• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Beers and Cigars

I enjoy a nice back & tan with my cigars, when I'm drinking beer. Other than that, it's a nice single malt scotch or port wine!

Mmmmmmm, Beeeeer! I like to drink whatever beer is in my refrigerator when I light a cigar, but my favorites are Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel, Chimay Grand Reserve, Negro Modelo, Sapporo and Wild Goose Pale Ale. I will stop the list there, because I don't have all day to list the others. LOL! :D

Take care, Bacchus

BACCHUS said:
Mmmmmmm, Beeeeer! I like to drink whatever beer is in my refrigerator when I light a cigar, but my favorites are Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel, Chimay Grand Reserve, Negro Modelo, Sapporo and Wild Goose Pale Ale. I will stop the list there, because I don't have all day to list the others. LOL! :D

Take care, Bacchus
A fellow Chimay drinker....good choice my friend :thumbs:

like sapporo?

try tsing tao beer, would also like to try Sake' with a mild cigar, but have yet to get around to it.

I'm a pretty big beer snob and I have come to the conclusion that imported beers not from this continent are not worth drinking. Think about it. THey have to spend untold weeks in transit, in a shipping container, truck or whatever. Also the rare stuff doesn't move very fast at the stores. You don't know how old that stuff is.

There are plenty of good local microbrews so I stick to that continent's local fare when I am on that continent.

Japan has some great beers but I only drink them while in Japan. Ginga Kogen beer is an amazing beer made by handpicked German brewmeisters. I met the owner of the company and one of the brewmeisters while I was over there. THe beer NEVER is unrefrigerated, from brewing to drinking. The Hefeweizen is the way to go. Asahi Super Dry, Kirin Lager, and Sapporo are all good too.

Guinness of course.

I know I'll get some flak for this but Budweiser is perfectly good beer. August Busch knew how to make beer!

For local stuff Old Dominion, Red Hook, Pyramid, Harpoon, the list goes on and on and on. There are so many great beers from the US why go outside its borders?

One exception: there is a place called the Brickskellar here in DC that has the World REcord for most types of beer available. It's run by a guy who knows his beers and they are kept very fresh. When I'm there it's all about the German Hefeweizens.

Lumberg said:
I'm a pretty big beer snob and I have come to the conclusion that imported beers not from this continent are not worth drinking. Think about it. THey have to spend untold weeks in transit, in a shipping container, truck or whatever. Also the rare stuff doesn't move very fast at the stores. You don't know how old that stuff is.

I would have to disagree, IMHO belgian beer is the best. the trappist beers are the most full flavored beers out. like a cuban cigar but legal here. as far as fresh as long as beer has no rice in it , does not see light or have great tempature swings, it should not matter how old it is. sometimes the older the better when it comes to bottle condition ale.

correct, I agree with you about Tappist beers.

Does Shangy's carry Chimay??

Ellman said:
as far as fresh as long as beer has no rice in it , does not see light or have great tempature swings, it should not matter how old it is.
Therein lies the problem my friend. Do you know the history of the bottle you are now drinking?

What temperature extremes has it seen?

How much time has it spent in sunlight? Incandescent light? Fluorescent light?

One particular brand I always steer clear of is Newcastle Brown ale. It's in a clear bottle for chrissakes! Can you say SKUNKED?

And you're right about proper aging. Again the problem lies in the "proper" part of it.

That's why I love born-on dating :)

Shangy always has Chimay

As far as light goes I live in PA were you can only buy by the case. so lights not a problem. With the higher end belgain or for that matter imports( I'm not talking low end import like New castle and such)they do a good job with temp. when your paying 45 to 130 for a case and it bad You take it back. and at "Shangys" thay will take it back.

Ludwig said:
BACCHUS said:

Take care, Bacchus
Trappist beers are IMHO the best in the world, and Chimay has been my go to Trappist for years. But I have also been really impressed with the Ayinger German beers. Their beers routinely win international competitions and I salivate at the mere mention of the Altbairisch Dunkel they make. My local liquor store carries the Ayinger 17 ounce for $2.25 a bottle.

Take care, Bacchus

Ellman said:
Shangy always has Chimay

As far as light goes I live in PA were you can only buy by the case. so lights not a problem. With the higher end belgain or for that matter imports( I'm not talking low end import like New castle and such)they do a good job with temp. when your paying 45 to 130 for a case and it bad You take it back. and at "Shangys" thay will take it back.
cant wait! I will be in Bethlehem this weekend for the game and will make a trip :)

BACCHUS said:
Ludwig said:
BACCHUS said:
Mmmmmmm, Beeeeer!  I like to drink whatever beer is in my refrigerator when I light a cigar, but my favorites are Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel, Chimay Grand Reserve, Negro Modelo, Sapporo and Wild Goose Pale Ale.  I will stop the list there, because I don't have all day to list the others.  LOL!  :D

Take care, Bacchus
Trappist beers are IMHO the best in the world, and Chimay has been my go to Trappist for years. But I have also been really impressed with the Ayinger German beers. Their beers routinely win international competitions and I salivate at the mere mention of the Altbairisch Dunkel they make. My local liquor store carries the Ayinger 17 ounce for $2.25 a bottle.

Take care, Bacchus
MMMMM Ayinger! I love their Hefe Weiss, and I think they make a Hefe Weiss Dunkel that is also delicious!

2.25 a bottle, that's cheap!

I have been enjoying a seasonal beer - Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. This is from the Brooklyn Brewery and is made just in the fall. Has a nice stout flavor that goes great with a nice strong smoke. :D

Captain B said:
I have been enjoying a seasonal beer - Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. This is from the Brooklyn Brewery and is made just in the fall. Has a nice stout flavor that goes great with a nice strong smoke. :D
That is a very tasty beer! :thumbs:

Captain B said:
YES!

Only made for the holidays....one of the strongest, if not the strongest (alcohol wise) stouts I haev ever had!

I keep a few bottle of Samiclaus on hand for special occasions. 14-15% alsohol, one will do ya!

Good with a nice Habanos anytime!

One of my go to beers has to be Samuel Smith Outmeal Stout. But I'm going to try to find this Brooklyn Stout next time I go to the beer store!

When I do drink beer with cigars, it's only Anchor Steam or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale!

:)