• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Awkward situation

I don't do diplomatic relations with assholes. What are they going to give you in exchange for you not smoking on your deck? Cutting the grass only once per week say on Fridays at 11am?

I'd tell him to go piss up a rope.

Ron

I just had my stinky, yard smoke dog rocket...... :D

and the smoke went into the right direction

I'm sure that alot of the advice given here was given tongue in cheek. At least I hope so. In my neck of the woods neighbor squables such as these often end up in tragedy. Diplomacy is always the best course.

Doc.

Damn neighbors. Can't live with them and ya can't shoot them.

If that happened where I live that would suck ass. My neighbor is my wife's boss. :whistling:

You also might want to clue them into the fact that your psychiatrist recommended you find a soothing and relaxing way of reducing your stress because he was concerned about your emotional state - and smoking an occasional cigar is it for you. Otherwise it's back to cleaning firearms... And drop this line as you wrap up your conversation - "Oh, and by the way - not to change the subject - but I just read that firearms kill more people each year than second hand smoke!"

Oh, thats EVIL. I love it!

You also might want to clue them into the fact that your psychiatrist recommended you find a soothing and relaxing way of reducing your stress because he was concerned about your emotional state - and smoking an occasional cigar is it for you. Otherwise it's back to cleaning firearms... And drop this line as you wrap up your conversation - "Oh, and by the way - not to change the subject - but I just read that firearms kill more people each year than second hand smoke!"

Oh, thats EVIL. I love it!

That is pretty evil, isn't it? LOL

Well, when I am approached and knowing them the way I do, I have every reason to believe that I will be approached, I will take a semi-diplomatic route in listening to the dribble they offer.

Trying to be the better person, sometimes, well sucks.

:sign:

So stay tuned.........

Who leave their back door open when they're not at home? Tell them for security reasons to shut their door. You are looking out for their best interests of course.
Otherwise, your house, your rules. Your immediate neighbors don't care and that's all there is to it.

Who leave their back door open when they're not at home? Tell them for security reasons to shut their door. You are looking out for their best interests of course.
Otherwise, your house, your rules. Your immediate neighbors don't care and that's all there is to it.

Our townhouses are graded in such a way where we actually have walk-out basements and our decks are above ground. They do not have stairs, so security is "ok". I still wouldn't tempt fate like that. Leaving anything unsecured is asking for trouble.

My immediate neighbors and I get along fantastic. We know each other well enough where they can ask me to curb a little, without offense. On my side, I try to show them enough respect and courtesy to see if they have their patio door open or if they are outside. They do not have their patio door open long or often. However, they are not asking me to NOT smoke at all. Big difference.

I wouldn't worry too much about it... it's your house and smoking cigars is legal (for now! LOL). If they don't like it they can shut their door.

Round 1 has commenced. Asshat had his wife do his dirty work. She caught me outside when I was finishing up on topping off the bird feeders. I know they've been waiting because I happened to be smoking a Arturo Fuente Double Chateau. Very good too.

She asked if she could talk to me and I knew what was coming. Oh, she was sweet as pie about it too, which I figure she would be.

She goes "I don't know if you realize or not, but your cigar smoke comes into our house and I know it's difficult because you enjoy it." And she stops it right there. My reply, because she was nice about it (I give her that much), "oh really? Didn't know that. Well, if I happen to see you out on your deck, I will see what I can do"

She left on that note, but I don't think she comprehended what I was proposing to do. I believe she heard what she wanted to hear and not hear what I actually said. This will become interesting as I have no doubt that I will be confronted again. They are going to try and twist it like I am being an unreasonable asshole.

Round 2 coming up. Today, I have a Perdomo Reserve Champagne "X" on deck, one of my favorites.

Stay tuned...... :sign:

I sense your neighbor is just like a woman I work with. The woman is nuts. She smells cigar smoke on me and locks herself in her office. She says it makes her physically ill because she is "deathly" allergic to cigar smoke. Of course - she's "deathly" allergic to just about everything, including work, but that's another story...

I know exactly what you are talking about, I have worked with plenty of them in my day also....

Damn, you are being alot nicer than I would have been...... as mentioned by many others I would tell them to g.o F**K themselves

I sense your neighbor is just like a woman I work with. The woman is nuts. She smells cigar smoke on me and locks herself in her office. She says it makes her physically ill because she is "deathly" allergic to cigar smoke. Of course - she's "deathly" allergic to just about everything, including work, but that's another story...

I know exactly what you are talking about, I have worked with plenty of them in my day also....

Yeah - and I make sure I make about a dozen trips into her office the first hour I'm there... :whistling:

A couple of months back someone sprayed Formula 409 on their desk to clean up - quite a ways away from her. She told the boss she had to go home because the "toxic fumes" of the spray affect her breathing and she didn't want to go into "an allergic reaction"... ???

Then she goes on to tell me one of the neighbors about 4 or 5 houses down from her smokes cigars when he walks his dog. He doesn't go by her house, but the wind sometimes carries the smoke to her house. She has to close up all her windows or she goes to the hospital... :rolleyes: Pleeeeze....

WRZ, I'd explain to them the arrangement that you have worked out with your closer neighbors, and that you're more than happy to accomodate them as well, but, in the same sentence, remind them they are 2 doors down (that has to be at least 100 ft., how much smoke can they really be talking about) and that it's their choice to leave the door open. Ask them why they keep their door open and then ask them if they wouldn't mind shutting it if they see you smoking, explain your typical smoking period is about an hour. I seriously doubt that they can smell cigar smoke when they get back home if they keep their door open when they are not at home (I honestly doubt they really even smell any cigar smoke, it's probably that they see you smoking, it bothers them for whatever reason, and then they smell smoke).

If all else fails, buy a charcoal grill (or a gas one you never clean) and start grilling. See if they complain about the grill, I have a feeling they won't because they aren't bothered by you grilling, or the smoke from the grill, but only smoke from a cigar because they are just bothered by cigars. Keep in mind that they might have a legitimate reason for being bothered by cigar smoking in general, like, one of them might be a former smoker who gets cravings seeing you smoking, or they might have had a relative die from lung cancer or something of the sort. It's a sensitive issue for them for some reason, so you should treat it sensitively, while at the same time not letting their paranoia, assholery, or whatever it is, force you to stop enjoying your cigars.

Also, do they have a grill, you could tell them you'd like them to stop grilling because the smoke irritates you if they think they are all right and you are all wrong.

I'm with Brewmeister, get a smoker and so them how bad the smoke can get. I haven't head of a state that has yet made it illeagal for you to grill your dinner outside.

I'm with Brewmeister, get a smoker and so them how bad the smoke can get. I haven't head of a state that has yet made it illeagal for you to grill your dinner outside.

hehe. We both have grills, so unfortunately that would cancel each other out.

It is unfortunate that there will always be that one Neighborhood Nazi to try and ruin it for everyone because they are so miserable, so does everyone else.

It dumbfounds me that someone would have the audacity to try and tell you what to and what not to do on your own property. Amazing.

This really should not be bad situation. First, they have not come to you and you have agreement with the other neighbor. If they come to you tell them you are not doing anything illegal and you intend to continue to pursue this smallest of pleasures on the deck of your own home. But to help them out you would concede to raise a smoking flag or turn on a smoking light and they can take the appropriate action.