• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

ATTN: ALL MEMBERS, NEW & OLD

Someone want to translate Wilkey's post for me? :D
Ok, I'll give it a try. The post counter ain't the problem. Fixating on that is a wild goose chase. Our community does a damn good job of policing its own.

I'm with Kirk on this. Not only is it "ain't broke," deleting/masking post count, join date, and member number (and if we're going to do one, we do 'em all is my point) isn't going to make anything better. At least the case hasn't been made as far as I'm concerned.

Of course, you do what you must. Consider what we have to say but your ultimately you have to make peace with your decision and its ramifications.

I am convinced that no matter the course of action on which you decide, the community will persist as it has. The reason I believe this is because I don't consider this a material change either for ill or well.

Wilkey

For me, most of the time no. However there are times when it does seem to be helpful. I jump in and check things out, but don't have my fingers on the pulse of the board anymore. I have used the post counter to compare when someone has joined CP and what their post count is; it seems to be a good measure of people full of hot air or just like to hear themselves post. I have also found it helpful when looking at a person's profile and seeing that 54% of their posts are in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum.

Just my $.02
I'm with Cory on this one. Perhaps a better question would be - What real benefit would there be in removing post count?

A lot of guys do contests based on post count, so eliminating the counter would also eliminate these contests.

I'm sure we'll survive either way, but I don't see any concrete benefit to a change.

One man's opinion - B.B.S.

I knew my ears were burning for a reason and now I know why.

Oh wait, that didn't contribute anything worthwhile to the forum.

Never mind.

I am just a few days short of my one year anniversary. What this qualifies me as, well, that is up to you. In my humble opinion, the post counter is a tool that needs to be used in certain situations. I am able to check the board every few days, but sometimes have to go a month or so between logging on, due to work taking up much of my free time.

I have on occasion, logged in to find a new name, with an old "join date". This could be one of two senerios.

1. This member for whatever reason, was and is a respected member of the community, and in considering a trade with such person, I would do less snooping to ensure they are on the up and up. They just haven't been able to log in for quite a while, hence, the name is new to me.

2. I have come across a couple members in the B/S/T forum that have early join dates, however, have contributed very little to the board. Whether they read more, post less, or they joined long ago, but want to jump in with a pass or sale of premium sticks without knowing board etiquite, the post counter helps me gauge how deep to investigate before agreeing to the deal.

I understand that there is much post padding that occurs, and that the number in it self does not make one trustworthy, but I find it valuable nonetheless.

I even use it so far as to know if the member is just an attention whore. i.e tick tock with 2000 post in two months.

Oh, and I wouldn't say that I read more, post less with my low post count after a year, but sincerely wish that others would follow my way of thinking, and not shoot off with their dribble from the mouth because they have been here for a total of 40 days, 39 days more than the new guy. emoticon to draw attention to me ----------> :whistling:

We all know if Rod removes the post counter, there will be no need for people to post strickly to increase it's number. It's done everyday. You all know who you are. And you all know why you do it.

DOWN WITH POST PADDING :sign:

I could care less about whether the post counter stays or goes.

I think the forum is fine the way it is now, however.

As for point 2, junk-posters no matter how whorish eventually fade because people will stop paying attention to them. Take a look at the list of top posters. Are there any active members on that top 20 who are not considered contributing, solid members with worthwhile things to say?

IMO this statement sums up the argument about the post counter.

A respected member with 150 posts is a respected member, and an ass hat with 4,125 posts is still an ass hat. Making post count visible or invisible doesn't change that.

I like the way things are set up all around, we just need to do a better job of policing things up ourselves.

As for point 2, junk-posters no matter how whorish eventually fade because people will stop paying attention to them. Take a look at the list of top posters. Are there any active members on that top 20 who are not considered contributing, solid members with worthwhile things to say?

IMO this statement sums up the argument about the post counter.

A respected member with 150 posts is a respected member, and an ass hat with 4,125 posts is still an ass hat. Making post count visible or invisible doesn't change that.

I like the way things are set up all around, we just need to do a better job of policing things up ourselves.

