• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bead question

A few months back I read a thread on the CF board about this.
A person found that his did not only lose they're effectivness but turned color I think he said they turned yellow. Now this was after a very long period of use.
Is this normal or defective beads?? don't know as he was advised to replace them with new beads.

Jim.

This topic belongs in the forum about storage, etc... But the beads should last you for a long long time. In fact, they will pay for themselves a couple of times when you compare them to humidifier juice, distilled water, new foam, etc...I suggest not dousing them with water when the RH drops. Just put an old puck full of distilled water in your humi/cooler/fridge next to your beads when the RH dips. The beads will abosrb the moisture directly from the air. If you add water directly to the beads, you run the risk of them absorbing too much moisture too fast and splitting. Once you humi gets 2 points higher than what the beads are rated for, pull out the extra pucks. This is what I do and it works like a charm!

Emo

Excellent advice Emo. I concur. Never add water directly to the beads. I use the exact same method described above and it works beautifully for me as well.

Geesh, you misplace one little post... JK.

Anyway, thanks for the replies guys. Had some beads that have that yellowish tint to them as well.

emodx said:
This topic belongs in the forum about storage, etc... But the beads should last you for a long long time. In fact, they will pay for themselves a couple of times when you compare them to humidifier juice, distilled water, new foam, etc...I suggest not dousing them with water when the RH drops. Just put an old puck full of distilled water in your humi/cooler/fridge next to your beads when the RH dips. The beads will abosrb the moisture directly from the air. If you add water directly to the beads, you run the risk of them absorbing too much moisture too fast and splitting. Once you humi gets 2 points higher than what the beads are rated for, pull out the extra pucks. This is what I do and it works like a charm!

Emo
Yep, I concur with what EmoDx said ;) :thumbs:

emodx said:
Just put an old puck full of distilled water in your humi/cooler/fridge next to your beads when the RH dips. The beads will abosrb the moisture directly from the air. If you add water directly to the beads, you run the risk of them absorbing too much moisture too fast and splitting. Once you humi gets 2 points higher than what the beads are rated for, pull out the extra pucks. This is what I do and it works like a charm!

Emo
I keep asking this: Since water evaporates from the container/sponge you put into your humidor/coolidor and the beads absorb the vapors is distilled water really necessary? To distill water you collect the vapors and the impurities are left behind, right? It seems to me the beads will be absorbing pure water when absorbing the vapors so tap water is just as good as long as you using an indirect method of adding water to the beads. If I am wrong in this line of thought someone please tell me.

Emo, what is the "puck" you are referring to?

Thanks!
Matt

you are most correct. Distilled water is not required for this recharge method. The Pucks Emo is referring to are the conventional/original round humidifiers that come with most Humis. They have what amounts to Floral Wet Foam in them.

I personally use a Bottle cap from a 2ltr bottle, and I fill it with tap water and set it in the humi. after about 24-48 hours, my humi is at 68% and I take out the cap. I end up doing this maybe once a month to keep my beads in perfect order.

Your volume required and time needed may vari as I am using a 45 ct desktop humi.