• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Beginner questions

No, I don't believe so. Keep in mind, I mentioned that particular model because it is one of my personal favorites. You will likely find favorable opinions for many different models if you sought out other opinions. I'd go the internet route for the purchase, and likely from one of the companies I linked to previously.
I looked on amazon and the caliber digital has the ratings and most ratings. I'd like to find it in a store so I don't have to pay shipping. Or maybe another brand of digital hydrometer I could find locally.

I bought my last Caliber III at the real J&R cigar store. $19 obviously no shipping. I now have 3-4 of them and they all read the same. I have another model, digital, that came free with my humi. POS. Caliber III IMHO.

I looked on amazon and the caliber digital has the best and most ratings. I'd like to find it in a store so I don't have to pay shipping. Or maybe another brand of digital hydrometer I could find locally.
You say shipping charge; I say sales tax. They often cancel each other out. You often find a better selection for better pricing on the internet. It's nice to develop relationships with your local cigar shop(s). Another canceling out proposition. Vote your dollar with what makes sense at the time.

I gotta admit, I find it a bit curious you were so keen to purchase a humidor through the internet, only to pause at paying shipping charges for a tiny hygrometer by also going the internet route.

I looked on amazon and the caliber digital has the best and most ratings. I'd like to find it in a store so I don't have to pay shipping. Or maybe another brand of digital hydrometer I could find locally.
You say shipping charge; I say sales tax. They often cancel each other out. You often find a better selection for better pricing on the internet. It's nice to develop relationships with your local cigar shop(s). Another canceling out proposition. Vote your dollar with what makes sense at the time.

I gotta admit, I find it a bit curious you were so keen to purchase a humidor through the internet, only to pause at paying shipping charges for a tiny hygrometer by also going the internet route.
Well I wanted to jump on that 20 capacity humidor with 8 cigars included, it would have probably took me awhile to find a deal like that locally. Also since the humidor is larger then the little hygrometer, I feel like I'm getting my moneys worth with $5 shipping, where as I would have to pay at least $5 for shipping for a hygrometer thats the size of a sunglasses case. If the site I bought the humidor from also sold hygrometers, then case closed, I would have bought both from there because of shipping. Theres also more humidors online to choose from then hygrometers.

do I need to get a hygrometer?

I'll be honest . . . I don't use one, just beads. Because they change from clear to opaque as they lose moisture, and are pre-calibrated to 65% I've just never felt the need to be more accurate than that. But I'm a low-tech kinda guy; an experienced cigar smoker who can generally tell the differences among too wet, too dry, and just right.

Starting out, yes, you should have a digital hygrometer. It'll help a lot with your initial seasoning and setup, and you'll be able to determine your preferred smoking humidity range. Consider it an educational expense.

~Boar

Don't forget that you have to season the humidor before you put your cigars in it! Use the search function as there is a ton of information about that already on here!

Don't forget that you have to season the humidor before you put your cigars in it! Use the search function as there is a ton of information about that already on here!
thanks. it says to wait 3 days before adding cigars, and even another day or two. The humidor I bought comes with 8 cigars, should I be worried about them drying out before I can put them in the humidor?

thanks. it says to wait 3 days before adding cigars, and even another day or two. The humidor I bought comes with 8 cigars, should I be worried about them drying out before I can put them in the humidor?

Smoke them during the next few days and you won't have to worry about them. ;)

Tupperware is your friend in the short term.

Smoke them during the next few days and you won't have to worry about them. ;)

Tupperware is your friend in the short term.
think they will last 3 days outside a humidor? I'm in south florida, we keep our house at like 78F

Only going to do a few of these...

Madelaine/Xikar Digital Hygrometer with Calibration
(you can calibrate these!)

round_digital.jpg

$18.00
FREE SHIPPING (TO THE LOWER 48 STATES)

http://cigarswag.com/index.php?main_page=p...;products_id=27

just got back from walmart. I got this and distilled water. its a +/-5% accuracy humidity reading. so if I keep it at 69-70% I should be ok, it was only $6.47 and thats why its not super accurate. I'm going to go season it now. I was talking to someone at cigars international and she said that to keep my cigars good till I get the humidor seasoned to put them in a ziplock bag(which they are already in) or tupperware. and to put the humidifier in the bag or tupperware, but I need the humidifier for seasoning the humidor so what should I do?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W6GLS2?smid=A...mp;linkCode=asn

eb91808a8da0cf89d9d45110.L.jpg

3cef808a8da0bf89d9d45110.L.jpg

A little update if anyone cares. it finished seasoning and I've my sticks in for over a day, its keeping a stable 68-70% RH

some pics:

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

IMG_1379.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

I just smoked the 5 vegas gold, it was alright, but I wouldn't smoke another. I smoked about 3/4 of it, is it ok to put it back in the humidor with the other cigars?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Never put a smoked cigar back in your humi. Saving a half-finished cigar to be smoked later is futile. Mark it off your list as "tried but never again" and move on to the next brand/vitola. That's the great part about this hobby: there's always the next one! :thumbs:

Derek

*edit to add: "you wouldn't put your ashtray in your humidor, would you?" - same difference

Ok, I figured I shouldn't put it back but wanted to make sure.

I thought it was common to smoke part of a cigar and smoke the rest a day later or something.

I know a lot of people do that, and that's up to you. I used to save a cigar for later but I've NEVER been able to revive it to it's original state (flavor, draw, etc.) so now if I'm done with a smoke no matter how much of it I've smoked, I just toss it. Derek is a wise man... there's always another!

It's better IMO to get into the practice of smoking a smaller vitola if you know you won't have enough time to enjoy a larger one. There are some especially delicious smaller cigars out there and a lot of smokers prefer them. Like coronas, petit coronas, etc. For example like a Tatuaje Angeles is I believe a 42 ring gauge (too lazy to look it up) and it's mighty tasty and takes less than 45 mins. to smoke.

Not to mention the Padilla 1932 La Perla, AF Short Story... just to name a few.

BTW congrats on the humidor! And the slippery slope for you begins... who's willing to bet a fiver on the over/under for when he gets his first 100 count humi? Then I say 9 months tops on a large coolidor or Vinotemp :)

Enjoy the ride!

This is the most patient thread I have read for a long time. It almost seems like it's surreal or someone is playing with us. :laugh:

Brian

Back