• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

BEETLE'S

smokers only said:
Do you think this would be a waste of time or should I try this? Set some traps, clean and vacum the whole humidor, start freezing a couple box's at a time? The cigars I saw damage on were ones with no cellophane on them, the ones with cellophane were fine. Should I freeze the non cellophane box's first?

Iam going there tomorrow as Iam not open so I can start with this mess.

-Matt
Sounds like a good plan :thumbs: Best of luck bro!

Emo

If you have just purchased a cigar store why not ask the Cigar Reps and Manufacturers? They would have an interest in you selling their product without beetles. If I was a retailer and had an outbreak of beetles I couldn't/wouldn't even think about selling any of the cigars to Joe Public. In Business you're only as good as your reputation, why chance it?

Only freezing a few boxes and then reintroducing them to other boxes that are most likely contaminated is like trying to scoop water up with a fishing net. How much inventory are we talking about? I'm guessing its a small inventory since you have passed up on one of the cheapest suggestions given to you. I do not suggest trying to save infested cigars to resell but if you are dead set on trying to save these cigars go buy a deep freeze. You can pick up a new freezer for 200 bucks and prob find a used one for half that. If thats not an option for you for whatever reason go find a local meat market or other similar type industry that would have hugh walk in freezers. I bet if you offered the owner $50 to rent a small space in the walk in for 3 days he would. Be sure to double or even triple wrap the cigars in garbage bags to insure the owner that everything in the bag will stay in the bag...dead or not.

If thats not an option for you for whatever reason go find a local meat market or other similar type industry that would have hugh walk in freezers.

Having spent a lot of time in a slaughter plant, I would recommend against it. Even at zero degrees Fahrenheit or less, there is a strong musk in a meat locker. That's no place I'd put my stogies. ??? But I think Allofus has the right idea, but I'd try a supermarket, as they'll have two or three walk in freezers.

Allofus123 said:
If you have just purchased a cigar store why not ask the Cigar Reps and Manufacturers? They would have an interest in you selling their product without beetles. If I was a retailer and had an outbreak of beetles I couldn't/wouldn't even think about selling any of the cigars to Joe Public. In Business you're only as good as your reputation, why chance it?

Only freezing a few boxes and then reintroducing them to other boxes that are most likely contaminated is like trying to scoop water up with a fishing net. How much inventory are we talking about? I'm guessing its a small inventory since you have passed up on one of the cheapest suggestions given to you. I do not suggest trying to save infested cigars to resell but if you are dead set on trying to save these cigars go buy a deep freeze. You can pick up a new freezer for 200 bucks and prob find a used one for half that. If thats not an option for you for whatever reason go find a local meat market or other similar type industry that would have hugh walk in freezers. I bet if you offered the owner $50 to rent a small space in the walk in for 3 days he would. Be sure to double or even triple wrap the cigars in garbage bags to insure the owner that everything in the bag will stay in the bag...dead or not.
Well the humidor is 150sq ft. I have about $20,000 in there right now so of course I want to stop this problem. I just went in the shop today and I was cleaning the whole store and the humidor, The owner left the shop so durty! I seen there were dead beetles outside the humidor, they were in the store but dead.

Here is what Iam going to do, Iam going to go buy a freezer today and put it into the shop. Iam going to close the humidor down and start freezing everything. And everythime I buy cigars they will be frezzed before they go into my humi. That way nothing gets in there...

Does this freezer have to be a special kind/type? please let me know asap so I can go buy this.
what do I set it at? and you think I should leave the cigars in the box's or take them out and put in bags? I think putting the whole box would be better right?

Thank you very much for everyones help :)

btw- should I have a company come a spray my shop with something? just in case?
-matt

Does this freezer have to be a special kind/type? please let me know asap so I can go buy this.
what do I set it at? and you think I should leave the cigars in the box's or take them out and put in bags? I think putting the whole box would be better right?

