boar

I don't chase the HTF stuff that hard, but I will call a place or two before I give up.  After that, I just wait for them to come up on CP, and buy from a member here.

In general, no. But the real question is whether a cigar, any cigar, is worth the price to you.

I believe this is more of a budget question. To someone who makes six figures or more, $15 to $25 per cigar is not an issue. Myself, I thank God that there have never been more good segundos available since I started smoking. At $2 to $3 per cigar even I can afford an very good cigar! :thumbs:

I will be the first to admit I get a little wacky over the Monster series it is what really got me into the full storage and up keep of aging cigars. I am a huge horror nut especially classic horror so to me its more about the significance of the dress box then it is the HTF or fact that it is limited. As for anything else that is Limited other than the monster series I won't loose sleep over not getting them. As for the price of the monster series it is always an MSRP of $13 a stick no matter the size or shape of the stick. I think that this is very reasonable and some of the monsters in my opinion I would have paid more for just based on the cigar it self.

I think it all comes with personal preference but like most said don't collect the cigars smoke them! You could get hit buy a truck tomorrow and will be kicking your ass that you didn't at least smoke some of them. I collect the dress box when it comes down to the monster series that's it I smoke the cigars from time to time and have given more of them away then I think I have smoked. 

Paul

Tall Paul said:
I will be the first to admit I get a little wacky over the Monster series it is what really got me into the full storage and up keep of aging cigars. I am a huge horror nut especially classic horror so to me its more about the significance of the dress box then it is the HTF or fact that it is limited. As for anything else that is Limited other than the monster series I won't loose sleep over not getting them. As for the price of the monster series it is always an MSRP of $13 a stick no matter the size or shape of the stick. I think that this is very reasonable and some of the monsters in my opinion I would have paid more for just based on the cigar it self.

I think it all comes with personal preference but like most said don't collect the cigars smoke them! You could get hit buy a truck tomorrow and will be kicking your ass that you didn't at least smoke some of them. I collect the dress box when it comes down to the monster series that's it I smoke the cigars from time to time and have given more of them away then I think I have smoked. 

Paul
I agree, I collect to store and age. I've actually read that some people collect just to have them and not smoke, which i don't really see the point in, but to each their own. Often I end up sharing a good portion with friends and my dad. I enjoy smoking a cigar with others for the camaraderie.