• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Beginning Smoker

Sorry to double post, but I got some more cool news.

We found a cigar shop that is located about 45 mins away. We are going to head up there Tomorrow and see what we can find. Anyone got some quick suggestions for some nice beginning singles that I can get? I'm gonna take about 40 - 50 bucks up there with me. So I am looking to pick up some 2 - 3 dollar singles. While up there I will probably pick up a butane lighter and a guillotine cutter.

I'm a big fan of the Chateau Fuente (sungrown and maduro) and the 8-5-8's - but they are more like $4-5. I had a La Gloria Cubana (Wavell) last night and they're prtty good (~$3). I've seen good things about Fumas, and Flor de Oliva and plan to try them soon.

welcome to cp....
try to find some or all of these

Flor de Oliva
Fonseca
Montesino
CAO-gold
Helix

these are mild,tasty,aned run from about $2 to say $6

hopefully someone there will have some suggestions...i work in a cigsr store so i
help people like you everyday

welcome to CP Nathan... my 02 cents:
buy a $2 cigar cutter, and a cheap torch. Look on ebay or bargain humidors, you can find a (minimum) 120 count that should suit your needs. It sounds large, but really the sticks add up.
Trade, trade, trade.

Just tell your folks you found Playboy magazine on special ;)

Alrighty! Back from the cigar shop, which by the way, I am never going to again. Maybe it's just my inexperience, but these cigars were really expensive. I ended up getting:

CAO gold
Carlos Torano
Flor de Oliva
Montesino

Took a picture

Also got a cutter and some matches. I didn't feel like buying a lighter, they were like 20 bucks for the cheapest one. Not to mention they were to flashy for me. I just wanted something plain but well made. Anyways, everything ended up costing about 40 dollars. The cutter was like 15, the cigars were about 22. I wasn't expecting to pay that much or I would have gotten a few more. But oh well. I still got to do the newbie trade yet.

The people in there were real nice. I am guessing I looked a little nervous walking into a shop full of old guys smoking big cigars. The first thing they said to me when I walked in was that there weren't any bongs here. Had a good laugh. Felt alot more relaxed after that. If you guys don't think I paid to much for those, I'll probably go back.

Well I smoked the Flor de Oliva and the Carlos Torano.

I really like the Flow de Olive one. Had a great taste. I haven't smoked enough to get into alot of detail so all I'll say is that is was good.

The Torano on the other had, was not so good. It seemed really bland to me and didn't have much flavor to it. But oh well, gotta have some let downs I guess.

I'll probably smoke another one Tomorrow if I have time. I worked like 15 hours today, so didn't have any time to smoke one.

if im not mistaken i think the montesino is sungrown. it could pack a little punch but it sure is yummy. the cao gold is a fine smoke too. the two you have left should be the better of the 4. IMHO :thumbs:

Nathan Rahl said:
Well I smoked the Flor de Oliva and the Carlos Torano.

I really like the Flow de Olive one. Had a great taste. I haven't smoked enough to get into alot of detail so all I'll say is that is was good.

I just oredered a bundle of these from atlantic (25 for $25) - hope I'll like them too :)

The people in there were real nice. I am guessing I looked a little nervous walking into a shop full of old guys smoking big cigars. The first thing they said to me when I walked in was that there weren't any bongs here. Had a good laugh. Felt alot more relaxed after that. If you guys don't think I paid to much for those, I'll probably go back.

You'll pretty much always pend more at a local shop. The main thing is the service, and it sounds like they treated you good there. You can pay for the knowledge that experience gives you, but a helpful shop is the next best thing. Use them for trying singles out, then buy boxes of the stuff you lie where ever you can find the best prices.

What did the band look like on the Torano? There is 1 line that Torano makes that is fairly bland. Give a rest of the Torano's a try. They are a decent cigaar by flavor and value. Also, Indian Tabac is a good value for a decent cigar.

Emo

Well smoked a Torano Exodus Silver this evening, and it was a nice smoke..
Certainly not bland

emodx said:
What did the band look like on the Torano? There is 1 line that Torano makes that is fairly bland. Give a rest of the Torano's a try. They are a decent cigaar by flavor and value. Also, Indian Tabac is a good value for a decent cigar.

Emo
[snapback]196397[/snapback]​

The Torano I smoked was a Nicaragua Sel. I think. Something like that. If you looks in the picture I posted, the Torano is the second cigar from the right. Has a red label.

Woo! Well my humidor came in today. I am currently salt testing the hydrometer. Been going for a few hours, and it is staying steady at about 75 humidity. I think I will let it set out over night and see the results. Tomorrow morning I will probably adjust the hydrometer, and start letting the humidifier get the box ready. So by Thursday morning it should be all ready for the cigars to go in. For the instructions they sent me, it says to just use regular distilled water. But shouldn't you mix the distilled water with Propelyne Glycol?