• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

B&M question

AndyRN

It's freezing here in Northern Illinois, so I decided to go to the local B&M to smoke. This is the first time I have done this as I prefer to smoke at home and I don't like talking politics, which always seems to be the topic of discussion in those sorts of settings. Anyway, I asked if I bought a few cigars there if I could smoke my own stash from home. I was told "No." I wasn't really upset, that's their policy, which is fine; however, since it was my birthday I was looking to smoke something a little more special then what they carried. How common is this practice at B&M's? Also, I brought coffee in, and didn't ask, was that a no-no? I did spend $60 there which doesn't entitle me to take a dump on the floor, but I didn't spend $5 either.

I have this conversation a lot. As Boston has some extremely over priced shops. If you don't buy one there they charge you a 10$ cutting fee. I think it sucks but that business if you want to smoke there it is what you have to do. Cigar shop owners can be funny. Ask Wkoti.

Is this where you buy most of your smokes anyway?

No I don't buy most from them. This was actually my first time there. When I searched cigar shops in my area, they did not come up.

I don't mind their practices, it is what it is, if I were the owner, which I am not, I would allow people to smoke outside stuff as long as you made some minimum purchase amount...but that's me. They were a little overpriced. I bought a CAO osa sol for $8, Tampahumidor has it $5.50. I bought a Davidoff for $15, I think, and the punch was $9. I don't remember the prices on the other stuff. I don't mind paying more for the convienence and a place to smoke.

Yeah, it is different at every B&M. I have encountered some rather weird owners, managers. But, they do own the place and you have to abide by their rules. I just try and avoid them if at all possible and find other places to enjoy my cigars.

And don't worry about Wkoti's experiences. He has the ability to bring out the best in shop owners.

LOL. I don't have any other choices besides the tinderbox, and that place is kind of a dump. Like I said, wasn't really upset, I just don't know what the "normal" is at most places. Also, I felt like a rookie when I was there; my cigar fell off the ashtray and fell on the floor and made a mess. doh.

I'd say that is fairly normal, even more so for someone just walking in off the street. They're running a business, after all. Unless I was a regular customer for quite some time, I would feel rather rude asking the question.

I don't see how asking a question is rude? Sorry but I consider myself a very polite person and I feel as if you called me rude. I don't see how you making that statement was constructive to the topic. The overall question I had was what are standard practices at b&m's not your opinion on my question.

Consider the point you made also. Had I asked if I could smoke a cigar purchased outside the establishment, considering I made a substantial purchase, then I see several regulars walk in and light up a cigar that is clearly not supplied by the store. I would be upset that there are rules for some people but not for others.

As I have said several times now, I was not upset with this rule and I did not convey any sort of discontent with this rule. I was simply curious if this is the norm.

This is an unfortunate time for B&M's. The internet provides a larger assortment at much lower prices then they can afford. I would possibly go there more often if I new I could smoke outside cigars or cigars that had some humidor time on them, but that's me and I was happy to have a comfortable chair and a warm place to smoke.

I may be a newb here but I don't appreciate your comment.

He was not calling you rude. You make some good points. It is still their establishment and your choice to frequent it. Lighten up buddy, this is a fun place to be.

Wow.

Sand. Vagina. Remove it.

I try not to get involved and comment in too many "noob out of line" posts because, well, I'm pretty new myself in the scheme of thing and the FOGs pretty much have things well covered around here. However, you are blowing a simple observation wayyyy out of proportion. Would you bring a six-pack into a corner bar you've never been to before, sit down at a table and proceed to drink it just because you could get the beer cheaper at the 7-11 on the way and the bar is warm and toasty inside? Would it be alright to do so even if you ordered some cheese sticks from the kitchen to go along with it?

No, it wouldn't be. That's the only point he's trying to make. You make a good point about the possibility of a double standard. However, it *is* a private establishment, and they get to make the rules. Kind of like any other private place, the better you are known the better you are treated, usually. Do you think that at an owner-run pub some of the regulars might enjoy a pint on the house here and there?

You had a valid question, but you also took John's valid (and not meant as malicious) answer out of context. He was calling the action rude, not the individual.

I would have just smoked my own after purchasing ones from them. I'd you spent money then they shouldn't care. Also, I would rather beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.
Ian

I would have just smoked my own after purchasing ones from them. I'd you spent money then they shouldn't care. Also, I would rather beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.
Ian

I agree with what Ian said ^^^^

I think there are a lot of B&Ms like that. The one I have recently found (since my old one closed) doesn't want you bringing in your personal cigars to smoke unless you are a member.

I don't see how asking a question is rude? Sorry but I consider myself a very polite person and I feel as if you called me rude. I don't see how you making that statement was constructive to the topic. The overall question I had was what are standard practices at b&m's not your opinion on my question.

