• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ashton VSG Robusto

AdvAutoBob

No catchy member title yet...
Ashton VSG Robusto, 5-1/2 x 50.
Wrapper - Ecuadorian dark
Filler- Dominican
Binder - Dominican
Other notes - box pressed

Found some of these at a local shop while on our "inaugural cycle/smokeshop tour" of our local area..bought two, one to try, one to age (if I can hold out that long!)Price wasn't too awful bad ($11.00 ea). After this, I'm going back to pick up a couple more. :love:

Smoked this with a caffe mocha coffee drink at our local BAM (they have an outside patio for smokers). The coffee really accentuated the overall flavor.

The initial impression is a fine earthy type of cigar (prelight smell was very earthy and "full"), the wrapper had a slight oily texture, no soft spots or any defects that my newbie eyes and fingers could find. I used a bullet punch to open the cap, and it punched with little effort. This method is fast becoming my favorite.
Draw was perfect, not too loose, or too tight. I'm not certain if the box pressing helped the draw or not, but it was perfect for me. I toasted the foot for about 15 seconds, and it lit right up with no touchup at all. What I was immediately impressed with was the smoothness of draw and smoke...not like the inital hotness of other sticks I've lit.
The first half was dominated by an almost dark chocolate/leather flavor, and absolutely smooth and creamy,(did I mention how smooth this stick was? lol), a treat to behold. The finish was long and chewy. Burn was even, with no tunneling or hot spots, with a long tight ash.
The second half was equally as good, with the flavor turning more woody, but still creamy with hints of leather. All in all, a wonderful experience that lasted about 50 minutes or so (didn't keep track, but it was just under an hour).

Anyhow, this is my first CP review, so if there's anything I left out, comments/complaints, let me know... I've got a pretty thick skin. :D

Robert

Great review. No comments from my end...a review is all subjective..completely up to you to tell us what you want about your experience! :). That's the fun of it. I'm really glad you enjoyed this cigar, I'm looking forward to trying one in a few weeks. Hope I enjoy mine as much as you enjoyed yours. Cheers.

Jason

Fabulous review Robert!

All I look for when I read a review is:
1. Tells me how the cigar impressed itself on you. Good, bad, blah?
2. What sort of setting and accompaniments you had with the cigar.
3. A little information about the appearance and mechanics of the burn.
4. Anything else you found fun or educational.

By the above criteria, you did a bang up job!

Welcome and nicely done.

Wilkey

BTW, if you like the Robusto (I do to. I'm almost done with my first box of these) you should give the small Tres Mystique size a spin.

Very nice write up job! First review you say, could have fooled me. Sounds like quite an enjoyable stick that I haven't had a chance to try out yet. Now it seems I will have to give it a twirl. :p

This was the first cigar that I really "got into" when I started this hobby. I like the VSG line a lot, until my retailer jacked the prices up. He wants $15 apiece for these now. As much as I like VSG, I don't think they are worth $15.

Nice review.

Received one of these in a recent trade.(Thanks Bob) I smoked it last night and it's exactly as reviewed here IMHO. Nice job on the review, great smoke. Another new favorite for me.

I was given the Spellbound by my co worker yesterday. He parks cars at a high end restaurant here and was given one with his tip. He doesn't smoke so it came my way. :) I'm letting it rest a couple of months and then.... :rolleyes:

Good review!

I agree with Wilkey, give the Tres Mystique a spin.

Brian

I love the VSG Belicoso. The VSG line may be pricey in your location. I found them comparable to any other premium cigar

Fabulous review Robert!

All I look for when I read a review is:
1. Tells me how the cigar impressed itself on you. Good, bad, blah?
2. What sort of setting and accompaniments you had with the cigar.
3. A little information about the appearance and mechanics of the burn.
4. Anything else you found fun or educational.

By the above criteria, you did a bang up job!

Welcome and nicely done.

Wilkey

BTW, if you like the Robusto (I do to. I'm almost done with my first box of these) you should give the small Tres Mystique size a spin.

Tre Mystique are awesome! Smoked one of my five tonight,the best of the bunch so far.I do have a Wizard (thanks to befreebern)still to try out yet. :D

Edit:Forgot to tell ya great review!

Great review!

I'm in love with the entire VSG line but I must say that the Enchantment is my favorite

A little update....

Since this review, I've tried (quite a few of) the following:

Illusion
Tres Mystique (awesome little smoke, just as was said here)
Corona Gorda
Enchantment (my current fave of the VSG line)
Sorcerer
Belicoso #1 (only one of these so far)
Torpedo (same as above)

I have yet to find a Wizard or Spellbound, not for the lack of looking, tho!

The VSG line is most impressive.. it's hard to age them, they're so good right out of the box. :love: They're rapidly becoming my "go-to" sticks, along with Padron 64 Exclusivos (similar taste profile to me, but slightly mellower).

Thanks to all you BOTL's for the different suggestions, etc. This truly is a great board!

Robert

Thanks to all you BOTL's for the different suggestions, etc. This truly is a great board!

Robert

Glad to hear that you have found a new favorite after seeking the advice of the BOTL's here at CP. The Enchantment and Tres Mystique are favorites of mine as well. Enjoy the journey, that's what it's all about!

Nice review man! I've grown partial to the Sourcerer VSG's myself! :thumbs: