• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ashtray Identification

TexasTraveler

I'm kind of a big deal
I am newbie to the cigar world, only been smoking for about a year... But I came across this ashtray that I thought was unusual at a local estate sale, so I picked it up. I have searched the internet and haven't found anything similar, so I was wondering if any of you have seen a similar ashtray or know any information about this style of ashtray. Thanks in advance...

Aaron

Attachments

• Ashtray 1.jpg
    Ashtray 1.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Ashtray 2.jpg
    Ashtray 2.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Ashtray 3.jpg
    Ashtray 3.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 24
It looks like a triangle shaped ice maker grid attached to a bowl (of some sort lol) to use for cigars.

A couple places I worked when I was a kid made their own square ice, and each one had a square wire grid that heated up after the block of ice above it was frozen to cut it into small cubes. Then we would scoop into a bag and sell it. Or into a 5 gallon bucket for the pop machine to serve it. But it looks just like that grid only square.

Hard part about wrapping my head around it as a ashtray is no place to rest the cigar or the cigarette other than setting on the edge. Not that it wouldnt work, just that you would think it would have it.

It looks like a triangle shaped ice maker grid attached to a bowl (of some sort lol) to use for cigars.

A couple places I worked when I was a kid made their own square ice, and each one had a square wire grid that heated up after the block of ice above it was frozen to cut it into small cubes. Then we would scoop into a bag and sell it. Or into a 5 gallon bucket for the pop machine to serve it. But it looks just like that grid only square.

Hard part about wrapping my head around it as a ashtray is no place to rest the cigar or the cigarette other than setting on the edge. Not that it wouldnt work, just that you would think it would have it.
Yes I know exactly what your talking about, on the ice cutter portion of an ice maker... I have done some more searching and all I can gather is this style of ashtray was made sometime between 1920's and 1960's. I have found a couple of pictures of other similar ashtrays doing an image search. From what I can gather the wire is used to cut your ash with and I can only assume that you rest the cigar over the wires with just the unlit end hanging off...

Attachments

• Leather Ashtray 1.jpg
    Leather Ashtray 1.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Leather Ashtray 2.jpg
    Leather Ashtray 2.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Wire Ashtray 1.jpg
    Wire Ashtray 1.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Wire Ashtray 2.jpg
    Wire Ashtray 2.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 4
each of us has an opinion. Some folks like to let their ash grow. I see the wires as an early attempt to not gather the ash. But like your current cigar, if ya like it, then like it. Being old and with the heebee geebees I need more of foot to rest my stick.

My early-morning brain read this as "ashtray humidification", and I thought that you guys are just taking this wayyyy too far, now. 🤣

That's an interesting piece, though. Nice research.