• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Beginning Smoker

All good advice. Do not get the Thompsons package! Their product (cigars and humis) are questionable. I agree with the previous post . .. if you do not like them (very likely) you are stuck unless you return the entire combo. I initially bought a combo with 75 smokes and a humi. They misrepresented the features of the humi and the smokes were marginal at best. It was ahuge hassle to return the package and really put me off getting anything from them again. AND now that I have done more shopping around it turns out the Thompsons is one of (if not the most) expensive places to buy cigars.

Try this place for a good humi www.cheaphumidors.com I got my 125 humi from this guy and shipping, service and price were great.

Do go for the Newbie Sampler Trade as well. I got a great variety of very nice smokes for the minimum $50 buy in.

You may also want to try samplers from places like Cigars International, Holts, or (I hesitate to expose you to this) CigarBid auction website.

The advice about getting a coolerdore is good unless you like the "look" of a nice humidor.

Anyway welcome to the forum and enjoy.

Stay away from those sampler/humidor combos. For the most part they are just trying to get rid of crappy sticks and you are only paying for the humidor. As others suggested, do a Newbie Sampler trade, and check out Bargain Humidors for humidors.

As something of a newbie I think can add some also.

Having a humidor that looks nice on an end table etc is nice and there is something to be said for that.

Cheap Humidors should fill the bill

If you do some digging here and elsewhere most people dont like to deal with Thompson because their customer service sucks and they hound you to death to buy more stuff from them later. Since your looking at an entry level humi there may be some issues with it and if their CS sucks then you'll have trouble having that taken care of.

I say get a small humi from cheap humidors. Like 100-150 count. They have some with blemishs that are slightly cheaper if you dont care about a scratch. Your probably looking in the $50-60 range maybe less. Check out this thread. Check out Cigar Nexus as it has great info on setting up a new humi etc. Smoke some sticks and find out what you really like. The newbie trade will go a long way in that regard. Once you find what you really like then set up a coolidor with a stash and then replenish the small humi as you go.

Oh yeah get beads from the start for the humi. Comletely idiot proof.

just my $0.02.

I havent quite gotten to the step where Im ready to set up the coolidor but Im a little past half way there.

I also went to Cigar Af. online and made a small crib sheet of cigars that rated 85 or above and were priced reasonably. Its small enough to fit in my wallet and it helps me sort through the mountains of different sticks out there.

I think I saved it as a word file. If you would like it I can e-mail it to you.

Also if your a newb check out The complete Idiots Guide to Cigars. They sell it in the book store in the food section near the books about wine. Its a very good read.

Russell

Thompsons are the biggest rippoff artists on the net when it comes to cigars. There are hundreds of vendors that offer great prices and customer service. I wish to hell I would have found CP before I ordered from these a$$holes. Don't make the same mistake ;) Let me try and sumerize the great advice in this thread so far:

1) Buy Cooler
2) Sign up for Newbie Sampler Trade
3) Smoke :D

I would very much like a copy of that list hydro-terp. I will send you a PM with my e-mail address in it.

I will also check out those 2 humidor websites. They look promising. For my coolerdor though I think I found the perfect thing to use as a container. I have a fire-proof/air-proof safe which is currently just sitting in my closet. Has enough room for probably 30 or so cigars. So that should work out nicely.

Now I just have to wait to get paid Friday to purchase stuff!

Welcome aboard!

Head over to the newbie trade, you won't regret it! I just got my package, and there are some things I probably would never have been able to get and I feel like a kid with a box of new toys :p

Welcome aboard brother!!! I don't know if anyone dropped the Cbid bomb yet or not. Frankly, I was too lazy to read all of these fockers posts. :laugh:

CLICK HERE

That's right, I'm a shepherd for the Devil! :p

Yeah, more replies!

Thanks for all the welcomes! As soon as I get some cash, which will be Friday, I'll get going on that newbie thread. I have enough money to buy the stuff I'll need for my coolerdor, so I will probably get started on that tomorrow. Get it all setup, let it get stable and get the right humidity. I think by the time the cigars arrive it should be all nice and ready. :) Over all, I am going to be spending $100 on starting up. 100 - coolderdor expenses (about 30 I believe). The remainder will go toward the smokes. Maybe a little more, depending on how much the coolerdor costs.

Again, Newbie Trade thread. And put you address in the profile. No one has ever abused that to my knowledge and you never know.

You don't even need a humidor yet. Just get 10 or so cigars from the newbie trade or gifts that someone may( :cool: ) send you if you put in your address in your profile. Just use a zip lock bag to store them, smoke only one or two a week and see if this is for you.

Since you are 18 here is some free advice

1. Don't inhale.
2. Don't inhale.
3. Don't inhale.

Just see if the fragrance and graceful experience of a good smoke is for you.

I tell my kids to do as I did---start when you are 40. Fat lot of good that did! :laugh:

newbie trade is good idea...

