• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Arturo Fuente Hemingway Between the Lines

CRQuarto

Brrraaaiiinnnsss.....
Arturo Fuente Hemingway Between the Lines
Size: 4 1/2" x 54 rg Short Perfecto
Wrapper: Connecticut Shade/Maduro
Binder: Dominican
Filler: Dominican
Strength: Mild

Well, this review was supposed to be posted on Thanksgiving day, as that is when I smoked it, but due to a hectic holiday schedule I didn't manage to post it until today. I was gifted this cigar on Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving, at the Monrovia DoubleTree herf by DesertRat and I must give a huge thank you to him! This knocks off another one of my wish list items, and I couldn't wait to fire it up. I figured, heck, it's Thanksgiving, what better way to celebrate than to smoke something rare and that is a gift!

Pre-Light

I'd have to say that the Fuentes have some of the best rollers out there, no doubt about it. Whoever they have roll these little beauties is skilled for sure, as the construction is absolutely flawless. The soft, silken dual wrappers have very little oil on them, with the cap being perfectly applied and the foot being a wonderfully executed perfecto tip. When squeezed along it's length, there is a light crunch in the fingertips, with a good springy feel to the cigar.

Draw & Burn

I decided to clip the head, as several of the Short Stories I have smoked have been a bit on the tight side when punched. Once cut, I found a perfect cold draw that, once lit, stayed consistent throughout the duration of the cigar. The burn was good save for a brief run that once corrected did not return. The ash was a nice solid light gray, and held on strong until halfway through the smoke when it dropped into my lap. Dang!
biggrin.gif
Before the ash dropped, I noticed that I could actually see the transition of the wrappers in the ash, which I found pretty neat.

Flavor Profile

The cold draw was my first indicator of a delicious smoke ahead of me, as it carried on it a rich tobacco flavor with a hint of maduro sweetness. Once lit, the tiny perfecto foot was a very simple in flavor, featuring a soft tobacco and cocoa flavor, however once the burn reached the widest part of the bulbous end, the flavor profile jumped out at me. Complexity grew, becoming ripe with milk chocolate, vanilla bean, coffee, and that oh so good maduro sweetness. I was surprised at the nice peppery finish in the mouth and nose, finding it very, very pleasing.

Overall Impression

Perhaps the hype and rarity factors played into my enjoying this cigar as much as I did, but who cares!
biggrin.gif
This little smoke was an absolute treat, and a perfect morning smoke. The flavors were spot on, rich, creamy and outright delicious. The body of the smoke itself was full and creamy, with the cigar producing huge, billowing clouds of delightfully sweet smoke. At $14 a cigar, these would be tough to drop the coin on in box quantities, but I will certainly be looking to keep a fiver on hand for special occasions. Thank you again Danny for the chance to smoke a well known rarity, and for knocking one off of my list!
thumbs-up.gif

DSC_2333.jpg

DSC_2334.jpg

DSC_2339.jpg

DSC_2336.jpg

DSC_2348.jpg

DSC_2350.jpg

DSC_2358.jpg

Nice review, and nice pictures! You've got some decent skill with an SLR.

I've actually only smoked one BTL and thought it was a very good smoke. Excellent review Charles!

Great review Charles! Looks like you had a great Thanksgiving. I've got a stupid head cold which has stopped me from enjoying the last moderately warm week I think we'll have. Oh well. I'll enjoy them vicariously through you! :D

Thanks for the review. I have one of these in the humi and I haven't lit it up yet b/c it looks so cool!

Very nice review. Thanks for sharing! I enjoy BTLs and at $8 or $9 per I would buy the heck out of them (when available of course). As you mention though, the price for what you get is a bit hefty. Overall the BTL is a quality and very well-constructed cigar.

Nice review bro :thumbs: Can I ask what camera the pic's were taken with, they are NICE.

Nice review bro
thumbs-up.gif
Can I ask what camera the pic's were taken with, they are NICE.

A Nikon D40 sir, they have them on sale at Costco right now I believe. I love this camera! :D

Thank you for the kind words everyone!

Great review Charles, you captured your thoughts perfectly. Glad to see you enjoyed the experience as I personally enjoy the Hemingway line from Fuente...with the Signature being my favorite.

I have found the BTLs to be a bit inconsistent since they were first released, to me at least. For way less money in that category, I'll smoke a Short Story/Best Seller/WoA natural any day.

That settles it for me. I am going to go buy one tonight and let it rest for a bit then light it up. Great review, great looking smoke.

A beautiful looking cigar...always wanted to try one of these, but have never found any at a price point where I was willing to pull the trigger...

I grabbed a box of these, i agree, the flavors were spot on to what made
this cigar famous.

I have to agree. That is a very fine cigar. It really does have very full, thick smoke. Sounds like you enjoyed it as much as I did. Very well done review as well.

BTW it's my understanding that they have only one person that rolls these twice a year. I read that somewhere when I was researching these a while back.
I just burried a box of these at the bottom of my humi. We'll see what a little age does to them.