• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bad Cigars

davidh_r

Ive been smoking for a while now, and id like to expand my selection of cigars. Ive tried quite a few, but im scared of trying some cigars for fear of tasting ass! Please list cigars that taste like crap and should be banished from stores forever!
heres my list:

The free cigars i got with my Thompson humidor
Macanudo Maduro (ive only had one but it was discusting, anybody like these?)

All Fuente and Padron products...they are terrible and should all be banished to my coolidors :whistling:

I think of it more like harvesting mushrooms. You don't have to know all of them. You just have to know a few you really enjoy and stick with them and stay away from the others. I did that for a few years. It almost seems like a practical joke to buy an eight dollar smoke and have it taste like crap---and that happens. And it may not be the cigar is all that bad, you may just not like it. Smoke what you like and nevermind what anyone else likes if you want.

It is much easier to name 10 brands that I like than the 1.409 brands that I don't like or aren't worth the money asked for just an OK smoke. Besides isn't it better to concentrate on the positive? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The problem I found with this strategy is after a while I got into a rut. The posting on this site got me out of it without my having to purchase 200 dog rockets to find some new brands that I liked. Just read and search.

And try the Newbie Trade. You really will be thrilled with what you get out of that if your experience is anything like mine was there. (Thanks again, Larry)

Cheers and welcome to the board.

Cigars are like women... It's all about what YOU like. Some like blondes, some like brunettes, some prefer redheads. Tall, short, thick, thin, etc., etc....

What some guys think is unappealing may be appealing to the next guy. (Swisher Sweets have been around for a long time so someone has to like 'em, right?)

Anyway, once you identify your preference(s), the best thing to do is look for others that fit your tastes. If you have a decent cigar shop in town, you might start there. Let them know what you DO like and ask for other smokes you might try.

Personally, while I am happily married to the best woman in the world, I believe that variety is the spice of life when it comes to cigars. I like to try a lot of different things.

-- Hawk

I second the idea of reading folks' comments on here. If you believe the copy in the catalogs (and especially on CBid) there isn't a bad cigar in the world. :laugh:
You can get some great deals on samplers on CBid that will help you expand your tastes, but make sure to check prices from local and online vendors so that you don't end up paying premium prices for run-of-the-mill smokes. :whistling:

i understand your analogy, but thats like saying someone out there is marrying the obese hairy women with mustaches and bad breath, so someone likes em. which i would like to avoid if someone out there has been with that kind of cigar (i.e. swisher sweets or thompson cigars) <--these people just havent tried a real cigar!

Fast4Dr said:
All Fuente and Padron products...they are terrible and should all be banished to my coolidors :whistling:
[snapback]147076[/snapback]​

I love padrons, fuentes arent bad either!!

PM vewyphishy in the Newbie Sampler Trade Thread and he'll send you a nice variety of good smokes many of which I'm sure we'll become new favorites :cool:

I love the Fuente OpusX but hate Padrons.... spent some money on 1 too and found it disgusting...

NickDavid said:
I love the Fuente OpusX but hate Padrons.... spent some money on 1 too and found it disgusting...
[snapback]147237[/snapback]​

Try an Anniversary 1926 :love: That ought to change your mind about Padron ;)

lucasbuck said:
NickDavid said:
[snapback]147237[/snapback]​

Try an Anniversary 1926 :love: That ought to change your mind about Padron ;)
[snapback]147241[/snapback]​

yea? i'll trade ya for a Ghurka Pre-Embargo...... just got some in.. haven't tried it yet.

I got some of those Thompson freebies with my first humidor...ugh. The 1926 Serie Padron Maduros are amazing. I've got a No. 6 chillin' in my humidor right now.

Eric.

I used to only smoke LGCs. Now, that I have been a part of this board. i have sampled and indulged in most of the hard to find (OPUS, PAM, DC Maximus) and the taboo (authentic cubans). Without this board, I would have still smoked good cigars (LGCs are great), but would have #1) continued paying too much for them, and #2) not have been turned on to diversity.

As far as what to stay away from..................most smokes that are less than $2 each. And especially those cheap smokes with flashy bands. Or the ones with all of the print in the catalogs.

I WAS a quantity guy.............now, I am a quality in quantity guy.

I like (in approximate order of cost - starting cheap)

(cheap)
Consuerga
Sancho Panza Double Maduro
LGC Wavell Maddy
5 Vegas
Padron 5000

(norm)
LGC Serie R #5
CAO MX2
CAO Brazilia
CAO Maduro
CAO Cameroon
Partagas Black
Partagas Spanish Rosado
Partagas Cifuentes
Cohiba Red Dot

(overpriced, but worth it)
DC Maximus
PAM
OPUS
Davidoff MB

(the ones were not supposed to have)
Partagas SD4
Cohiba Robusto
Montecristo
Vegas Robaina

But, like others have said...........everyone has their own tastes. Just try the newbie sampler, take some notes........consider the cost of a stick.....and make your mind up based on experience and cost. Before you know it you'll be buying boxes and things to put said boxes in.

And remember..........even a bad cigar...........isn't too bad ;)

Good luck and enjoy the journey,

M. Gipson

And remember..........even a bad cigar...........isn't too bad wink.gif

You just haven't tried the right "bad cigar". ;)

Everyone's taste is slightly different.

How they are stored can be different.

The time of day you smoke can make it different.

Each size within a brand can be different.

Each box can be different.

Each vintage of the same cigar is different.

Each cigar within a box is different.

Expensive does not always mean good.

Domestic manufacturers strive for consistancy of taste and construction but it doesn't always work that way.

Dog rockets are dog rockets.

What they are is up to you.

You may not like something that others do and visa versa. Generally cheap is cheap and that means something. I try to get good cigars at a cheap price.

During the cigar boom of the '90's I got into researching cigars (like you are doing now) because I was tired of smoking expensive dog rockets and thus being ripped off. Research what others like, here and on other boards, cigar stores and magazines. If someone else likes it and that reduces the chances of smoking something bad. If you are buying something new buy two.

When you define your personal taste profile you will have a better idea what are dog rockets and what are not. What place they have in your humidor (top shelf, bottom shelf) will come with some experimentation.

Would love to have you in the Newbie sampler trade!