• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bang for the Buck

Half season beacher seats at Yankee Stadium. 10 bucks per game, and the playoffs. Watch millionaires play a kid's game. Have a meal and a couple Presidente's at Cuchifritos first, (no alcohol in the bleachers)

Sell one or two playoff games, go free next year. It's also educational. You learn a lot of new rituals out there in section 39.

Computers: Build it yourself and overclocking

CPU: AMD 2400+ Mobile Chip - $70

If you are building your own system, choose this chip over the intel one. You save atleast 30% compared to Intel Pentium. And these particular chip are identical to the regular desktop chip except they run at a lower voltage so you can get a highly succesfull overclock out of these. You can reach 3.0 Ghz speed at 1/4 the price.

Video Card: ATI Radeon 9800 pro - $160

This section has been updated, as the Radeon 9500 non pro is hard to obtain now due to dwindling stock. So Best Bang for the Buck, ATI RAdeon 9800 pro for $160 off ebay.

Optical Mice with scroll wheel and side buttons
Need I say more about this. If you ever struggled with a traditional ball mouse that's dirty you waste so much time just wrestling with it to get where you want to go. Plus with the scroll wheel and side button you save seconds that turns into minutes that turns into hours while Internet Browsing

Mozilla Firefox Browser - FREEhttp://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Browsing will never be the same. Think of it has having a Cello on a cigar. It protects you from damage. With builtin pop up blocking and tabbed browsing it makes browsing the CP forums a breeze. I middle click with my mouse wheel on all the threads I'm interested in. It loads them all quietly in the background in different tabs under the same window. And I will go to each thread when I'm done with it, versus the traditional Click on a thread, then go back, and then figure out where you are, or Right Click and Open New window over and over again.

RAM upgrade
If you ever needed the best bang for your buck in terms of an upgrade to a slower machine, there is no single component that can quickly add as much as a 30% increase in speed then a simple Ram Upgrade. Merely adding a 128 stick of ram to a system with 64 megs of ran for $20 and you will see almost a 50% jump in speed and less harddrive crunching. And of course, law of diminishing returns, add 128 to 128, and you get 25-30%, add 256 to 256 and it gets lower and lower.

Oh and Cigars

Onyx Reserve
At $3 a stick when you buy it in a box. It is a great deal for a very enjoyable maduro.

Bic Lighter
You could spend $100 on a nice lighter, or spend 50 cents on a Bic Lighter that does the exact same thing a $100 lighter does....that's light up your cigar. If this isn't a best bang for your buck, I don't know what is.

Xikar/Zino Cutter
These 2 cutters run you about $35 each. They are both considered the best bang for your buck in terms of cutters with their lifetime warranty and self sharpening blades ensuring a perfect clean cut each time.

Hope that was helpful guys.

txmatt said:
Dual SVS?!?!? You trying to blow out your neighbor's windows as well?

If I were going to spend that money on Subwoofers personally, I would do an Infinite Baffle setup.
Ah...the Infinite Baffle, I like the idea but unfortunately that won't be possible for me. I'm building a new house in the spring, the great room will be totally open (no attic) with nowhere for the IB to go. Also just sold my SVS, got an offer I couldn't refuse. I loved their "Bang" but will be looking for something more furniture grade for the new house. So now for the next 6-12 months I'm stuck with a cheap ole Denon fart box! I'm thinking ACI Maestro but might go with SVS with wood cabinets.

hudsonvalley said:
(no alcohol in the bleachers)
That is positively Un-American! No beer in the bleachers :0 That would not fly in STL. The rest of the equation sounds like a good deal with bang for the buck.

jacknife said:
txmatt said:
Bang for the buck Home Theatre Speakers: Axiom Audio
I've heard many great things about the Axioms but serious "BANG" for the buck belongs to dual SVS subwoofers :thumbs:
I'll have to say the Energy AC-300's are the best bang-for-the-buck center/surround

Reviews

But for mains....you simply CANNOT find better value than the Athena Technologies
Audition AS-F2!!! Stereophile recomended...best this...best that....yadda yadda.

Here for $400

Jacknife...you'll have to come by some time to hear the setup.

For the car.....DEI Sutdio components They used to be $210 for 2-ways. I went all out and replaced them with CDT-HD642-DTS (~$700 at the time).....CDT's were the BEST around, but they were not a value by any means. I should have stuck with the DEI's :(

Website

Cheers,
Dixie

JonnyKu said:
Computers: Build it yourself and overclocking

Video Card: ATI Radeon 9500/9800 - $110/$180

For a budget minded person get the Radeon 9500 Non Pro version with the Red PCB board. You can instantly turn it into a $150 video card with a simple software download then overclock it to near Radeon 9800 speeds all for around $110. Or if you feel like some extra power then get the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and once again you can flash upgrade it to a Radeon 9800xt which is a $250 video card. Keep in mind these are for you video gamers. Spreadsheet and Internet Browsing junkies will not benefit from this. A $30 card will be perfectly fine.
I think I'm gonna spring for one of these, so watch out, I'll be hosing your PM box for advice on how to overclock it! :D

rknicker said:
Those Athenas look an awful lot like my Yamaha's. Do they make their own stuff?
Do your Yamaha's weigh 51 lbs. each :p

Actually, yes they do :thumbs: They were a small Canadian firm. Then they signed a deal with Best Buy last year. I'm sure they've expanded since then ;)

These speakers are AMAZING!!!

Cheers,
Dixie

And I just looked...Best Buy actually has them for cheaper than my previous post :0

I cannot recommend these enough.

That's a hoot rknicker :)

Cheers,
Dixie