• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Babes in the Woods aka We brought two trucks and lost them both!

steamboat

Future Skinny Person
As part of my quest to lose 100 lbs., I have been walking and riding my bike. So my buddy Ben, loves to hike on trails and invitesme to go along for the first trip on a new trail. We parked my vehicle at one end of the trail and drove his to the other. We park next to a sign saying Knobstone Trail Jackson Rd Trailhead and we start off down the trail right past a little sign showing a hiker.

Now to a reasonable man but not an experienced hiker, one would expect this would be the proper route but NO! You are not supposed to walk past the sign clearly showing a hiker, you are supposed to walk back out onto Bartle Knob Rd, turn left and drop down over a bluff on a path to steep fpr goats.

Planned route in Blue, actual in Red, LOL

Jackson Rd Trailhead is at the top of the photo, where Ben's Explorer is parked, Deam Lake Trailhead is at the bottom where my Explorer is parked and Rescue Point, LOL is approximately where we were when my Mommy picked us up. Thank God for Mommies!

In the bible the downhill, wide, easy walking path leads to Hell, in Borden, In it leads to Mountain Grove Cemetary. My dad always said to be careful about which turns you made in life because you might wind up in the cemetary, damned if he isn't right again!

LOL, if you are going to do more hiking you should get yourself a hand-held GPS unit.
I do a fair amount of back country hiking looking for cave entrances.
A good GPS can be invaluable for getting you to the cave and back to the cars again.

Either trail, I am sure you got a good hike in, just not a hike in the right direction.

Tim

What cigar did you smoke? 

Don Emilio, it is the brand my buddy Abbie developed for Levy Brother's restaurants. Pretty tasty!

Either trail, I am sure you got a good hike in, just not a hike in the right direction.

Tim

Actually, because I am a rookie and still not in the best of shape, the horse trails are a better option, the grades gentler and the trail is wider and smoother.

Nice. :laugh:

I used to be more of an avid hiker and back country camper, now it's mostly car camping (setting up tent next to my car). It's good this is something you can laugh from. When I was about 8 or 9, I got lost for a couple of hours during a boy scout trip. Pretty scary, at least for a kid. :blush:

GPS is great don’t get me wrong but if you are going to spend any time in the woods you need to learn to use a map and compass. It could save your life. There are some great books to learn from. I had a buddy of mine that was in the army teach me. I hardly use my GPS any more. Also a great toppo map of the area is a great tool to have even with a gps. Enjoy the woods but do it safely. I lost a cousin to the hills when I was a kid he was just out for a hike and was not found for three weeks. So be safe rp