• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Australian Customs have spanked me!

saltypete

I recently ordered a box of cigars and a couple of fivers from an American retailer. I realised that I would probably have to pay tax upon bringing them into Australia.....I didn't realise how much. The cigars cost me about $200 AUD, postage was $40 and I got a letter today with a tax bill of $280 AUD. I am only marginally better (about $1.00 per stick) buying cigars this way. It's a pity as I thought I'd found a way to increase my cigar collection that was less prohibitive than buying here in OZ but I guess you can't get a good cigar for under $15 in this country. I've sure learned a lesson.

Wow! What a BUMMER!! :angry:
I guess that some of us need to count our many blessings. :blush: No matter how put-upon we may feel at times regarding our passion with cigars, those of us in the US really have it pretty good, even with the embargo. ;)

I recently ordered a box of cigars and a couple of fivers from an American retailer. I realised that I would probably have to pay tax upon bringing them into Australia.....I didn't realise how much. The cigars cost me about $200 AUD, postage was $40 and I got a letter today with a tax bill of $280 AUD. I am only marginally better (about $1.00 per stick) buying cigars this way. It's a pity as I thought I'd found a way to increase my cigar collection that was less prohibitive than buying here in OZ but I guess you can't get a good cigar for under $15 in this country. I've sure learned a lesson.

Mate
The most I have ever been charged on a box was 100 with GST
You may want to ask them to open the packaging and recalculate the duty bro, it sounds like they have over charged you.

I've sent an e mail to customs and I will phone them in the morning and query that charge. I could live with paying $100 a box and I'd sure love to keep buying cigars that I can"t get here. Thanks for the advice anvil.

I've sent an e mail to customs and I will phone them in the morning and query that charge. I could live with paying $100 a box and I'd sure love to keep buying cigars that I can"t get here. Thanks for the advice anvil.

You will have to do it in writing mate.
I know from experience LOL :D

I love living in Pakistan! I can bring in a suitcase full of cigars and Customs just waives me through.. sorry but I guess it pays to live in an under developed nation

How does duty work with "gifted" boxes of cigars?

How does duty work with "gifted" boxes of cigars?

It don't make any difference if they are purchased,gifted or won.. We pay
Although I have had more packages get past Customs that have not. It all comes down to who is working I guess. I have even had packages opened,checked then sealed up with Customs tape and sent to me with no charge.
But then the Bastid's got me for $25 dollars on 5 Greycliffe lanceros plus a single perfecto.

Update: I have contacted Australian Customs and they say they will recheck the weight of the cigars. I am not hopeful, as I am dealing with the governement but we'll see.

Pete

Update: I have contacted Australian Customs and they say they will recheck the weight of the cigars. I am not hopeful, as I am dealing with the governement but we'll see.

Pete

So the tax is levied based on weight, not value? How unfortunately shrewd of them.

Yep the value of the cigars does not matter, you will be charged the same rate on a box of Acids as a box of Opus Xs. The rate is approx $310 AUD per kilo of tobaccco plus Goods and Services Tax (GST).

Pete

Yep the value of the cigars does not matter, you will be charged the same rate on a box of Acids as a box of Opus Xs.

Please tell me it was the latter :laugh: The acids are not worth it! Turn back now!

Yep the value of the cigars does not matter, you will be charged the same rate on a box of Acids as a box of Opus Xs.

Please tell me it was the latter :laugh: The acids are not worth it! Turn back now!

:laugh: Actually it was a box of Camacho Coyolar Titans. I don't think we get Acids down here, thats an upside to the whole situation!

Pete

Yep the value of the cigars does not matter, you will be charged the same rate on a box of Acids as a box of Opus Xs. The rate is approx $310 AUD per kilo of tobaccco plus Goods and Services Tax (GST).

Pete

Wow.. that has gone up again...

Risky risky. Dave (Anvil) is right though. What usually happens is they take one cigar out the box, weigh it, and times by the amount in the box. Packaging is not factored in, and I think they may have tried to include that with the weigh in, sneaky sods.

Australia wants its tobacco tax revenue, and they don't want us sneaking something in the country that could be making them some money. The average RRP of a cigar down here is abysmal because of this. $30 per stick.. that is too much.

$30 per. Wow.

Hypothetically speaking, of course, could a person (not a business) mail you a box containing a few t-shirts with your cigars wrapped inside of them and just have t-shirts indicated on the packing slip, or do they x-ray and/or open every international package?

Customs are pretty hot down here, I've been told that sometimes cigars get through, other times not. My cousin who lives in London got JJ Fox to send me a couple of sticks last year and although customs opened the package I was not charged any duty. However this latest purchase was taxed. The package arrived this morning and I weighed all 35 cigars without the packaging. The weight was 725 grams and I was charged for 800 grams so they got it wrong but not by much. In future I will limit my purchases to a couple of 5ers per time and see how that works out.

As far as wrapping some sticks in shirts etc, again they might get through, but if they do find the cigars you have to pay duty even if it is a gift.

Pete

That little difference in weight still would be a lot of difference in money. I am glad you got them to re-weigh it.

Privately sent packages slip by more than a package with: Famous Smoke Shop written on it, obviously. Check out the Trade section of this site, and see if you can pick some favourites up from your fellow BOTL. Cheaper and higher chance you won't get detected.

That little difference in weight still would be a lot of difference in money. I am glad you got them to re-weigh it.

Privately sent packages slip by more than a package with: Famous Smoke Shop written on it, obviously. Check out the Trade section of this site, and see if you can pick some favourites up from your fellow BOTL. Cheaper and higher chance you won't get detected.

Its hit and miss mates
I have had more packages from FSS get past than get caught. One package that got past had 4 boxes and three fivers in it..So go figure.