First, you can't just put the cigars straight in the freezer. You really do need to refrigerate them first. I've seen freezers that can be adjusted from 0 degrees to 40 degrees, that way you could phase in the cold temperature. Personally I'd look for a side by side freezer/refrigerator that is just half and half, not mostly refrigerator. That way you can leave them in the fridge for a couple of days, and just transfer them over. As for the temperature, the standard for freezing is 0 degrees, and refrigerating is 37-40 degrees, so I imagine this is what is typically practiced with cigars.

Also, I would leave them in the box, but I'd put the box in a gallon sized freezer bag, and seal it airtight.

Hope this helps!

I found a freezer at best buy, There cheap so thats a good thing. Let me ask this. can I put them in the freezer and set it at the warmest temp for a few days than set it to the coldest?

With me just putting them in the freezer will this hurt the cigars. I just dont want to damage this but I dont have room for both, freezer and fridge.

ideas???

-matt

thanks guys

That depends what the warmest setting on the freezer is. If it's still below freezing, then I wouldn't do it. As I said early, I'd look at a freezer/fridge combo, preferably used and with minimal features. :p

Wildcard said:
That depends what the warmest setting on the freezer is. If it's still below freezing, then I wouldn't do it. As I said early, I'd look at a freezer/fridge combo, preferably used and with minimal features. :p
If I bought this combo set your talking about, what if I cant put it all in the fridge at once? do I do a little at a time?
-matt

I don't even have the vaguest idea of how much stock you have, but I'm not being specific on a certain fridge, just saying that I think it would be most convenient to own a refrigerator/freezer for future cigars you get in, as you said you wanted to start freezing them. My point is that if you just stick a cigar in a freezer, that's potentially harmful. Like emodx said:
I would double ziploc bag each box, put them in the fridge for 24 hours, then into the deep freezer for 48 hours, then back into the fridge for 24 hours.
That is very sound advice, but requires both a fridge and a freezer, hence why I think this way would be most convenient for you.

When I put all the cigars I can fit in the fridge from day one and than move them to the freezer, what do I do with the cigars that are done freezing? I wouldnt want to put them back in my humi with some box's I havent refridgerated or froze yet?

Thats my only concern...

-matt

btw- thank you for all your help

I see your point, but speculating is getting harder now. Tell me how many boxes you have (approximates are fine) and it'd be a lot of help. I only say this because how I'd handle it with 20 boxes is completely different than I would with 200.

I’ll chime in one more time.

It sounds to me like you have a problem that you are not equipped to handle. You have just spent $20,000. on an infested cigar inventory, and you don’t possess the equipment or the experience necessary to remedy the problem. (In other words: You don’t have a freezer big enough for the whole inventory at once, so it sounds like you would need a freezer plus two humidors: one for the cigars that have come out of freezing and one for those waiting to go in). If you do this wrong, you run the risk of further damaging the cigars and it becomes 100% your problem.

Right now, you probably have a good case against the former owner. You need to call a lawyer! Next, you can’t let the cigars suffer further damage while waiting for the matter to be settled (taking no action is just as bad as taking the wrong action). You should contact your wholesaler/distributor(s) (you must have, at least, one) and see what they suggest. They may have access to an industrial freezer that you could make use of. Or, they may tell you what you’ve already learned here. But, the bottom line is that in order to support your claim, you must show that you followed sound, industry practice. You can’t say “Aw, Gee, Your Honor, I followed the advice I received on a cigar bulletin board”.

This advice is fine for smokers. But, you have entered the big leagues. You have a lot invested, and you risk a big time loss if you don’t act like a professional.

lbrief said:
I’ll chime in one more time.

It sounds to me like you have a problem that you are not equipped to handle. You have just spent $20,000. on an infested cigar inventory, and you don’t possess the equipment or the experience necessary to remedy the problem. (In other words: You don’t have a freezer big enough for the whole inventory at once, so it sounds like you would need a freezer plus two humidors: one for the cigars that have come out of freezing and one for those waiting to go in). If you do this wrong, you run the risk of further damaging the cigars and it becomes 100% your problem.

