• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Balkan Sobranie Pipe Tobacco.....

SKYDIVNEKD

Call me "Walt Kowalski"
I know this is a long shot, but I have to try. This is an english blend that has been out of production since 1996. I'm lookin' from an ounce or more (if possible). Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. :whistling:

Floyd T. :sign:

PS: I did find a "source" on the net. A seven ounce can was $600.00!!!! I don't need this kind of source! ;)

I used to love the Sobranie cigs...if you run across those I might take up smoking again. :p

AVB....I did see the source you referred to in your PM. I read the reviews of that on another site and "they" say it just ain't the same. The taste is off. Thanks for thinkin' 'bout me though! ;)

Floyd T. :sign:

I used to love the Sobranie cigs...if you run across those I might take up smoking again. :p

I loved those little round metal tins they came in back when I was....well, let's just say a LOT younger than I am now. :laugh:

The pipe tobacco came in the round tins, the cigs came in rectangular tins, 10 to a tin and horribly expensive even back then.

I loved those little round metal tins they came in back when I was....well, let's just say a LOT younger than I am now. :laugh:

Nope, nope, nope! I believe you're a lot younger than I am, my friend, as I clearly remember a cylinder printed in black and gold, and the little circles of black tobacco when you popped the lid. I also remember only buying them once, and then going back to Gauloise Bleu for their milder flavor. :laugh:

Oh God you're going WAY back. The white tins were around since at least '64 but you are correct there were the cylindrical ones before that. I remember seeing them on my father's dresser a few times. When you said round I wasn't thinking of those. Damn older fart :p

Nope, nope, nope! I believe you're a lot younger than I am, my friend, as I clearly remember a cylinder printed in black and gold, and the little circles of black tobacco when you popped the lid. I also remember only buying them once, and then going back to Gauloise Bleu for their milder flavor. :laugh:

HA!! :laugh:

You really are old, repeating yourself like that :laugh:

balkan saseni is about the same, more'r less.

i've had good luck blending to taste, m'self.

there's about 40% light turkish, and 10% latakia, and 40% medium red virginia, and 10% dark fired virgina/carolina (i Think, it MAY be burley, cased, hard to tell through the Latakia)

and i THINK maybe a drop of something on the dark virgina, a teeny smidgin of the old crayture perhaps. if so, a hint of it, maybe just aged in a used whiskey barrel.

now, that's my best guess, and you can play some with the percentages, and newly mixed won't match a couple years age on it. AND, even aged, you can't get the identical sort of processing (old farmer's methods) as 40 years back. it's more mechanical, commercial, & blended.

but if you'll blend to taste, you can get as close or closer than any commercial blend. Penzance will equal (or nearly) the overall quality, and you can beat that. Just start with Izmir, Latakia, Red Virginia, & Dark fired & aged, at 4/1/4/1 ratios, and see how close that is..

a cigar box makes a nice aging box. :) don't spill any drips of cognac or single malt on it. ;)

Wow Mitch, you have some amazing knowledge of blending :thumbs: Did you used to work in a tobacco shop or are you just a highly educated customer?

none of the above.. i happen to have been chasing Balkan Sobranie, both the original mixture and Yenidge Turkish shag, for about 3 decades, irregularly.

I know buggerall about any OTHER blend.. well, Drum, which I have in fact found a better tobacco than my own version, so don't bother anymore..

I'm at the stage where I can just about recognize a good blenders work. :) BUT, when I've seen ONE Balkan sobranie cigarette bring 10$.. you can see where I'd be inspired to TRY to fake it..

The problem was for years we had no trade agreement in place, for Turkish tobacco, and it piled up. THEN a deal got made, and it became possible to find again, nearly as good. :)

So, while new blends aren't the identical pure originals, it's POSSIBLE to get within a hair of the oldies. Nearly. And lots of fun trying.. :)

none of the above.. i happen to have been chasing Balkan Sobranie, both the original mixture and Yenidge Turkish shag, for about 3 decades, irregularly.

I know buggerall about any OTHER blend.. well, Drum, which I have in fact found a better tobacco than my own version, so don't bother anymore..

I'm at the stage where I can just about recognize a good blenders work. :) BUT, when I've seen ONE Balkan sobranie cigarette bring 10$.. you can see where I'd be inspired to TRY to fake it..

The problem was for years we had no trade agreement in place, for Turkish tobacco, and it piled up. THEN a deal got made, and it became possible to find again, nearly as good. :)

So, while new blends aren't the identical pure originals, it's POSSIBLE to get within a hair of the oldies. Nearly. And lots of fun trying.. :)

got to D & R Tobacco, they have a cigarette blend called Ramback which is mostly Yenidje (or however the hell you spell it) Turkish tobacco. It doesn't say so on their site, but RYO Magazine said that's what it is, and apparently the guy who writes it was searching for that type of Turkish tobacco for years before he convinced D&R to make a blend of it.

I entirely agree with you, and except for Peter Stokkeby's Turkish Export, it's *the* RYO turkish blend.. (so far)

But the problem with it is.. I'm collecting BOOZE.. :)

And somehow I just keep putting off the tobacco purchases..

Anyone who has great compassion, a few extra benjamins, and buys Christmas presents in May, Message Me Immediately for an urgent public service announcement.. :D