Agreed. We do a good job of policing ourselves most of the time. Maybe we should all just be a little more coherant of our own actions. On a side note, it is kind of ironic that at the time I read this, Wyatt was at 4125 posts!! :whistling:

No Quotes - No Pics - No Emoticons - Just a comment from a "newb" due to a short length of time as a member and a "low post count". I as a newb, do think that the post count is a valuable tool if nothing more than to let other members know that the person taking the floor for that particular section of a scrolled down page content does have some experience at or least has taken some time to "post" comments during their membership to CP. It takes no fool to understand that the post count was originated as a "respect tool" for the FOGs and longtime members to be looked up to by the newbs. But as stated it is up to everyone to police the posts these days for valid content and as to the seriousness of comments made. Should a post stating "Welcome from Nor Cal" count as a post for post count? Or should it somehow be determined for actual CIGAR comments or really helping another member with a question they may have??? It seems that CP has approximately 50% usable content these days, and 50% of hmmmm to keep it clean- Cigar smoke?
Perhaps if the post count was removed and a "rating system" that was voted on by readers was installed so that if a read worthy helpful comment was appreciated by readers it would show as points on the members profile and would at least help readers identify good usable content contributors. I'm quite sure there would still be the same amount of bs, but at least it would be easier to sift through. Anyways we've used four pages of posts and not one pertaining to Cigar Info-
Still feeling good from Casa Fuente- Dan

Rod,

Happy B'Day!!! (belated, I know).

As a "low post count" member here, I am proud of the relatively low number of posts I have made here in the last year or so. I took the "read more, post less" admonitions of the FOG's quite seriously. Plus, I just have not had the time to spend here that I hoped when I joined. That will change.

Please keep the post count feature. When I see someone who joined a few months ago with as many posts as a 4-year FOG, I know what the score is. When I see a FOG with nearly the same number of posts as I have, I also know what that score is.

Cheers,
antaean

As a relitively new member at just under a year I rely on join date and to an extent post count. Frankly, I don't have enough extra brain cells to memorize a list of FOGs, Tweeners and Newbies. I have had a number of transactions in the BST and run a pass. All of that would have been tougher, and possibly not worth the effort if I had to search past posts or my feeble brain to determine if the person was safe to do business with. I spend enough time on this board, that I recognize the active good guys, but how many new guys show up every day, and as we've seen in the last couple of weeks, some of them can step right up and be a part of this community.

If we do away with the counter, and or the Join Date, I forsee lots of "useless" posts asking for and recieving refrences. Many of us know Freebern, but if you were new here, would you feel comfortable sending your end first to a man wearing a tiara?

Newbies with a low post count don't get an opinion... :laugh:

Instead of implementing unnecessary changes that will change the functionality of the forum, why don't the usual suspects simply respect Rod's wishes?

Locking threads is a poor "fix" - there are legitimate needs for resurrecting older threads - posting updates on asshats/situations gone bad, updating cigar reference threads, "topping" core informational threads for reference, unique cigar reviews, etc.

Well-stated, MMM. I for one plan to stop posting pictures (however amusing) to make a statement. There's no need to crack down on the features offered here, just need to man-up and respect our host's wishes.

Oh, and I'd support eliminating the post counter entirely as well. I can see no point to it (and no, contests isn't a point ;) ).

I for one plan to stop posting pictures (however amusing) to make a statement.

Retiring the ol' quarter, eh???

BTW, I DO NOT plan on stopping the posting of pictures, however amusing, to make a point. Without them I am just a normal everyday run of the mill wingnut. You know, kinda like I am in real life and not on the computer. ;)

As Yogi Bera used to say, " Si fractum non sit, noli id refrecere." Nuff said.

Doc.

As Yogi Bera used to say, " Si fractum non sit, noli id refrecere." Nuff said.

Doc.

I admit, I admit, even as well rounded and educated as I believe I am, I had to google that one. Boy, you sure know how to deflate a person's ego. :rolleyes:

nutsack-vi.jpg

A most unfortunate birthmark.