IMHO:
I think some people are a bit too strong with Thompson.
Thompson Cigar:
as with all things, watch what they are selling....
they sell name brand sticks, and some of their humidors/sampler
sets are based on name brand sticks...
Some are not, the humidor and the 2 or 4 boxes or bundles of 25
are almost certainly a low end cigars, most are still probably better than
what you get at the local 7-11 or Farm store.

like the $59 deal -
2 bundles of 25 (their choice), humi, cutter, lighter
say the humi, ligher, and cutter are worth $30,
you paid $30 for 50 cigars, 60 cents each... fine yard gars.
but if you really didn't like either of their picks, then you lose
out, but if you like one and hate the other, you spend $30 for 25 cigars

Check out mikes cigar...
they sell samplers, 13 cigars for $12,

hudsonvalley said:
Again, Newbie Trade thread.  And put you address in the profile.  No one has ever abused that to my knowledge and you never know.

1. Don't inhale.
2. Don't inhale.
3. Don't inhale.

[snapback]195785[/snapback]​

As much as I would like to receive some gifts from people, I don't think I can. As I said before, even though I am 18, my parents don't really approve of my smoking. (They both being non-smokers their entire life, not even a cigarette) While I doubt they would go through my room and throw stuff away. But, if I received a little package with a "Enjoy the smokes" on the front of it, I have no doubt whatsoever that I would never lay eyes on it. Especially if I didn't know it was coming. While it is unfair, I still do live under their roof so...not much I can do. I might get a PO box, are those expensive? I'll have to look into that sometime soon.

It's already gonna suck to have to smoke outside. It's just starting to get hot up here, about 90 today. And as I said they don't smoke, so no smoking in the house. I can't wait for the winter though. Get the fireplace going on my deck and just kick back and relax.

I know not to inhale!! :) Just because I am 18 don't assume I know nothing. But thanks for the advice anyhow.

Once again, thanks for the advice that has been given. Getting lots of good information here.

When I first started smoking cigars I ordered a box of Partagas 8-9-8's from Thompsons cigar, it costs me $245.00.

Now that I know what the hell I am doing that same box costs me $110.00

Thats a $150 savings per box.

Trust me I am a typical CP resident cigar whore, don't order from Thompsons and do the newbie pass.

Rich

Oh welcome to CP from california

I only started smoking cigars a few weeks ago, and after 2 days my landlord asked me to do it outside. I smoked cigarettes for the first 7 years I was here (quit 4 years ago) and they never complained, but I can see why he didn't want the cigar smoke. To be honest, I'd rather not have all my stuff wreak of smoke anyway, so sitting in a beach chair outside with one of my laptops & the wireless is fine for me (sucks when it rains of course).

Smart of you to listen to them - until they ask you to leave (or you get your own apartment) it's their rules, and the benifits far outweigh anything else while you still live at home. As far as anyone sending you stuff, I don't think anyone is going to have a "hey look at all these cigars" label on the packages, but it's your call :) (not that anyone sends me anything though :whistling: )

Well, I just finished smoking another Thompson cigar. This one wasn't nearly as good as the first one I smoked. It was really hard to draw. I mean I really had to suck on the thing to just get any smoke through. Cigars are suppose to be a little difficult to draw, correct? It had a really uneven burn to it aswell, like only one side of the cigar was burning, kind of wierd. I didn't even finish the whole thing, pitched it about half-way through. Looking forward to getting some better quality cigars through the newbie trade. I'll probably PM the person up tomorrow after work.

I decided I will put my address in my profile also. I'll just put some labels to be dicreet about what's in the package. Hopefully my parents won't open them or anything. If they do, hopefully they won't throw them away.

Nathan Rahl said:
Well, I just finished smoking another Thompson cigar. This one wasn't nearly as good as the first one I smoked. It was really hard to draw. I mean I really had to suck on the thing to just get any smoke through. Cigars are suppose to be a little difficult to draw, correct? It had a really uneven burn to it aswell, like only one side of the cigar was burning, kind of wierd. I didn't even finish the whole thing, pitched it about half-way through. Looking forward to getting some better quality cigars through the newbie trade. I'll probably PM the person up tomorrow after work.

I decided I will put my address in my profile also. I'll just put some labels to be dicreet about what's in the package. Hopefully my parents won't open them or anything. If they do, hopefully they won't throw them away.
[snapback]195953[/snapback]​

Good call, Nathan. The Newbie trade is the way to go. The FOGs will fix you up. :thumbs:

BTW, it's good to see another Goodkind fan on the board. Took me a bit to place where I had heard the name Nathan Rahl. Nice. :D

Alright, got some better news!

My brother is also getting into smoking cigars, just like me. He is 19, and Sunday he is taking off for the Navy. While that may not seem like the best thing in the world, it works out really well.

He ordered a humidor and 25 cigars from Thompson. It was like $50 and the humidor holds like 50 cigars. While he is not on leave, I get to take care of his cigars. He will also be sending back cigars he picks up from traveling and what not in the Navy. Or just ordering them online and having them sent here. So, all I got to do is have anything that is sent to me, sent here with his name on it. I can just say they are his cigars and they will think nothing of it. :D Problem solved with the parents opening my mail!! Also saves me money to buy a humidor. Though as people have said, Thompson isn't that great, so I might have to buy one myself eventually.

And yes, Goodkind is awesome. I can't wait for his next book to come out.

Back