• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Beginner questions

If you are really gonna stick through in this hobby, you'll outgrow that humidor in no time flat. But I'm not knocking on small humidors. I think they're great for work. If you'll be able to store cigars at work, or some other satellite location, then go for it. You could send this one over there when you upgrade to a larger humidor at home. Otherwise, it's just too small. And if it's not too small, then you're just not into this hobby enough to spend much dough on it and a Tupperware type container is all you'll need.

Also, consider that if you really want to store your cigars right and well, then you're going to also need to spend money on a adjustable digital hygrometer and some type of good humidification, both of which will add up to more than how much that humidor costs. If you're going to just store five cigars, then tupperware will do.
As you'll soon learn, if you stick around, you'll outgrow that humidor very very quickly.

Dave is a great guy. Cheap Humidors is a reputable company. I've have a 300ct of his and it's worked great for the 3yrs I've had it.

Doc.

Dave is a great guy. Cheap Humidors is a reputable company. I've have a 300ct of his and it's worked great for the 3yrs I've had it.

Doc.

Absolutely agree. His customer service is excellent, and his products at very competitive prices.

I would not hesitate to recommend his store.

Agree x3! I got my first 300ct humi from Cheaphumidors (imperfect) and it has been excellent. Not one bit of imperfection on it. From the experience of myself and others, go bigger! If you don't have the funds right now to get at least a 75-100ct, get a tupperdor going and save up for one. You'll be glad you did.

Cheaphumidors is great! I have one of his cabinets. I got it quick, it looks nice, it holds perfect humidity, and best of all it was cheap.

I would recommend you look at a humidor that can hold at least 100 or so sticks. I outgrew my 150 count within a week of being on CP.

Another alternative to tuperware could be a coolerdor, they can hold a lot of sticks, and with beads are low maintence. Like others before me have stated your going to out grow that humidor WAY faster then you think.

Another alternative to tuperware could be a coolerdor, they can hold a lot of sticks, and with beads are low maintence. Like others before me have stated your going to out grow that humidor WAY faster then you think.

True, but everyone needs a pretty hummidor to smoke out of.

Doc

True, but everyone needs a pretty hummidor to smoke out of.

Doc

Absolutely Doc. Everybody always shouts out, "bypass the humidor and build a coolidor". I have one but I also have a cabinet and a few desktops that stay in continual use. That and they look purty.

The number 1 piece of advice is.... Get bigger then you are thinking. Alot bigger. For reals, this will definitely become a problem in the near future.
Good luck with the hunt and I hope your entrance into the cigar world is a fantastic one.

You might also want to check this out:

Link

It's about the same price but they throw in some beginner cigars, not great cigars, but good beginner cigars.

i'll look into a tupperware humidor. I doubt I would outgrow a 15-20 capacity humidor anytime soon, I'll be smoking once or twice a week. Would the plastic smell stay with the cigars because that wouldn't be fun. Would I just put a wet paper towel in there or what?

even if I got a $15-20 humidor, if I outgrew it super fast, its not like I lost a lot of money.

i'll look into a tupperware humidor. I doubt I would outgrow a 15-20 capacity humidor anytime soon, I'll be smoking once or twice a week. Would the plastic smell stay with the cigars because that wouldn't be fun. Would I just put a wet paper towel in there or what?

even if I got a $15-20 humidor, if I outgrew it super fast, its not like I lost a lot of money.

A) Oh trust me you will... We have all said that.

B) No paper towel. If you still want to stay cheap, go to a place like rag shop/wallmart and buy a little piece of floral foam, and wet it with distilled water.. DO NOT USE TAP WATER....

edit: spell check

I started out with the smaller humidors and end up with about 5 of them before i knew it. That becomes bear to manage and them all regulated at the right level. One will be two warm but not enough humidity, etc. Finally last year I set up a "cooledor". Its the best thing I ever did for my own sanity. I didn't go all crazy with it, just a basic family size cooler. I velcroed a thermometer/hygrometer (sp) inside, two sac of humidification beads, and one of those little airwick battery operated fans to keep the air moving. It works great. I didn't even line it with cedar or anything. Its mostly has full boxes in it. So I think that helps alot. Fortunately or unfornately I have already outgrown the coolerdor as of this week. So I am in the interim going to setup one or two of my smaller humidors and then work on getting another cooler. My ultimate goal is to covert my cedar closet in my basement into a walk in humidor as part of my basement renovation project. So I say all of that to say this cigar thing will become an addiction. :love: So plan for the future.

If your heart is set on getting a small humidor I would look at :This one.

It's only a couple bucks more and can hold more cigars, humidors can rarely hold as many cigars as they claim so bigger is better.

For humidity, both the one you mentioned and the one I linked to come with a humidifier. Some guys use just water on it but many would use a PG solution (sometimes called activator solution) and water. I would recommend you look into humidity beads, they are the easiest way to control humidity without any kind of recurring cost. After that for such a small humidor I would consider Boveda packets, they are cheaper than beads at about $4 each, but they will dry up in time and you will need to replace them.

If I were you I would start out with a tupperware humidor and use a Boveda packet for humidity. With the tupperware smell it before you put any cigars in it, if it has any kind of real strong smell use a different piece of tupperware. If the smell is mild wash it and let it air out with some baking soda inside, that should help with any smell.

I looked at some tupperware while I was in walmart today, it was hard to tell if it was air tight. I think I might get one of the humidors you guys mentioned, its only $20 so if it turns out to be too small I'll give it or sell it to my buddy. The humidifier that comes with it, what do I do? put water in it or what? I've never seen the inside of one.

I looked at some tupperware while I was in walmart today, it was hard to tell if it was air tight. I think I might get one of the humidors you guys mentioned, its only $20 so if it turns out to be too small I'll give it or sell it to my buddy. The humidifier that comes with it, what do I do? put water in it or what? I've never seen the inside of one.

Shitcan it and buy Vipers Beads.

Doc.

do I need to get a hygrometer?

thanks for the sugguestion Doc but I'll stick with what it's got for a little while.