• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Awwwww heck. Too many empty boxes

Ginseng

Banned
I was doing some coolerdor tetris today. After I had moved some cigars from dressed boxes to cabs, I went to put the empties in the pile with the rest of the dressed boxes. Just as a matter of factly, I grabbed what I thought was an empty box of Monte No. 2 and opened it up. There staring back at me were two, dry but otherwise perfect torpedoes. I have no idea how long they had been out of a cooler, but it was probably since summertime. The unfortunate thing is, while the temperature in my basement is a cigar-friendly 62F right now, the humidity has been under 50% for at least 2 months. :(

So into a cooler they went. The wrappers were in fine condition and there was tobacco aroma, but ouch.

Anyway, has this ever happened to anyone else?

Wilkey

I only got up to two coolidors before I bought the cabinet so I can't say that has happened to me.

One day, I'm going to have to go cabinet. But for now, it's the Coleman shuffle. I did also find a sampler tin of Drew Acids with a few cigars inside but I'm not all broken up about it. :p

Wilkey

It happened to me with a fiver of CAO Golds. They didn't have any flavor to begin with, so it wasn't much of a loss. I'd be heartbroken if it had been anything as lovely as No. 2s.

Probably 8 years ago someone gave me a Cuban Hoyo de Monterrey Coronation in an aluminum tube. I am assuming it is old because the band is very different than the current HDM stuff. It is brown with white lettering. I will try to post a picture when I find my digital camera.

Anyway, somehow I lost track of it and it sat in the back of a drawer in a desk in my basement (that did have at least *some* humidity) for somewhere around 5 years. When I found it I laughed and figured it was long gone. I opened the tube and the cigar was quite dry but still intact. I kept the cap off, put it in a seasoned travel humidor, and slowly increased the RH. After about 8 weeks or so I put it in my regular humidor (still uncapped) and it has been there ever since.

The body seems supple, the foot is springy, and the whole cigar seems a bit "looser" than it should be but I am going to light it one of these days just to see if the thing was dessicated to death or if there is still some love there.

sinnyc,

That would be a cool little experiment. Do let us know how it turned out.

Wilkey

Sorry to hear about the tragedy of your Monte2s. I'll gladly take them off your hands and give them a proper burial.

Yeah, 50% doesn't sound that bad. I'm sure they're fine. Think positively Wilkey....will them to be good!

Anyway, has this ever happened to anyone else?
Yeah, but not Monte 2's. I recently found an Opus Fuente Fuente that had apparently slipped off of a small table near my desktop humi's and landed under a storage shelf. Found the sucker when I was getting out Christmas decorations. I bought this one in October, along with a few of its brothers to put down for a while and must have lost track when I was reshuffling sticks amongst the humi's. The cigar seems to be in decent shape and not too dry. Fortunately the Opus that I have gotten have all been too wet to begin with and still in cello. :laugh:

Cheers,
antaean

Sorry to hear about the tragedy of your Monte2s. I'll gladly take them off your hands and give them a proper burial.
I don't believe in doing that. I always prefer cremation.

I had this happen to a RyJ2 in a tube once. Nothing spectacular or horrible comes to mind about smoking it.

I'm going to smoke them. Someday, I will. I just can't have this hanging over my head. :p

I've got an Acid monkey on my back!

Wilkey

sinnyc,

That would be a cool little experiment. Do let us know how it turned out.

Wilkey

Who was it that said, "There's no time like the present?"

Well, I smoked the Cuban Hoyo de Monterrey Coronation mentioned in my post above. At first it was...scary. Although the cigar itself looked and felt like it was in pretty good shape, actually smoking it was a bit different. Right off the bat it was...stale, dry, even acrid: not enticing by any means and I damn near let it die within a couple of puffs of lighting it. But in the name of research, I soldiered on :rolleyes:

Once that first half inch was gone, things improved. Although the smoke was still somewhat dry, at least some earthy tobacco flavor developed along with a fairly strong taste of cedar - which makes sense since the thing had been in its cedar lined tubo for many years.

The ash was medium gray shot with darker gray, almost black bands. It wasn't too tight but then again neither was the body so no surprises there. The burn was even from start to finish.

By halfway the flavors were wood tones along with hints of nuts and chocolate.
The smoke off the end was nondescript but when I nosed my puffs I got more all of the above plus a little whiff of something else. Don't really know how to describe it - anise maybe? Odd. These tastes were consistent throughout as was the overlying faintly stale/dry taste.

Into the last third the wrapper split (maybe I weakened it removing the band) and so I took a final puff or two and let it go out.

All in all it wasn't half bad and it was waaaay better than those initial puffs would have indicated. It won't end up on any best of lists but it wasn't too shabby for a cigar that spent half a decade stuffed into a desk drawer.

- Tim