• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Being A Noob Here (Long)

Juanote

The sound of one hand fapping
I had no idea what a "cigar pass" was before registering in this forum. Some key noob primers are not functional any longer so it took me a little while to understand its purpose.

Now that I have an idea I admit to having mixed feelings about it.

I'm a generous person and I earn a decent living. In my youth I was generous to a fault and had a hard time accepting it in return. Now I'm always getting onto my wife for trying to avoid the generosity of others, and always insisting on picking up the check or paying the tab, or always finding a way to slip someone cash when they are not looking. I tell her all the time that friendship entails mutual generosity, without placing too much emphasis upon it. Mutual generosity indicates recognition of the value inherent in the company being kept, and thereby becomes progressively less important as the friendship develops. If mutual generosity remains a prominent concern in the relationship, then there is no room for the friendship to develop. Ultimately, friends trust one another's motives or they are not friends.

So now I am a noob on this forum.

Now that I understand the nature of this community, I also understand the social dynamic. In order to gain trust here, a person must first establish bona fides as a BOTL to assure that they are not a troll or pirate looking for a freebie or to make a nuisance. It could hardly be otherwise in this day and age.

So a humble attitude that patiently cultivates friendships is the price of admission to the community table. Else the obvious fun and mutual generosity of cigar passing would be impossible without some assurance that the intentions of the majority of people can be trusted.

But I had no idea that I was placing myself in a position akin to supplication when I joined, and so I never intended to exchange a humble attitude for trust, friendship, and material generosity. And though the nature of this forum requires this patient and humble attitude, I welcome the freely given friendship of other BOTL. But finding myself in this humble position unexpectedly makes it impossible for me to accept anyone's material generosity.

In saying that I judge no one, nor do I wish to impugn the fine and clearly entertaining practice of cigar passing. Indeed I look forward to the experience of passing with some interest, and hope to participate someday. Nor do I second guess the implications of the bombing that is also occurring. 

But the benefit that interests me is the sharing of an experience with a community that finds the same value in it, leading to the cultivation of that experience via its mutual enjoyment. That is what I am doing when I share a smoke with friends in the real world. And that is what I hope to experience here, and I hope you feel the same way.

That was very eloquently put. 
I really enjoyed reading your post, thank you for sharing buddy!

Very nice intro. It's nice to see someone new come in, read the rules, get an understanding of the forum and community, and give such a well spoken introduction. Seems as if you'll fit in quite well here. Welcome aboard!

Welcome to CP! I enjoyed your introduction and look forward to your future participation.

I enjoyed how you articulated the value of the experience.  This value has different meanings for different people and I believe you'll find your time here meaningful.  Welcome from TN!

To many big words.   Can someone translate for me?

Welcome. 

Thanks again, everyone, for your kind words of welcome. :)

Bsneed51 said:

Welcome. 

You, sir, are intriguing. I will try not to get carried away again.

The other fellow did a fine job of summarizing my thoughts.

If I must add something, it is that I hope to enhance my enjoyment of cigars by association with the like minded, whatever their experience.

So thanks for the welcome. :)

That has to be one of the best intro posts I've seen in a LONG time.  It looks like you are going to enjoy your time here.

I have to second or third that your post is well thought out and written. I usually get bored reading long posts, but yours I enjoyed. I think you hit
the nail on the head about the "brotherhood" of cigars and this forum.
Oh, welcome to CP from Ohio.

Bsneed51 said:

"...if you screw up or screw a BOTL, IronPeddler will move in across the street from you and ruin your property values...among other things...".

Thanks so much everyone. I'm humbled... in a good way. :)

Welcome aboard from the Reconstructed Beaches of the New Jersey Shore...Exit 82 for those in the know.

It would appear that you already have a firm grasp of the community dynamic here at CP, your missive describing trust, camaraderie, and the patience needed to cultivate new found fellowships was refreshing to read. The notion of creating a pseudo-friendship based on written word only is a challenge in a society devoid of putting pen to paper, yet this is realized here at Cigar Pass quite frequently....even with the removal of cigars from the acquaintanceship. In addition to your keen observance of what is required to exist in this realm of cyberspace, I must applaud you on the proper use of punctuation as well. Devil Doc will be most appreciative of your talent in the breadth of syntax and grammar. 

Enjoy your stay!

BlindedByScience said:

"...if you screw up or screw a BOTL, IronPeddler will move in across the street from you and ruin your property values...among other things...".

While true, a few experiences you will also benefit from by having me as a close geographic acquaintance is the steady stream of scantily clad women visiting my residence during the warmer months, voluminous music of all genres played during our frequent outdoor soirées, pleasant tasting BBQ prepared in its proper & authentic style, and an abundance of cigars of different origins coupled with the availability of alcoholic beverages of all varieties. A scenario quite hard to resist to the average male in today's commonwealth.

On a personal note, I would whole heartedly enjoy having someone such as myself as a neighbor, especially if you're not bound to just one female companion in your life....like yours truly. ;)

The eloquence in the rhetoric spoken in such posts before mine hath my head spinning much like enjoying a Chisel on an empty stomach.

Welcome!