Consider the point you made also. Had I asked if I could smoke a cigar purchased outside the establishment, considering I made a substantial purchase, then I see several regulars walk in and light up a cigar that is clearly not supplied by the store. I would be upset that there are rules for some people but not for others.

As I have said several times now, I was not upset with this rule and I did not convey any sort of discontent with this rule. I was simply curious if this is the norm.

This is an unfortunate time for B&M's. The internet provides a larger assortment at much lower prices then they can afford. I would possibly go there more often if I new I could smoke outside cigars or cigars that had some humidor time on them, but that's me and I was happy to have a comfortable chair and a warm place to smoke.

I may be a newb here but I don't appreciate your comment.

Your one-time $60 purchase probably isn't "substantial" when compared to the constant purchases made by these regulars you'd have a hard time with receiving additional benefits. In my experience, most lounge regulars do the vast majority of their purchases at the store. Or maybe these regulars pay a membership fee that allows them extra benefits.

If his location is good for you, start going there more often, then once you are "noticed" ask him if he'd allow you to pay a "cutting fee" or what it would take to smoke your own stuff there. At my local B&M I spend a decent amount on sticks and even more on liquor and even if they didn't allow people to bring their own sticks I feel comfortable they would let me. But that's a perk of being a regular, well that and not having to order your drinks anymore, as the people there KNOW you and know you aren't a one hit wonder.

I worked in a B & M for 3 years and have seen the smoking lounge abused by regular "customers" that rarely, if ever, bought sticks at the shop. They had no problem taking up space in the parking lot, taking a chair in the lounge, drinking the free coffee or telling all the patrons what a great deal they got on their cigar at Thompsons or JR or CI or Famous... As TheFatGuy stated and Taul Paul agreed with "smoke your own but buy something from the store." The store is there livelyhood, it's how they pay the bills. It costs money to heat/cool the lounge, provide ventilation, repair chairs, pay employees to clean ashtrays/floors/chairs/walls/windows/etc.

I'm sure any of us could think of something analgous with this thread's question, here's mine: I own an engineering firm with 30 employees. Imagine a potential client walking in the door and asking if he could use my copier to get some plans, prepared by a competing engineering firm, duplicated.

I'm sure any of us could think of something analgous with this thread's question, here's mine: I own an engineering firm with 30 employees. Imagine a potential client walking in the door and asking if he could use my copier to get some plans, prepared by a competing engineering firm, duplicated.

Not that same thing at all. If the client had purchased your plans and then asked to use your copier duplicate the other plans then it would be close. But, even then it is different. In your situation you are a lot less likely to get repeat business. If I go in to a B&M and make a purchase they shouldn't really care what I smoke in the shop. Telling me that I had to smoke what I purchased from them only would lead to me not returning. As others I have stated I would not have even asked. I would have made my purchase and lit up whatever I wanted to smoke.

Now the examples you gave at your B&M are completely unacceptable and I don't know why the owner allowed it. I would never smoke in my local B&M without making the minimum purchase.

Bottom line is they're a business and they need to make money. If I owned a BM and you spent $60 I certainly would not have a problem with you smoking your own cigar. I wish some BMs would just charge a cover charge and let you bring your own stuff. This is why I don't frequent BMs - too pricey here in California and I'd rather to smoke my own stuff plus I prefer to smoke in my backyard or at the local hotel.

Bottom line is they're a business and they need to make money. If I owned a BM and you spent $60 I certainly would not have a problem with you smoking your own cigar. I wish some BMs would just charge a cover charge and let you bring your own stuff. This is why I don't frequent BMs - too pricey here in California and I'd rather to smoke my own stuff plus I prefer to smoke in my backyard or at the local hotel.

It's just so hard to find a decent B&M cigar shop now a days. And in California, even smoking in your own backyard draws health-conscious condemning looks.

I'm lucky I live in FL an have a great B&M. I don't smoke outside cigars that could be purchased there, but will smoke my own if he doesn't carry the line. The owner seems cool with it, and I always buy a stick or two and a few beers.

IMO not allowing people who've made a purchase to smoke whatever they want is a poor business decision. It's better to have more liberal rules and kick out abusers than it is to alienate potential customers with stricter rules. All IMO, and from experience in working with a lot of small business owners, and in client services groups.

I've smoked my own in a b&m, and never asked if I could. Of course I always buy a stick (or usually more) first. I've never seen anyone paying attention to what I smoked after paying and heading to the lounge.

If anyone objected after I bought one stick but smoked another I'd probably just apologize, leave, and never come back. It's their business and it's my money, and we'll both do with them as we see fit.