• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

ban in public places?

Rusty-Shackleford

I was in my local B&M this weekend and noticed a pamphlet about cigar rights. It says several states have taken action to stop cigar smoking on beaches, parks, and other various areas. Is it more of a smoking in general kind of thing? and what states are these bans in effect. I tried to search for answers on this forums. anyone have any ideas on the subject?

Here the smoking ban, recently extended to bars and pool halls, for cryin' out loud, keeps getting extended to allow venues time to build outdoor "smoking patios."

That's really not a good option for cigars. :(

Fortunately, most of the places I like to have a cigar, outside the local B&M, are outdoor concert venues. For now, those are safe.

~Boar

Thats definitely in reference to California. But that isn't the only state that has laws like that. Omaha, Nebraska has an extreme one on the books. If you are outside in the public and smoking, a person can call the cops on you and have the police write you a ticket. Public meaning any where. I think it also applies to your own yard but I can't say for 100% on the yard part. :angry:

Public meaning any where. I think it also applies to your own yard but I can't say for 100% on the yard part. :angry:

THAT is just outrageous. Curse the day that kind of a law ever becomes commonplace. I can bend my mind somewhat (even though its tough) to comprehend a smoking ban in a bar or restaurant, but your OWN PROPERTY?!?!? I guess if you open that box you might as well regulate what kind of food you can consume in your house.

Seriously. People are starving all over the world and we're putting the hammer down on cigars, an industry that provides 1000s of jobs in several countries. :angry: :angry:

/political rant over.

Rhode Island has already banned smoking in work places (with the exception of any place whos cigar sales exceed 80% of all sales) as well as at the beaches.

Public meaning any where. I think it also applies to your own yard but I can't say for 100% on the yard part. :angry:

THAT is just outrageous. Curse the day that kind of a law ever becomes commonplace. I can bend my mind somewhat (even though its tough) to comprehend a smoking ban in a bar or restaurant, but your OWN PROPERTY?!?!? I guess if you open that box you might as well regulate what kind of food you can consume in your house.

Seriously. People are starving all over the world and we're putting the hammer down on cigars, an industry that provides 1000s of jobs in several countries. :angry: :angry:

/political rant over.

Problem is that its public air. I can't remember if it plays out like this or not. If you are in your yard and smoking, and there is a slight breeze and carries the smoke to your neighbor who is outside, then he/she can call the cops on you. I know for a fact this law applies to side walks and other things like parks and what not. I just can't remember if it applies to your property since they made the premise that the air is public and doesn't matter where you are at.

/political rant over.

Problem is that its public air. I can't remember if it plays out like this or not. If you are in your yard and smoking, and there is a slight breeze and carries the smoke to your neighbor who is outside, then he/she can call the cops on you. I know for a fact this law applies to side walks and other things like parks and what not. I just can't remember if it applies to your property since they made the premise that the air is public and doesn't matter where you are at.

Well then to be fair they better ban fireplaces, grilling, campfires, public busses, semi-trucks, you know anything that emits smoke or fumes.

It's hard to believe that even if you don't like smoking you can't see the danger in letting the government controll what legal activities you can do on your property.

Keith

My neighbor was grilling something yesterday that smelled horrible!

I was quite offended.

Rhode Island has already banned smoking in work places (with the exception of any place whos cigar sales exceed 80% of all sales) as well as at the beaches.

I can't help but laugh hearing this. Go ahead, ban it. Oh look. I'm still smoking at the beach. And I will still turn right on red when there isn't another car to be seen. But that's the key. I wouldn't light a cigar in the middle of a crowded beach.

Cigarette smokers, in general, light up wherever the hell they want. How else could they smoke 20 cigarettes a day? How could a person enjoy the beach without a cigarette. Hence the ban at the beach.

None of us should be surprised by any of these bans. Cigarette smoking is a nasty thing, and in retrospect, they got away with some crazy shit back in the day. Smoking in movie theatres? Smoking on planes? Public transport? Now the tide has changed and it's going in the opposite direction to the same extremes. Life.

I am far more concerned with the taxes than I am with the bans.

I doubt any such law would apply to private property. If it is written that way, a court decision will quickly reverse it.

I doubt any such law would apply to private property. If it is written that way, a court decision will quickly reverse it.

One could argue that automobile exhaust is the proberty / responsibility of the car owner... Exhaust fumes are nasty and harmful in their own right.

Constantly invading my public air supply..

/political rant over.

Well then to be fair they better ban fireplaces, grilling, campfires, public busses, semi-trucks, you know anything that emits smoke or fumes.

It's hard to believe that even if you don't like smoking you can't see the danger in letting the government controll what legal activities you can do on your property.

Keith

Sounds as if you could get a citation for flatulence too :sign:

Make all the jokes you want and when your town gets on the same bandwagon, I will be able to tell you, "I told you so." There is a lawsuit going on right now. A owner is trying to sue the state because his pool hall has to go Non-smoking today while a cigar shop does not. So he is suing that if he can't have smoking, then neither can a cigar shop.

Sad thing is...he will probably win it with how tight funding is all ready. Since the state has the State wide smoking ban go in today. It will get interesting to see how all this plays out.

[

/political rant over.

Um, not to play devils advocate, but they DO regulate what you can do in your own house. They are called drug laws. Just as some people don't want to be exposed to cigar smoke, others don't want to be exposed to marijuana smoke.

Obviously, I do not think in this way, but I thought i'd give you some food for thought :thumbs:

[

/political rant over.

Um, not to play devils advocate, but they DO regulate what you can do in your own house. They are called drug laws. Just as some people don't want to be exposed to cigar smoke, others don't want to be exposed to marijuana smoke.

Obviously, I do not think in this way, but I thought i'd give you some food for thought :thumbs:

Haha, fair enough, you got me there. How about in the realm of legal substances then :p

[

/political rant over.

I see one major flaw with your analagy, Marijuana is illegal no matter where you are. The one exception is if you have a medical permit, but even those aren't perfect either. Federal law still says it is illegal, so it is still possible to get a ticket or arrested, even if you bought it from a federally run store. Tobacco, at least for now, is completely legal to purchase, possess and consume (granted you are not in a "no-smoking" area).

There are some people pushing to make certain foods illegal because of the health risks they create. I don't think those laws will ever pass, but it doesn't mean people won't try.

Some people, for whatever reason, think it is the place of the government to regulate everything (cough, commies, cough ;)). I've never understood why, in a supposedly free society, so many people want more laws taking away those freedoms. With regard to smoking bans, I can understand them in enclosed areas. There are many people who don't smoke and they shouldn't have to deal with it if they want to enjoy the same places as everyone else. More so when it comes to the health risks to the workers in those establishments. HOWEVER, when it comes to forbidding me to smoke in an open, outdoor environment, that is where I draw the line! I don't light up in crowded areas because it is rude, and I can't enjoy my smoke, but I love to go for a walk. The first day I get a ticket for smoking on the sidewalk, I don't know what I'd do. I would seriously consider moving to a free country.

Please don't get me wrong, some laws and regulations are necessary. I work in the banking industry, and the slow deterioration of Depression era regulations have lead to the current state of the economy. I just think that there are certain areas where the government NEEDS to keep their hands off.

Ugh, like it was stated earlier, we're on a slippery slope. There's no telling where it will end.

I don't have a problem with a smoking ban in pubic places. I find it disconcerting. ???