Right now, you probably have a good case against the former owner. You need to call a lawyer! Next, you can’t let the cigars suffer further damage while waiting for the matter to be settled (taking no action is just as bad as taking the wrong action). You should contact your wholesaler/distributor(s) (you must have, at least, one) and see what they suggest. They may have access to an industrial freezer that you could make use of. Or, they may tell you what you’ve already learned here. But, the bottom line is that in order to support your claim, you must show that you followed sound, industry practice. You can’t say “Aw, Gee, Your Honor, I followed the advice I received on a cigar bulletin board”.

This advice is fine for smokers. But, you have entered the big leagues. You have a lot invested, and you risk a big time loss if you don’t act like a professional.
the owner is paying me for all the damaged cigars. But I want to fix the rest if I can.

I dont know what I should do than! :angry: Iam going to call a wholesaler tomorrow and find out.

-matt

What are my other options if I have any??? Could I call a exterminator like mentioned before? This seems like It would be a good idea and easy.

-matt

smokers only said:
the owner is paying me for all the damaged cigars. But I want to fix the rest if I can.
Make sure he will also pay you for any cigars that don’t survive the “fixing” process. And, make sure he’ll pay your costs associated with attempting the “fixing” process (i.e. purchasing a freezer, coolers for quarantining, etc.) Get it in writing.

smokers only said:
???? exterminator ????

-matt
See. . . this is what I’m trying to caution you about. If someone posts “Yes, call an exterminator” and you follow that advice, you are running a huge risk.

What kind of risk, well it’s two-fold.
First, there are potential problems with using the exterminator.
What does a Michigan exterminator know about tobacco beetles? if he does a poor job, the beetles won’t die, and your inventory will be eaten. Or, worse, your cigars may become tainted with poisons making the cigars un-smokeable, or sickening your customers.

Second, if the cigars do get ruined, either by a continuation of the infestation, or by becoming tainted with poisons, now you will be totally screwed! If you try to sue for the ruined stock, the seller will simply counter that you failed to exercise standard industry practices. (What evidence will you present to show that you did indeed adhere to industry practice? You can’t very well introduce this thread into evidence, it would hurt you big time) (Although, if this ever did go to litigation, you probably would, at this point, be obligated to disclose the existence of this thread, but that is a whole other topic).

Now, if you call the wholesaler (or other industry professionals) and you get documented, accountable advice from a known identifiable source, then you are covered. Even if the industry profs. tell you to get an exterminator, and things go horribly wrong, at least you can say you were adhering to industry practice.

There may well be industry professionals here at CP who will post on this board. But unless they give you their credentials, name, and contact info (and unless you verify their credentials) then that advice is absolutely worthless with respect to your current legal/financial position.

Again, advice on this board is great for hobbyists and enthusiasts. But it is not for you! You need to get professional help and professional advice. Not because the advice will be any different from what you learn here, but because you need to build a rock solid position from which to legally protect your investment.

-------------
Edit: OK, I'm done now. I think you get what I'm trying to say. I won't post anymore. I just don't want to see you risk such a huge investment. Good luck with your Beetle problem. And best of luck with your new shop. :thumbs:

Alright I talked to a freind of mine and I think I have the problem fixed.... Well for now at least.

Iam going to buy a freezer and he's bringing one there also, that way we can fit them all in there at once. Ill get rid of these little bastard's :angry: :angry:

Thanks for everyone's help and once I get this all fixed and my cigars are ok, you all will have some on me :) But thats when theres no beetles in there, I wouldnt send junk to you...

-matt

One other option if you run out of room, just put the cigars into Igloo's. They will only need a small humidification device if storing for a couple days. Igloo's are relatively chhep too. Best of luck!

Emo