• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Arturo Fuente Grand Resrve Maduro

Ymmit07

Well after deciding on which sun grown to try from those who suggested I chose the Fuente Chateau Fuente Sun Grown.
892182635_photobucket_73200_.jpg

The setting was sunset time although cloudy. Temp was 47*. It was quite pleasant listening to all the birds. Mainly flocks of geese and seagulls and a lot of them but pleasant none the less being in the city. This cigar was accompanied by a Coors Light (bottle) which they seemed to go well with each other.
The light up was quick, but after about the first half inch the burn went uneven and needed a touch up.
The first 1/3 had a notable earthiness with hints of spice and leather, all the while slightly creamy.
892182635_photobucket_73199_.jpg

The 2/3 still had a prominent earthiness to it with a bit more leather with little spice. What i found interesting is it had some hints of a woodsy flavor that i just couldn't pinpoint but it was a nice smooth flavor and a nice little surprise. Had to do a couple of touch ups as it seemed like to burn uneven.
892182635_photobucket_73210_.jpg

The 3/3 still had the earthiness to it with more of the woodiness and the spice came back which was a nice combination of flavor. There where still subtle hints of leather. Started to have draw issues and the wrapper wouldn't keep up with the filler.
892182635_photobucket_73209_.jpg

Overall this was a great smoke with minor issues that could be just a one off problem. The flavor was consistently mild through out the whole smoke duration. I would smoke one of these again without hesitation.
Hope you enjoy! Thanks to those who suggested this smoke!

Tim

Hard to beat a Fuente, but there are plenty of goodies around. Check out a Padron, La Flor, Cohiba to name a few. If you really want a treat, find a Hemingway (made by Fuente) Between the Lines. You may have to upgrade the Coors. :laugh:

Hard to beat a Fuente, but there are plenty of goodies around. Check out a Padron, La Flor, Cohiba to name a few. If you really want a treat, find a Hemingway (made by Fuente) Between the Lines. You may have to upgrade the Coors. :laugh:

Does Padron make a Sun Grown? Whats wrong with the Coors :p ? I change beers every so often, Corona, Grain Belt Premium, Modelo Especial & Negro.. Most beers give me a headache right away so if i find one that doesn't i tend to stick with it.

The name of the cigar is the Fuente Chateau Fuente Sun Grown. Maduro is a different wrapper, and "Gran Reserva" appears on just about every Fuente label.

The burn problems may be from smoking it shortly after purchasing. My experience has been most B&Ms keep their humidors a little high, so when I buy from them I like to keep them for a couple weeks (minimum) before I smoke them to bring the humidity down.

As far as your Padron question, the answer lies in your Shade vs Sun Grown thread. Check MoeCizlak's posts.

Whats wrong with the Coors :p ? I change beers every so often, Corona, Grain Belt Premium, Modelo Especial & Negro..

Water, Skunk piss, Brewed Essence of Vomit, Worthless and Worthless with color. That is Coors, Corona, Grain Belt (no need to lie and add the word premium), Modelo E, Modelo N. If you're not going to drink bourbon or scotch then at least hit up some guy named shelly who is on this board and knows a bit about beer! What's that guy's name again? The one that talks beer all the time? Shellysmells? Smellysell? Something like that. Any way, find his profile, read what is good on beer and then put that bottle in your next pictorial review!

The name of the cigar is the Fuente Chateau Fuente Sun Grown. Maduro is a different wrapper, and "Gran Reserva" appears on just about every Fuente label.

The burn problems may be from smoking it shortly after purchasing. My experience has been most B&Ms keep their humidors a little high, so when I buy from them I like to keep them for a couple weeks (minimum) before I smoke them to bring the humidity down.

As far as your Padron question, the answer lies in your Shade vs Sun Grown thread. Check MoeCizlak's posts.

Thanks for the Corrections and the information about the burn and letting them rest. Newbness shined there didn't it.. :D I am almost certain it was a Maduro. I know what you talking about though with the humidity being high. I was in the local shop and had never seen their humidity device go off but this time it had and i was surprised at how long and how much moisture this thing was putting out.

Yeah i am not sure how i missed " MoeCizlak's" link. Must have read it while on my phone.

Whats wrong with the Coors :p ? I change beers every so often, Corona, Grain Belt Premium, Modelo Especial & Negro..

Water, Skunk piss, Brewed Essence of Vomit, Worthless and Worthless with color. That is Coors, Corona, Grain Belt (no need to lie and add the word premium), Modelo E, Modelo N. If you're not going to drink bourbon or scotch then at least hit up some guy named shelly who is on this board and knows a bit about beer! What's that guy's name again? The one that talks beer all the time? Shellysmells? Smellysell? Something like that. Any way, find his profile, read what is good on beer and then put that bottle in your next pictorial review!

:rolleyes: hahaha call what you wish. I drink bourbon on occasion. Never tried scotch. I surely wont drink the Donkey & Gorilla piss beers especially with the chance of ruin the taste of a good cigar, I'll stick what i like.

The black band on the bottom of the cedar is how Fuente tells you it is sun grown.

The black band on the bottom of the cedar is how Fuente tells you it is sun grown.

Yeah i knew the black band referenced Sun Grown but for some reason i thought it was Maduro and that is possible cause it was a dark wrapper.. Still have a lot more learning to do to say the least. ;) Thanks for the help and corrections.

As stated...definitely not a maduro, but if you like the Fuente Sun Growns, you should try the 825 SGs. I hear they are not on par with the originals, but I can't say as I never smoked the OR. However, I find the 858 SG, to be a great example of what a Sun Grown cigar can be. Another Sun Grown which is pretty tasty, IMHO, is the Rocky Patel Sun Grown. Give them a try...both cigars have fairly reasonable price points.

I believe he is taking a jab at that Coors is poorly made with Inferior goods and how it pretty much has zero flavor and taste... that taste you can does not have the nice complexity of alot of other not mass produced swills. Beer is like cigars they can have multiply layers of flavor.

This is all just my humble opinion

Beer, or any libation comes down to personal preference...just like cigars. If you like Coors, Corona, etc...then drink it. No harm, no foul. If others don't like it...that's just more for you...

I believe he was merely attempting to extract and identify as many flavors and subtle notes from the cigar as possible, so he decided to have a bottle of water as to not ruin or taint his palate. Well done sir, well done.

Beer, or any libation comes down to personal preference...just like cigars. If you like Coors, Corona, etc...then drink it. No harm, no foul. If others don't like it...that's just more for you...

Amen Brotha!

I believe he was merely attempting to extract and identify as many flavors and subtle notes from the cigar as possible, so he decided to have a bottle of water as to not ruin or taint his palate. Well done sir, well done.

Damn your on to me! My secrets out now thanks!!! :p

I just acquired a box of these with 10+ yeara age on them and they are fantastic. Still have the pepper spice to them and they are super smooth.