• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ashtrays - OK to sell here?

handyman dave

Newbie - Still old but not dead yet!
Well folks, I have been talking with Rod about selling these here. He says it is OK with him.

The only problem I see is the notion that we are not to make money off of each other with stuff we sell here. I know there has been some profiteering by some in the past and I want to steer clear of that trap. However, I make my living with my hands. These could be a nice little sideline for me, a profit-making venture, hopefully! But, I need to make a living with the product of my hands. :blush:

To make my shop rate these would have to start about $70 + shipping and for really extraordinary (expensive) material they could easily go significantly over $100. This seems like a good bit of money to me. :0 However, when I see mass-produced ceramic and glass ashtrays selling in this price range and more, it doesn't seem outrageous for a hand-sculpted, one of a kind piece. (At least to my mind.)

I am preparing to make a group of these which then I would offer for sale to whomever is interested, so you would know exactly which one you are buying. I have secured some more "interesting" material that should make some really striking pieces.

So, I am seeking the feeling of the group. Is this appropriate for me to do on CP?

If so should I do it in the BST forum or in the Retailer Forum?

If not, I will go and setup on Ebay. :( I'd rather just offer these here but if necessary I will go there.

I am really enjoying this place and everyone here, and I don't want to f**k it up by doing something that will bring ill-repute or hard feelings. I would rather forgo the small amount of income involved and forget about it rather than screw up relationships here.

Thanks for your input, everyone!

A copy of this is also posted on the other ashtray postings I have here.

Depending on the price, I might be interested. The last piece I saw that you posted was awesome. :)

I would suggest the retailers forum and do a search on clocks to avoid the pitfalls of others.

Doc.

So long as it's not for profit... you should be compensated for your materials and time, though.

Good luck with it.

Huh? Well of course Dave is going to make a profit??? After all it is Dave's profession, he pays his bills, and buys cigars with those profits. Just as the cigar retailers who frequent this forum make a profit on the sale of cigars. I don't think anyone expects Dave to do otherwise. In my opinion if:
  1. Dave does not gouge anyone
  2. Rod has given you his blessings
  3. And it is kept in the retailer forum
It should be fine. :thumbs:

I agree with Brew. We really couldn't expect someone like, say Boswell, to come here and only charge for labor/materials.

If that's what he does for a living, I see nothing wrong with it.

Huh? Well of course Dave is going to make a profit??? After all it is Dave's profession, he pays his bills, and buys cigars with those profits. Just as the cigar retailers who frequent this forum make a profit on the sale of cigars. I don't think anyone expects Dave to do otherwise. In my opinion if:

x2
:thumbs:

Pick a 'hat', Dave.

CP member or CP Retailer?

If you can pull off BOTH....you'd be among a select few.

Good Luck.

Dave those are beautiful and I can picture one sitting on top of my humis.

As for your selling here I think you have your answer from Rod. This is not different that Bob or Viper participating on this site. Or other retailers who participate.

You should be paid for your work.

Just keep your retail posts (and business) separate from "cigar hobby" posts and you will be fine.

The issue with profiteering comes about when someone tries to take advantage of another person or situation beasue of benefit they recieved from another BOTL (i.e., selling gifted cigars).

Good Luck and keep us posted.

ps.....would you take requests to match wood from someone's humi???

X3.

X3.

I concur :thumbs:

P.S. Put me on the prospective buyer list. :cool:

Although I have not been here as long as some of the other members I personally see nothing wrong with it. Actually I really liked some of the pieces you have completed and was quite impressed. I would think you would have no problem selling them here. Owning a 1 off like what you made would be awesome. :)

Go for it. Post it in the BST. :thumbs:

X4.

Just don't ask for wood donations that get made into ash trays and sold back to CP members, and you should be fine..... :whistling:

Refer to Doc's post and you'll get the drift.

Good luck - B.B.S.

Pick a 'hat', Dave.

CP member or CP Retailer?

If you can pull off BOTH....you'd be among a select few.

Good Luck.

Not so select. I can think of six just off the top of my head, but all are cigar vendors who have chosen to participate in the community as well as to offer the best deals they can. Doc refers to The Volusianator. While he has talent with cabinetry, he tried to sell something that just about anyone can make. Price was high for the work involved. The ashtrays are unique and require skill and talent. Charge a fair price, Dave.

I think this would be a great contribution Dave. Those trays are pretty sick! IMHO...If I had the extra cash, I would not mind sending a few extra bucks your way for one, and I don't think many would have a problem either, as long as you keep to the guidance the above posts have suggested.. :thumbs:

~Billy

x5. Although I do not know Dave extremely well on a personal level, I have bought for him in the past. The most striking thing is my interaction with him was his attitude. What a fanatastic BOTL, all communications were prompt and end with "blessings". Rest assured that he will sell his beautiful wares at a fair price.

I can't wait to see what you come up with. It's always special to have something unique that no body else can have.

X4.

Just don't ask for wood donations that get made into ash trays and sold back to CP members, and you should be fine..... :whistling:

Refer to Doc's post and you'll get the drift.

Good luck - B.B.S.

Ditto, as to all points as well.