• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Band of brothers

I've watched this series I don't know how many times. Many times from start to finish. My allergies start to act up as well when I watch it. The Pacific looks awesome. I can't wait for it to come out.

The DVD set is well worth it. I watched them all in 3 marathons and it was outstanding.

Loved "Band of Brothers" when I watched it back in 2001 on HBO. I've caught several of the episodes n the History channel, but need to buy this set.

Me and my dad have always set aside Veteran's Day to watch the entire series, still gets me every time.

I finally picked it up on Blu Ray during Xmas last year for $37 on Amazon. I really think this might be one of the best war movies/miniseries ever, if not the best.

Also, I cannot wait until "The Pacific" gets done and on HBO. I have not heard anything recently about it but did see a few months ago that production had started.

So, who has been watching it? I can not find any place to watch it online, and I checked HBO's site as well as Hulu. :(

"The Pacific" premiered on Sky Movies over here in the UK last week. Very good so far.

I really enjoyed this series. They just liberated the camp, and I must have gotten something in my eye.
Hell, I cry every time Lt.Cmdr. Donovan drives his booby trapped D9 into a petroleum storage tank, frying a battalion of Japanese, and dies when shot by a sniper trying to get off the bulldozer.
A big pat on the back to anyone who can tell me what movie I'm talking about.

Doc.
The Fighting Seabees

Starring John Wayne. Hate the movies where he dies. Sands of Iwo Jima in particular. The Shootist was the exception. Perfect ending for his last movie. But enough thread jacking.

Anybody read the book that the series was based on? I highly recommend it.

All of Ambrose books are outstanding...might I recommend these from his stable-

Pegasus Bridge
Citizen Soldier

I toured Normandy in 2004 for a second time and I used these two books and Band of Brothers as my guide- At Pegasus Bridge I actually met Madamme Gondree who was in the book and she stamped and signed my copy of Pegasus Bridge.

Great Series-looking forward to seeing the Pacific.

R

Pegasus Bridge is probably my favorite. It would make a fantastic movie.

Yep and they could actually use the original location...not much has changed there... Smoked a Cuban Partagas at the North End of the Bridge... Awesome day.

I've been keeping up with the Pacific, but it doesn't seem as good as Band of Brothers. Maybe I just set my expectations too high or maybe it will all come together in the end. The two series seem to be very different from each other. But maybe that just reflects on the vastly different experiences of the European and Pacific fronts.

I've been recording 'The Pacific' on DVR, but haven't sat down to watch any of the episodes yet.

I've been keeping up with the Pacific, but it doesn't seem as good as Band of Brothers. Maybe I just set my expectations too high or maybe it will all come together in the end. The two series seem to be very different from each other. But maybe that just reflects on the vastly different experiences of the European and Pacific fronts.

Yes it is different- for one Steven Ambrose's son wrote this one and they didn't have nearly as many live interviewee's to get storylines from. Pretty much the entire Company from Easy in the 506 PIR that survived were interviewed in depth by Steven Ambrose before he wrote the book. The Book spawned the series..in this case the Pacific was concieved to be a Series and then a book was concieved to garnish a screenplay from. It's been 20 something years since Ambrose wrote Band of Brothers... since then alot of our Greatest Generation have passed on so it had to be alot more daunting of a task for the son- Hugh to do his research..not to mention that alot of the Pacific War was fought in isolated pockets where details weren't relayed to anyone or if they were it was weeks to months before a press corps person could write about it and usually the war had already moved to a more "newsworthy" event.

R

I've been enjoying the Pacific. It's one of two shows I actually look forward to watching each week. The rest are just fodder for falling asleep.

Finally had a chance to watch the first three episodes of The Pacific. Also, I am currently reading "Helmet for my Pillow" written by Robert Leckie, which is supposed to be one of the books that The Pacific is based on. I think that had they stuck with "Helmet", the television show would be much better. Leckie's book is excellent.

I haven't seen The Pacific as I no longer get HBO, not sure if I'll get the DVD either but I was a huge fan of the BoB. One thing I found interesting of all the people the book and HBO series focused on, a guy named Robert "Burr" Smith was not one of them. A couple of months ago I was doing some random searching on Easy Company people and who was still alive and I came across a picture of Burr Smith. The guy was built like a shitbrickhouse and I started doing a little searching on him and was fascinated at what I found out. I'm not sure why he wasn't highlighted more but he certainly led an interesting life and is well worth researching if you have the time.

Just read a bit on him at wildbillguarnere.com written by his daughter. Very intriguing, I will have to research more. Thanks for the "heads up".