• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Beer tastes better out of copper.

personal User

Beer tastes better out of copper. To me, anyhow.

I have been drinking beer for over 55 years. I have seen a lot of changes over those decades. However, never once thought of drinking from copper.

Christmas of 2019 I was given as a gift a couple of copper tankards.

I soon knew I preferred the copper tankards, I thought it was because of the thermal conductivity of copper being better. And that might be the major reason.

However, the other day I took a known favorite chilled glass mug from the freezer, and pulled a doppelbock into it. Then did the same with a copper tankard.

Took them outside and was sipping on them. Ambient temp of 42 degrees (which is the temp that the beer was at.)

Sampling from both over a period of time it was clear to me that beer tastes better out of copper. Even poured some from one into the other (when empty, I know that pouring again changes the flavor a bit, but did it both ways.)

While this might not be enough of a scientific analysis for some, it was enough for me.

It is my belief that beer tastes better from copper.

How could this have eluded me for so long I don't know.

But, I did think I would share it with you guys.

Clear Solo cup. I guess it reminds me of beachside bars. Please don't tell me I gotta put a bunch of pennies in the bottom!

Awesome observation.
I'll say this, beer stored in aluminum tastes awful to me. I much prefer bottled over canned or kegged.

I generally used to prefer beer warmer also, particularly stouts and heavier beers
However, having been suddenly taken drunk too many times, I don't drink them .as regularly.

I have a keezer with three taps that I keep stocked with homebrews. I usually brew them to roughly 7% ABV.

Those I prefer around 42 degrees.

I prefer beer bottled also. But never got around to bottling home brew and went straight to kegging.

I haven't tried stouts from copper. Need to buy some and try it.

I'd be curious to see how this works across various types of beer. Dopplebock isn't one of my favorites but it is one I would be willing to try in copper.

I lean toward heavy barrel aged stouts at about 50 degrees and I will give a "small" amount a try......

I also wonder if it matters how clean the copper is?

Thanks for this