• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Robbmt

Thermal UP!!!!!!
Went to see the late show last night.
It's like Dances with wolves only in an alternate reality.

The charachters are believable and the effects ROCK! See it in 3-D!!!!

Having only read reviews and articles about it before yesterday, I was a little skeptical about "Dances With Aliens." :whistling:

Then I watched a couple of the trailers online.

Oh. Ye. Gods. And. Ancestors. :love: :love: :love:

It's only seldom that I make the time or effort to see a movie on the BIG screen instead of waiting for it to show up on Netflix (after all, I have a pretty darn big screen and surround sound at home) but this one is just screaming to be watched 30 feet tall and 3D. :thumbs:

~Boar

Dances with Aliens?

Okay, you sold me. I'd wanted to see it. I wasn't prepared to commit to going out to see it but I can't argue with Dances with Aliens. Just cashed in a $14.00 promo code for Fandango for a 10:45 3D showing tonight in Harvard Square. (good grief...when did movie tickets get to expensive?)

If it's not good, though, I'll be shaking my frostbitten fist at you!

My kids and I are waiting for the real Avatar movie to come out in 2010 that has M. Night Shyamalan as its director

But this movie contains " intense warfare, sensuality, profanity and smoking. "

four of my favorite things!

But this movie contains " intense warfare, sensuality, profanity and smoking. "

four of my favorite things!

I wouldn't know a thing about this

Highlight hint below
(<--------------- see my avatar posted in August)

If this snow clears out of here over night and our road gets plowed, I wouldn't mind taking my wife to see this tomorrow at the theater. The previews did look incredible. I wonder if we would get a discount if we painted our faces blue? :laugh:

This is the first movie I've seen in a while that I'd say is actually good. Outstandingly good!

Dances with Aliens?

Okay, you sold me. I'd wanted to see it. I wasn't prepared to commit to going out to see it but I can't argue with Dances with Aliens. Just cashed in a $14.00 promo code for Fandango for a 10:45 3D showing tonight in Harvard Square. (good grief...when did movie tickets get to expensive?)

This is why I only go to the movies on Sunday... with soda and treats stuffed into wifey's bag. Of course, after having kids, I now see an average of 2.5 movies a year.

This is one of those movies. I'm telling you. It is that freaking cool that you need the full theatrical size screen and and sound and 3-D.

This year, at the movies, I saw:

Star trek
Wolverine

As you can see, I reserve going to the theater for bigger than life action movies. Avatar is definitely on a whole new level.

Dances with Aliens?

This is why I only go to the movies on Sunday... with soda and treats stuffed into wifey's bag. Of course, after having kids, I now see an average of 2.5 movies a year.

It's why we use Redbox every weekend.

I got dragged to this yesterday. I thought it was pretty ho hum. The story is unoriginal (especially to those familiar with the Sci-Fi genre), the dialogue was just a step above the Star Wars prequels, and the effects didn't seem all that ground breaking when viewed at a regular theater. It was far too long.

Maybe it's because I didn't see it in 3D. If you have to see it in 3D to really enjoy it, I wouldn't say it's a good movie. I'd call it more of an "experience" kind of event if that's the case.

If that's what you want, that's great. I want a good story brought to life on the screen and AVATAR was missing a key ingredient in that regard.

Just my opinion.

Finally made it to a showing this afternoon---cheated a bit and watched it, blurrily, on a bootleg site yesterday and knew I just had to see it BIG and IN FOCUS. :rolleyes:

Storyline held up to a second viewing. Yes, it's clearly been done many, many times before, "Dances With Wolves" being the obvious example, but . . . it's a timeless and resonant storyline. And this is a nice take on it, with some fresh layers and twists.

Saw it in regular ol' 2D after a bit of online research. I wear bifocals and have red-green color vision deficencies, and wasn't sure 3D would work for me. Didn't matter, movie's awe-inspiring in 2D, and although you can tell which bits were meant to blow you away in 3D, they still blow you away in 2D. Literally cannot tell, in any frame, where CGI stops and live action begins. Seamless, and the CGI world of Pandora, where the story takes place, is insanely detailed, hyper-realistic, and utterly alien.

Didn't even notice how long the movie was until I checked my watch on the way out. Sucked me into its world that completely.

Next weekend I'm probably going to give the 3D version a shot, just to see if it WILL work for me. Some of those aerial scenes are going to be more than worth the price of admission if it works.

~Boar

My kids and I are waiting for the real Avatar movie to come out in 2010 that has M. Night Shyamalan as its director

I saw the trailer for that recently. Can't wait either, and I don't even have kids. :blush:

~Boar

Took the wife to see it in 3D and we may go back and do it again. Already over a $BILLION worldwide!

The 3D works by horizontal and vertical light polarization and not by the old red-green offset method.

Saw it in regular ol' 2D after a bit of online research. I wear bifocals and have red-green color vision deficiencies, and wasn't sure 3D would work for me.
~Boar

I saw it on Friday and was blown away. Yes the story has been told a few times but never like this. I think it was taken to a new depth, and being as visually stunning as it was I felt completely immersed. Will see again for sure.

Edit: grammar

The 3D works by horizontal and vertical light polarization and not by the old red-green offset method.

Saw it in regular ol' 2D after a bit of online research. I wear bifocals and have red-green color vision deficiencies, and wasn't sure 3D would work for me.
~Boar

Yes, I'm much more concerned about presbyopia/focal length and whether or not their glasses will fit over my glasses. The tech reviews and viewer feedback I found indicated it could be a problem . . . but, worst case scenario, I could probably just get them to swap my ticket and watch the 2D version again.

~Boar